Wiki Posts
Search

The Kettle Ham Sandwich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
The Kettle Ham Sandwich

Took my last (DL) flights of 2011 today and it really hit me how much DL's target market has changed during "the year of the customer." A couple of items from today:

1) On check-in at the kiosk in MCO, a couple of Kettles were checking in next to me. They complained that the kiosk wouldn't let them check-in. As it turned out, their handwritten PNR was too scribbled to be accurately read. The agent proceeded to check them in and they asked if there were available seats together. The agent replies "no... <pause>... unless you are willing to sit in an exit row." The husband Kettle jumps at the offer, but then the agent drops the bomb, "because those are premium seats, it will be $29 each." Out comes the CC & DL is $58 richer. My immediate assumption was that they were traveling transcon, but after waiting around to find out I discovered they were going to.... wait for it.... RDU! They dropped $58 to sit in 8A/B on a CRJ!

2) AMEX hawkers in the ATL-A concourse were out in full force. There were 5 of them plugging their plastic wares! Loudly, too... "Sir, come sign up for a free flight! It won't cost you anything!" "Ma'am step right up to a free ticket to anywhere Delta flies!"

3) ATL-B25 SkyClub was just teaming with Kettles! Someone in the corner was raving about her Groupon deal while my wife was unable to get a full glass of water from the bar ("we're out, would you like something from the premium bar?"). Then I saw the image that put everything unto focus for me: a businessman huddled in one of the small chairs (where the cubicles used to be) surrounded by 2 families with small, screaming children. He had on his Bose headphones, but he eventually gave up and left the club (could have been going to his flight though).

Today, I've realized that "the year of the customer" did not mean that it would be a year focused on customer satisfaction, but rather a year focused on changing who DL's customers are. The great transition from road warriors to Kettles, loyal frequent flyers to 1-flight-per-year AMEX holders is nearly complete. How will they go from 200M to 1B in ancillary revenues next year? The Kettle Ham Sandwich.

I hope (for DL's sake) they are investing in the right market segment...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Kettle Tuna?

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Took my last (DL) flights of 2011 today and it really hit me how much DL's target market has changed during "the year of the customer." A couple of items from today:

1) On check-in at the kiosk in MCO, a couple of Kettles were checking in next to me. They complained that the kiosk wouldn't let them check-in. As it turned out, their handwritten PNR was too scribbled to be accurately read. The agent proceeded to check them in and they asked if there were available seats together. The agent replies "no... <pause>... unless you are willing to sit in an exit row." The husband Kettle jumps at the offer, but then the agent drops the bomb, "because those are premium seats, it will be $29 each." Out comes the CC & DL is $58 richer. My immediate assumption was that they were traveling transcon, but after waiting around to find out I discovered they were going to.... wait for it.... RDU! They dropped $58 to sit in 8A/B on a CRJ!

2) AMEX hawkers in the ATL-A concourse were out in full force. There were 5 of them plugging their plastic wares! Loudly, too... "Sir, come sign up for a free flight! It won't cost you anything!" "Ma'am step right up to a free ticket to anywhere Delta flies!"

3) ATL-B25 SkyClub was just teaming with Kettles! Someone in the corner was raving about her Groupon deal while my wife was unable to get a full glass of water from the bar ("we're out, would you like something from the premium bar?"). Then I saw the image that put everything unto focus for me: a businessman huddled in one of the small chairs (where the cubicles used to be) surrounded by 2 families with small, screaming children. He had on his Bose headphones, but he eventually gave up and left the club (could have been going to his flight though).

Today, I've realized that "the year of the customer" did not mean that it would be a year focused on customer satisfaction, but rather a year focused on changing who DL's customers are. The great transition from road warriors to Kettles, loyal frequent flyers to 1-flight-per-year AMEX holders is nearly complete. How will they go from 200M to 1B in ancillary revenues next year? The Kettle Ham Sandwich.

Hope we can do Kettle tuna, also.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Wouldn't it be a kick if Delta were to transform itself overnight to an airline which only served Elite and Elite Plus customers. Imagine how nice with no kettles. Discuss.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Really disliking the loud, crowded SkyClubs. Biggest devaluation of 2011. They used to be an Oasis (JFK T4 joke) from the standing-room only, CNN-blaring, cart beeping, disgusting chair airport gates. Now all that is moving into the SkyClub.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Wouldn't it be a kick if Delta were to transform itself overnight to an airline which only served Elite and Elite Plus customers. Imagine how nice with no kettles. Discuss.
Earlier this year, a family of kettles boarded, walked back to about row 30 on a 757, looked at their boarding passes (for the first time? maybe...) realized that they were in row 20-something, looked baffled for a moment, then realized that 20 comes before 30 in almost every number system.

I've posted here before about requiring an IQ test before allowing people on the plane, and every time I fly I find more evidence to support my claim...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
They dropped $58 to sit in 8A/B on a CRJ
Honestly, it's worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tkey75
Honestly, it's worth it.
On a CRJ? No it's not. You really don't get any extra legroom at all, and the seat cushions are much less padded. The best seats are 1B/C (1B is better than 1C) because you can at least get one foot around the bulkhead divider.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
On a CRJ? No it's not. You really don't get any extra legroom at all, and the seat cushions are much less padded. The best seats are 1B/C (1B is better than 1C) because you can at least get one foot around the bulkhead divider.
I find there's a significant amount of extra legroom and always choose the exit row. I guess I assumed all seats on CRJ's were as poorly padded as I've never sat anywhere but.

Aren't bulkheads also preferred (pay) seats for non-status holders?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
start with 19?

Originally Posted by captaink
Earlier this year, a family of kettles boarded, walked back to about row 30 on a 757, looked at their boarding passes (for the first time? maybe...) realized that they were in row 20-something, looked baffled for a moment, then realized that 20 comes before 30 in almost every number system.

I've posted here before about requiring an IQ test before allowing people on the plane, and every time I fly I find more evidence to support my claim...
Let's be fair. Who besides FF's would expect the first row to be 19 (if they boarded 2L)?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
^^^^ you got that right, best of the worst is 1B !
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

1) This is just plain, flat-out unethical. There are no "premium" seats on a CRJ-200, shame on DL. Somebody in marketing needs to watch Anderson's droning video about what an honest company he runs from behind the magic desk.

2) "A free ticket to anywhere DL flies"? Someone should ask these charlatans if the offer is inclusive of Sydney.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
1B/1C is good unless you have a carryon. Overheads in the first couple rows are invariably used for emergency equipment and FA bags. I always try for 3B on a CRJ200 because I almost always carry on.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by AKC6
Let's be fair. Who besides FF's would expect the first row to be 19 (if they boarded 2L)?
I submit that it almost as logical that what we think of as the "last" row of seats (nearest the tail) should be numbered row 1.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Amex Plat, DL Amex Res, HHonors Gold, Choice Diamond, Hertz 5 Star

Holy $%&t.....wow. How thin will Delta be able to shave this ham?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass

they're probably used to flying WN . . . "what the heck, there's seat numbers on this?!!?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.