Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone in the Air on New Years Eve?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Hertz Gold
Anyone in the Air on New Years Eve?

I've traveled on just about every major holiday but this will be my first time flying on New Years Eve: ATL - LAX, on the 777. Likely to be my last flight as a PM before dropping back to GM for 2012. Alas no UG to the lie-flat on this one as the forward cabin appears to be sold out (i.e. zero "J" availability), somewhat inexplicably. Now if I can just remember where I stashed all those drink coupons that expire at the end of the year...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I will be...alas, it will likely be on a Continental Express ERJ-145 on BNA-EWR...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I did SFO-JFK a couple of years ago. Cleared to BE at the window, cleared the new year over Nevada
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:25 pm

Flying on AC YVR to EWR. We arrive to EWR at 11:50pm just in time to say Happy New Year's to the ground staff. Cheers and best of 2012 to everyone!!!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:47 am

I've always wanted to fly on 1/1 or 7/4 just to see fireworks out the window of an aircraft
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Flying JFK-PUJ, in the morning.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skoker
I've always wanted to fly on 1/1 or 7/4 just to see fireworks out the window of an aircraft
I had a chance to do this in 2009 I think during the approach into SFO. Perfect conditions; great visibility. Because we came in from the south, we first saw east bay local fireworks from at least several thousand feet. Then we swung across San Jose and turned up the west bay coast and saw the west bay works from a lower vantage point. i was lucky enough to have a pilot side seat.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: DL EOS...
1st tip, always book a window seat on July 4th!

'got lucky July 4 couple years ago departing SAN just after dark. Caught several displays on a clear night on our circle and climb. It's kinda different and kewl to see 'em burst from above.

Another 4th coming from the east we caught a few displays over the midwest from 30k. Not as large and dramatic compared to low altitude but saw several going on at the same time scattered across the countryside.

New Years eve? 'done it many times and will again this year. Confirmed on eve but will likely SDC to am.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes. Milestones also. My wife and I are travelling on New Years on a TATL. DL65. 4 hour wait in ATL - but have the SCs once we have cleared Immigration and agriculture etc. Then connecting to the ATL-IND flight. On the TATL flight my wife turns from FO to GM for the first time on any airline and I go from GM to PM for the first time on any airline. A big milestone for us.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I will be somewhere over the So. China sea when it is midnight back here.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
New Year's down here on the ground

A friend and I have been trying to book something for this New Year's weekend for at least the last six months and nothing good has turned up. Strange. I almost always fly somewhere on the last weekend of each year.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:04 am

Online seat map shows 16 J class unsold.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Spent last NYE in 7A of the 777 from DTW to HKG. No fireworks but plenty of bubbly.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
OKC-DFW-BUR on AA, get into BUR @ 9:50PM...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bstreeter
I had a chance to do this in 2009 I think during the approach into SFO. Perfect conditions; great visibility. Because we came in from the south, we first saw east bay local fireworks from at least several thousand feet. Then we swung across San Jose and turned up the west bay coast and saw the west bay works from a lower vantage point. i was lucky enough to have a pilot side seat.
Had a chance to see July 4th fireworks one year, flying BUF-ATL and saw a ton of them down the eastern seaboard. Pretty cool seeing them from above.

As others have said make sure you book a window seat as you'll be entertained for hours.

edit - never flew on New Years Eve .... or really any other holiday for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.