Wiki Posts
Search

Does DL Crap on FLL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Does DL Crap on FLL

So I'm in the FLL SC now going through delay misery, flights to ATL and JFK are delayed by hours delayed due to apparent "weather" in each of those cities DTW also has some delays. However when I look at flights departing from those cities flights appear to be leaving on time. I think DL purposely sacrifices flights from FLL maybe because we are a less important market? But that always seems to be the case they always ground delay flights from FLL!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by delanet
So I'm in the FLL SC now going through delay misery, flights to ATL and JFK are delayed by hours delayed due to apparent "weather" in each of those cities DTW also has some delays. However when I look at flights departing from those cities flights appear to be leaving on time. I think DL purposely sacrifices flights from FLL maybe because we are a less important market? But that always seems to be the case they always ground delay flights from FLL!

Quick look at the weather map shows some ugly weather between Michigan and the eastern seaboard. ATL could be okay, but possibly high winds could be affecting flights...

It IS that time of year...for ice, snow, wind, rain and other weather delays...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Flightstats.com is showing a ground delay program at ATL due to equipment failures. Average 82 minute hold. Don't worry, I'm stuck in TPA and were getting the same.

David
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
That isn't my experience at FLL. When things are bad in ATL, most of the system seems to slow down. JFK slows down international flights. Check online for delays from other cities and I"m sure they will be slowed down as well.

One a positive note, the SC at FLL is very nice and the agents are the best. You probably have Donna, Helen, Terry, and/or Robert working today. They are great! Enjoy!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Even paranoids have enemies!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Rainy and a little breezy here in the New York City metro area. As soon as the first drops start hitting, all NYC airports seem to go into a GDP. Getting flights out isn't necessarily an issue, getting planes in is though.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
That isn't my experience at FLL. When things are bad in ATL, most of the system seems to slow down. JFK slows down international flights. Check online for delays from other cities and I"m sure they will be slowed down as well.

One a positive note, the SC at FLL is very nice and the agents are the best. You probably have Donna, Helen, Terry, and/or Robert working today. They are great! Enjoy!
Yeah Donna was ok, but I wouldnt say above and beyond. She didnt take me through all of the options that I knew were open to me, I kinda felt she couldnt really be bothered. I spose she must be busy today.

Anyway second delay now 2.48 JFK flight is now leaving at 5.27 flights seem to be departing JFK and ATL on time.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Anyway second delay now 2.48 JFK flight is now leaving at 5.27 flights seem to be departing JFK and ATL on time.
As I said above, the issue for delays is not getting planes out but getting them in - getting them in during bad weather requires even more horizontal seperation than under normal operations, so instead of taking 80 arrivals an hour, it might only be 50.

For departures, it's not as strict - you might take a slight hit in the number of departures, but it's nowhere near as bad as the arrival hit.

Add in the fact that you've got a lot of planes coming in from Europe, which took off about 5-6 hours ago when there weren't issues at JFK, and they'll get to keep going and they'll keep short haul flights on the ground until they can sequence them in.

The planes leaving had gotten into ATL/JFK fine before the Ground Delay Programs...however, as the arrival rate drops, the departure rate will inevitably drop as those planes that are arriving make up the next round of departures - less planes coming in means less planes coming out.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It's not FLL it's ATL (and NYC). When I live in the mid-atlantic, ATL connect was a must avoid. Now that I live in the midwest, I'd sooner drive 6 hours for a direct flight to Florida than connect in ATL.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
What a lovely airport...FOR ME TO POOP ON!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
What a lovely airport...FOR ME TO POOP ON!
Hahaha my thoughts exactly!!! In the air now. Itin now says I will get to lax at 1.40am oh joy! Well fingers crossed it's no later.

Interestingly enough I was protected in X I'm guessing the agent did this manually as JFK-lax only usually clears upgrades at the gate? Cabin is wide open now.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Hahaha my thoughts exactly!!! In the air now. Itin now says I will get to lax at 1.40am oh joy! Well fingers crossed it's no later.

Interestingly enough I was protected in X I'm guessing the agent did this manually as JFK-lax only usually clears upgrades at the gate? Cabin is wide open now.
The weather sucks everywhere. JFK was on an AR reduction. Stop complaining. My flight was cxld but im not on here btchng and moaning.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
The weather sucks everywhere. JFK was on an AR reduction. Stop complaining. My flight was cxld but im not on here btchng and moaning.
Awesome wanna cookie?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by DLDMFLL

Really? I thought the FLL SC was tiny and overcrowded
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
FLL SC is adequate for the size of the operation there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.