Wiki Posts
Search

Gate advertisement....buy first class?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HH Diamond, Marriot Silver, National Exec. Elite
Gate advertisement....buy first class?

Waiting for a flight at msp and just noticed there is a new advertisement on the screen for people to buy first class for $75. Is this new? I have not seen this before.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by srm2710
Waiting for a flight at msp and just noticed there is a new advertisement on the screen for people to buy first class for $75. Is this new? I have not seen this before.
It's been a long time, but I've seen this happen in the past - usually all Medallions had been upgraded and there were still empty seats available up front. It often required a K fare or higher.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Got my answer.... More seats than upgrades so they are selling them. I guess I have never seen that before.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
This has been around for years. They will sell FC (but not for the deeply discounted fare levels) if they can't find enough Medallions to UG.

IF they follow the rules, no Medallions are harmed.

If you observe otherwise, report it here.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Roger that... It appears to be on the up and up. No shenanigans.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, DL GM, SPG Gold

I saw this the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:27 am

The airport I see it at the most is SLC. What's amazing is the amount of people that are willing to do it, especially on short flights.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry it has been a while since I could shout shenanigans)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:43 am

Flew AMS-ORD and they did the same for F and C. Albeit, a much higher price, haha.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:47 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by Bearclaw500
Flew AMS-ORD and they did the same for F and C. Albeit, a much higher price, haha.
how much?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by runfit
The airport I see it at the most is SLC. What's amazing is the amount of people that are willing to do it, especially on short flights.
NW used to allow people to do it the night before when checking or at the kiosk if there were a lot of empty seats in F instead of waiting at the gate.

It amazes me as well people pay it. I have seen people pay $50 for ORD/DTW in the past. Assuming you get a PDB on the flight (which is very hit/miss on that route) there is only enough time for 1 drink in the air and no meal service and it's only about 40 to 45 minutes gate to gate.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:19 am

It's the same standby upgrade program that's been there for years, the agent has to manually select and show that screen on GIDS, and then if you want an F seat, if there is one available you swipe your CC with the agent and if you board in F then you get charged. If not, then you don't.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
It's pretty unusual for the F cabin not to fill with elites. I've seen it a few times, most recently a year ago on a morning flight from FLL to DTW. IIRC, 5 or 6 F seats were sold at $75-100 each, and the F cabin went out full.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
I've seen it in cvg back in may
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
I personally have no issues what so ever with DL selling unused first class seats after upgrades are processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.