Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
If the rate desk did the ticket issue, then it is correct pricing that a stopover should not cost more, and it means the award engine is pathetically broken yet again and overcharging for these flights.
Except that 99% of agents at the rate desk just will tell you that the computer is always right, and won't bother to do their job and actually fix it for you. So, you may need to spend many hours, possibly 10s of hours, calling back until you get an agent who cares and understands the fare rules and thus will correct it for you.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i am having trouble with a stopover/open jaw ticket being priced out correctly. i have heard all of the excuses from delta agents that others have reported in this thread.

can someone tell me if i am correct in thinking the following is legal?:

DEN-JFK-MAD openjaw

OVD-CDG stopover CDG-AMS-MSP-DEN

i was able to get this all at 100k low level business except the CDG-AMS portion which was in coach. availability has opened up in biz, and both agents say that they would need 25,000 more miles to reissue the ticket....
i explained it makes no sense as all partner award is at low level, and if it wasn't legal it wouldn't have been ticketed in the first place.

they went on to cite all kinds of 'fare/routing rules' blah blah blah.

are more miles needed to put that segment in biz?

PS - i can't wait to drop to Platinum in March so that my calls are routed to Chisolm... the Diamond agents are a joke.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Good luck with that.

I had the same issue. Multiple agents on multiple calls said that now when you change any one price, the whole itineary is repriced. And furthermore, even if no other flights have went up, that you can not reprice and reticket it for a lower mileage no matter what. I spent two days trying to do something similar to what you are doing here, but no go, as all the agents said that either changing one flight will reprice all the flights at current mileage levels, or that changing to any lower mileage flight will no longer recalculate it and that you will never get the mileage difference back if you change from higher to lower mi flights... they can see those flights are at low, but it won't reprice and they said that's how it is now going forwards.
i know!! depending on how you look at it, it is either brilliant or dreadful.

as a passenger it drives me crazy, Delta pricing mileage tickets like revenue tickets (change in fare (addt'l miles), change fees for FO/GM, etc)

however, for them it is all additional revenue.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by andrew10412
i am having trouble with a stopover/open jaw ticket being priced out correctly. i have heard all of the excuses from delta agents that others have reported in this thread.

DEN-JFK-MAD openjaw

i was able to get this all at 100k low level business except the CDG-AMS portion which was in coach. availability has opened up in biz, and both agents say that they would need 25,000 more miles to reissue the ticket....
i explained it makes no sense as all partner award is at low level, and if it wasn't legal it wouldn't have been ticketed in the first place.

Seems like it should work. I would keep calling and try speaking to a supervisor and explain that you took a voluntary downgrade and now the class or service you are ticketed in has opened up. Your issue is quite straight forward so hopefully someone will take care of it for you. However in the big scheme of things the CDG-AMS portion is one flight where you won't notice much of a difference in business versus economy.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
What happened to the days when agents would go out of their way to find out what was wrong and then try to help you fix it?

On this specific issue, I honestly hate calling DL now to book awards that involve partners, OJ, or SO's. The agents (I'm even talking DM agents here) seem so clueless about the rules, and even with the rules known they simply refuse to take initiative to solve the issue - instead popping excuse after excuse?

Booking award service has seemed to go downhill since the merger, maybe it was because:

1. Loss of elite calls going to Chisholm
2. Ridiculous 3 search limit DL tried to implement
3. Complete lack of training for agents on booking partner awards
4. Complete lack of IT to allow flyers to book partner awards on DL.com with exception to a few (i.e. AF/KL).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

DEN-JFK-MAD openjaw

they went on to cite all kinds of 'fare/routing rules' blah blah blah.

are more miles needed to put that segment in biz?

PS - i can't wait to drop to Platinum in March so that my calls are routed to Chisolm... the Diamond agents are a joke.

As per DL, now you can have EITHER open jaw OR stopover, but not both. Here you have an open jaw and a stopover. That used to be fine, but NOW IS NO LONGER ALLOWED.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: DL PM
As per DL, now you can have EITHER open jaw OR stopover, but not both. Here you have an open jaw and a stopover. That used to be fine, but NOW IS NO LONGER ALLOWED.
But even one stopover is NOT allowed now.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by altairkh
But even one stopover is NOT allowed now.
From the published fare rules on every award itinerary I can bring up:
1 STOPOVER PERMITTED EITHER OUTBOUND OR INBOUND. NOTE - TO QUALIFY THE STOPOVER CITY MUST BE ON A VALID PUBLISHED FARE ROUTING
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andymo99
I just tried to send a Private Message to SMI, but it seems his account has disabled the functionality of receiving PMs
My understanding is that SMI has his FT PM account set up only to accept messages from people on an approved list consisting of those who he has met personally. Has this changed? Or could the inbox be full?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM
Any update about this issue? I have just checked at .dumb but it still says I need 50k for low domestic award with one stopover. It has been already several days.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
From the published fare rules on every award itinerary I can bring up:
Except that DL is not going to honor this, and you are going to get a lot of excuses (most of them totally illogical). DL has a long and "proud" history of not honoring their own written word.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Except that DL is not going to honor this, and you are going to get a lot of excuses (most of them totally illogical). DL has a long and "proud" history of not honoring their own written word.
The published fare rules are the published fare rules. Period. Full stop. The end. It's a very simple conversation:

Cust: I'd like to book an award ticket XXX-YYY with a stopover in ZZZ on the outbound. I see that all segments are available in "Low".
Agent: Okay, that will be 50,000 miles please.
Cust: No, this should price at 25,000 miles.
Agent: I'm sorry, but that is what the computer says.
Cust: Please look in the fare rules and read to me what it says under "Stopovers".
Agent: "1 STOPOVER PERMITTED EITHER OUTBOUND OR INBOUND. NOTE - TO QUALIFY THE STOPOVER CITY MUST BE ON A VALID PUBLISHED FARE ROUTING"
Cust: Then why aren't I being allowed a stopover?

Any agent with two brain cells to rub together will recognize the issue here.

Potential fork of the continuing conversation:
Agent: You are allowed a stopover... you just have to pay for it.
Cust: "Permitted" means it's permitted (read: included) on this fare, not that it breaks the fare and I have to pay double.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
This could be the deal breaker.

I really hope that the reason Delta is no longer pricing correctly Stopovers and Open Jaws on award tickets because of a IT hiccup and not a Policy change....

This is deeply disturbing devaluation -- Allowing one SO and one OJ on award tickets are the great equalizer that makes SkyMiles worth something to me. Even though I am a lowly GM and have indeed greatly benefited from domestic medallion upgrades, this could be the deal breaker. I fly Delta so I can do aspirational leisure travel. I have been doing all I can to earn skymiles- Skymiles AMEX, Delta Skymiles Dining, Skymiles shopping portal etc.. What is the point of earning SMs in small chunks if they devalue them in large chunks.
Utimately, this change/devaluation would greatly decrease the value of Skymiles to me and cause me to seriously evaluate other options.

Last edited by Josephmay; Dec 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:16 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by altairkh
Any update about this issue? I have just checked at .dumb but it still says I need 50k for low domestic award with one stopover. It has been already several days.
I know. Their silence is deafening.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
The published fare rules are the published fare rules. Period. Full stop. The end. It's a very simple conversation:

Cust: I'd like to book an award ticket XXX-YYY with a stopover in ZZZ on the outbound. I see that all segments are available in "Low".
Agent: Okay, that will be 50,000 miles please.
Cust: No, this should price at 25,000 miles.
Agent: I'm sorry, but that is what the computer says.
Cust: Please look in the fare rules and read to me what it says under "Stopovers".
Agent: "1 STOPOVER PERMITTED EITHER OUTBOUND OR INBOUND. NOTE - TO QUALIFY THE STOPOVER CITY MUST BE ON A VALID PUBLISHED FARE ROUTING"
Cust: Then why aren't I being allowed a stopover?

Any agent with two brain cells to rub together will recognize the issue here.

Potential fork of the continuing conversation:
Agent: You are allowed a stopover... you just have to pay for it.
Cust: "Permitted" means it's permitted (read: included) on this fare, not that it breaks the fare and I have to pay double.
Agent (after putting you on hold for 15 minutes): I was told by the rate desk that neither they nor ANYONE at Delta can change the pricing. The pricing is how it comes out. I was told that comparing the fare rules to the actual fare is like apples and oranges and that this was a big waste of their time (that's a direct quote, by the way).

Agent: your destination already is the stopover.

Agent: you can not have a stopover on a routing that is not operated by Delta.

Agent: you can not have stopovers on tickets which include airlines other than Delta. This is a (emphasis) SkyMiles award ticket, after all.

Agent: you can have a stopover, but then you need to pay for a second round trip flight. It is pricing correctly.

Agent (on an obvious routing, such as xxx(NA)-NRT-xxx(Asia): that is not a valid Delta routing, that is why you need to pay for a second round trip if you want a stopover at NRT.
Customer: but that is the only possible routing on Delta
Agent: it is not valid.

These are all real world actual responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.