Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:53 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
skymilesinsider is on this forum now! So I assume we'll get some clarification momentarily!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:56 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by andymo99
skymilesinsider is on this forum now! So I assume we'll get some clarification momentarily!
I just tried to send a Private Message to SMI, but it seems his account has disabled the functionality of receiving PMs
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I just tried to send a Private Message to SMI, but it seems his account has disabled the functionality of receiving PMs
Perhaps the account has too many PMs? Either way, DL's idea of a having a "conversation" is more PR hack monologue than dialogue.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by fti
I find the best use of miles is for both domestic and international . If you can get about 5-10 cents per mile "value" out of international coach awards like I can for domestic coach awards, please let me know (then I get UG'd most of the time as PM). But the "value" I am referring to is based on the coach value of the flights I take.

I realize that value is in the eye of the traveler. I also realize that 95% of DL flyers have no idea how to most effectively use domestic stopovers and open jaws on award tickets. But that has worked just fine for me in recent years.
How are you getting $2,500 value out of a 25,000 mile domestic coach award?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: Many
I am glad to see I am not the only one having this stopover pricing issue with DL miles... the most frustrating thing to me with this is lack of recourse/reason and so many made up excuses by DL agents...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Hopefully phone agents can force the correct pricing
They will not. They have been trained to say 'well sir, this is what the computer is telling me.' They literally stopped thinking, and just do 'what the computer tell them.'

I ran into this issue yesterday, when trying to add a stopover in a SkyTeam hub city (Prague) before ending the trip in CDG. Even though everything was in the low bucket, the system was asking for 145K.

The agent's response when I asked? "You can have a stopover, but you have to pay for it..."

Can this airline become any more pathetic???
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The problem is, even if its confirmed that there should be no price increase and SO/OJ is still allowed, is their world-class IT even aware of the issue? And if so, what priority is it given to fix this? I'm sure while its broken, DL is pulling in millions of extra miles from pax overpaying for redemptions.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
what priority is it given to fix this?
The priority is directly related to the potential revenue. Monetizing programs are implemented almost instantly. Fixes for award redemptions... let's see... how long did it take to fix the award calendar?

It's all the gamers' fault anyway...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, obviously we are gaming the system by using awards that are allowed within the rules for multicity stopover or open jaw... so DL must stop that. Same how we were 'gaming' by changing award tickets as allowed per the rules to try to get better routing/pricing as low opened up at the last minute.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Stopovers and open jaws are permitted only the price has gone up.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:02 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Still an active problem as of this morning. Was trying to book a domestic ticket with stopover for January. Calculating it without stopover: 25,000 miles. With stopover? 65,000 miles. All in coach with low availability confirmed on all segments. Delta Plat number was able to replicate the problem and struggled to figure out a way around it but eventually was able to force the 25,000 pricing.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by dll
Still an active problem as of this morning. Was trying to book a domestic ticket with stopover for January. Calculating it without stopover: 25,000 miles. With stopover? 65,000 miles. All in coach with low availability confirmed on all segments. Delta Plat number was able to replicate the problem and struggled to figure out a way around it but eventually was able to force the 25,000 pricing.
^^^

I wonder what they had to (lingo-wise) and what you had to do to get them to do it and what center they worked at.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:42 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
^^^

I wonder what they had to (lingo-wise) and what you had to do to get them to do it and what center they worked at.
Despite this being a domestic ticket, I do believe the words "rate desk" were invoked on their end. I just kept pushing the agent but fortunately she was one of the best I've encountered and wasn't happy with what the computer told her.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the rate desk did the ticket issue, then it is correct pricing that a stopover should not cost more, and it means the award engine is pathetically broken yet again and overcharging for these flights.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I think it's always been this way, it has when SMI was NWA Scoop 2.

Originally Posted by bostonbali
They will not. They have been trained to say 'well sir, this is what the computer is telling me.' They literally stopped thinking, and just do 'what the computer tell them.'

I ran into this issue yesterday, when trying to add a stopover in a SkyTeam hub city (Prague) before ending the trip in CDG. Even though everything was in the low bucket, the system was asking for 145K.

The agent's response when I asked? "You can have a stopover, but you have to pay for it..."

Can this airline become any more pathetic???
Not totally true. Most agents will do exactly as you describe. But good agents (gosh, I wish they were all like this) will look into this, call the manual pricing desk, and try to figure it out and get it done. At least in the past they have.

Oddly, only Chisholm agents have done this for me in the past. But perhaps now DL has enhanced their systems so they can no longer provide this good CS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.