Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
The stopover PLUS the open jaw worked for intra-Europe travel as part of a US-Europe award. Not sure if we ever got both outside of Europe. But Europe definitely yes.

As a side note, AA allows a stopover anywhere. So I redeemed this in biz-class & domestic first for 100k AA miles:

LAX-NRT-PUS (Korea destination on JL)
PUS-NRT-LAX (stopover, also JL)

then a month later,

LAX-ORD-DCA (continuation of the same trip, but on AA in first)
No, AA doesn't allow a stopover anywhere. Rather they only allow stopovers at the US gateway on an international trip. You got the stopover in LA since it was your US gateway. A stopover at ORD on your itinerary, for example, would not have been allowed without cashing in another award.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I've got Europe-Australia with an open jaw in Australia and a stopover in Europe that I'm flying the second part of today (just the final short intra-European bit will remain).
I added a stopover to and OJ ticket about 3 weeks ago, I got a very helpful agent who told me she thought it was not permitted but she would try anyway, the ticket re-priced with the same amount of miles

SAV-ATL-CDG-DEL / BOM-CDG-MAN (Stopover) ATL - SAV

120K in C

I guess its not classed as OJ if the arrival/departure airports are in the same country.

I really hope this is not a policy change as I always use stopovers on award tickets.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by AndySAV
I added a stopover to and OJ ticket about 3 weeks ago, I got a very helpful agent who told me she thought it was not permitted but she would try anyway, the ticket re-priced with the same amount of miles

SAV-ATL-CDG-DEL / BOM-CDG-MAN (Stopover) ATL - SAV

120K in C

I guess its not classed as OJ if the arrival/departure airports are in the same country.

I really hope this is not a policy change as I always use stopovers on award tickets.
That used to work, but now works no longer. Try to reprice it now, you'll get a second round trip tacked on.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:16 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
So all of you just gave up?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I haven't had a need to book an award ticket with a stopover since this happened. When I do, you can be sure I'll insist it be priced correctly. I don't really have the time until then to go through a dummy booking just to try to point out a flaw to a representative that may or may not understand... I trust some of you are already doing so.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
So all of you just gave up?
I didn't I'm still waiting for SMI or someone else with good DELTA connections to tell us WTH actually happened and give us an official answer. As I've said before, This one could be a deal breaker for me. More specifically I wouldn't be happy but can do without Open Jaws but stopovers are critical to me. All the other devaluations, I can live with but this one is different.....

In the meantime I have 3 trips on hold. I think I'm pretty much stuck with DELTA but If I'm going to jump ship--I'm going to do it sooner than later.
The problem for me is that I've been pretty happy with the product. I switched my Loyalty to Delta earlier this year and was thrilled to have made the change. The upgrades and the generally pleasant interactions with Delta FAs and staff have made me a very happy customer overall.

But this is a severe devaluation in my ability to book overseas awards and is significant enough to cause me to leave.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
ears and fears

Originally Posted by Air Brian
Does Delta not monitor this website anymore? Or, do they just ignore their customer's concerns?
They're all ears.

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
My recollection is that in spring, 2009 there were a lot of posts complaining about the broken award chart, and Delta announced that they were working on it and we would see big changes that summer.
A little late, but big all right.

We've all had some frustrating conflicts with our own or other IT people. Let's hope this glitch doesn't go the route of Hilton Horrors' redemptions.

Meanwhile, bless those few CS reps who can still call their BFF's in IT and back-door it. I suspect those doors are closing, as the legacy systems are being enhanced holistically.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by AKC6
Meanwhile, bless those few CS reps who can still call their BFF's in IT and back-door it. I suspect those doors are closing, as the legacy systems are being enhanced holistically.
(bolding mine)

+1
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think when/if DL addresses this, we'll probably hear that "award bookings have been greatly enhanced holistically", and we'll hear of all sorts of "enhancements" such as showing some silly icons online, or bringing back features that were there years ago like being able to select economy or business leg-by-leg... and then just a small note, if any, that as a result of this 'enhancement' there are no more stopovers, or more likely just some vague reference that due to the numerous "improvements and enhancements," there have been also some "holistic adjustments" to the award tickets.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
(bolding mine)

+1
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think when/if DL addresses this, we'll probably hear that "award bookings have been greatly enhanced holistically", and we'll hear of all sorts of "enhancements" such as showing some silly icons online, or bringing back features that were there years ago like being able to select economy or business leg-by-leg... and then just a small note, if any, that as a result of this 'enhancement' there are no more stopovers, or more likely just some vague reference that due to the numerous "improvements and enhancements," there have been also some "holistic adjustments" to the award tickets.
Please, please do not give them more ideas on how/what to "enhance".
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Has anyone actually booked a SO/OJ since this thread was created?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:12 am

Today I put on hold a domestic award with a stopover on the return. It had priced at twice the correct mileage. I called the PM line and the agent contacted the rates and reissue desk. According to the agent, the reissue desk is aware of the issue and confirmed that IT IS indeed a computer error and that they were not aware of a pending policy change. The agent was told to ticket the outbound trip and the first part of the return (the part from the inbound origin to the stopover city) and then have the reissue desk add the last part from the stopover city to the destination. I didn't actually go through with it, though, since the trip may not happen.

On a separate note, for testing purposes, I was able to correctly price a domestic award with an open jaw.

What remains to be seen, however, is whether we'll again be able to book both an open jaw AND a stopover in the same domestic award. The rules don't permit it, and with programming changes being made, that capability may disappear altogether.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
dealbreaker for me

generous stopover rules on domestic awards is the only thing keeping me from ditching DL for good. if this isn't fixed soon, it'll be the last straw in what has been a year of creeping devaluations of the Skymiles program. are the folks running the show in ATL completely insulated from the competition? Skymiles is just terrible compared to MileagePlus, I'd rather deal with UA's slightly lower quality in flying experience over DL and its awful loyalty program.

Glad not to be an ATL-captive any longer and having flied just enough to retain 1K over at UA!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:37 am

Cool Success

I was, yesterday, able to issue a stopover award for my mom: MCO-CVG-CDG; 1 week stopover; CDG-SOF (AF); SOF-CDG (AF)-PHL-ATL-MCO (all same day) for 60k miles in coach. The system auto-priced it at 85k miles (60k MCO-CDG-MCO and 25k CDG-SOF-CDG). The very helpful agent at the CVG call center had to involve: 1) her supervisor; 2) a SkyMiles supervisor; 3) the rate and reissue desk. Took about 1.5 hours on the phone.

What a nightmare! But I happened to stumble upon an EXCELLENT RES. AGENT @CVG RES.!!! It did help to put a human perspective to the story (mom is a school teacher, able to see different cities on the way to the home country; have been doing it for years, having done AMS/FCO/CDG/LHR in previous years).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL FO
I've read through this thread and I think this is the problem that I'm having, but I've never tried to book a stopover on an award ticket so I'm hoping that someone can confirm that my planned itinerary is valid before I call.

I want to go GSO-SLC (stop) SLC-LAS(destination) LAS-GSO. Would seem obvious to me that SLC is a valid stopover on a flight to LAS.

I went through every segment one at a time and found them all at the medium level 40k (there was low availability, but the flight times didn't work for me), so it was my understanding that it should price out at 40 for the whole trip. Instead it came out at 80k.

Is this a valid itinerary? Any suggestions on how to get it to price correctly?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
I've read through this thread and I think this is the problem that I'm having, but I've never tried to book a stopover on an award ticket so I'm hoping that someone can confirm that my planned itinerary is valid before I call.

I want to go GSO-SLC (stop) SLC-LAS(destination) LAS-GSO. Would seem obvious to me that SLC is a valid stopover on a flight to LAS.

I went through every segment one at a time and found them all at the medium level 40k (there was low availability, but the flight times didn't work for me), so it was my understanding that it should price out at 40 for the whole trip. Instead it came out at 80k.

Is this a valid itinerary? Any suggestions on how to get it to price correctly?
if GSO-SLC-LAS a published route, i would think it should be allowed.

if you can price out gso-slc-las-gso without the stop ok then the stop should be allowed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.