Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher Change Starting 15 DEC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:48 pm

I'm really disappointed to see all these negative changes coming to Delta. Would be nice to see some real improvements that may come...

They talk about how they are investing $2 billion to improve customer experience...

Do you think they are improving it for Skymiles Members with the 72 hour cancellation rule?

How about Silver Medallion members with the loss of a checked bag for free?

Now vouchers can not be combined or transferrable....

These are some GREAT improvements...

Keep Climbing Delta
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
One more reason to give more money to AA.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Question - EU rules and US rules

Wait. The rules say compensation. If you can not SPEND the compensation, is it still compensation?

http://europa.eu/legislation_summari.../l24173_en.htm

http://ehoganlovells.com/ve/7231j9492W7163D95998/VT=1

Plus DELTA must now TELL those who bump about the new rule btw:

c) When offering vouchers for free or reduced rate air transportation to passengers who voluntarily give up confirmed space on an overbooked flight, or who are involuntarily bumped and are offered such vouchers in lieu of DBC in the form of cash or a check, the carrier must first disclose all material restrictions applicable to the offer, such as administrative fees, advance purchase or capacity restrictions, and blackout dates (§§ 250.2b(c), 250.5(c) and 250.9(c)).

I would think only 1 per ticket would apply here!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
Enormous times 1,000.

Seriously? You have to type the passenger name and cert number exactly... it's not like you can just guess random numbers. If this is still a problem, then have a random redemption code printed on the cert or displayed on the voucher online.

My suspicion is that this is NOT about stolen certs. Restricting combinability does nothing to address this. As others have surmised above, I would bet this is about revenue management. It keeps you from taking up expensive seats and paying nothing. If you have 3x$400 vouchers, and you want to spend them on $1,200 flights across the pond, you've still got to spend $2,400 out of pocket on DL to use them all.

If they want me to believe it's about stolen certs, I might be able to swallow non-transferability (though it is still a very bitter pill to swallow). But the fact that they will not be combinable is a farce.
Sorry, but the revenue management conspiracy makes no sense.

3 * $200 vouchers on one flight loses DL the same amount as 1 * $200 voucher on 3 individual flights...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by oh912flyer

3 * $200 vouchers on one flight loses DL the same amount as 1 * $200 voucher on 3 individual flights...
Really? If you were Delta, which would you rather? A customer get a $600 flight for free or get three $600 for $200 off each?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by oh912flyer

Not at all. 1 * $200 on 3 individual flights is far more preferable to the airline, as it guarantees either 3 * the remaining ticket price coming in the door, or that the vouchers will go unused. Say you need to travel on three separate trips that each cost $600. If you could use 3 vouchers on one ticket, you could buy the other two tickets on any airline (and might be far more inclined to if the price drops). Net to Delta is that they gave you one flight for free and potentially didn't make any money from your other tickets if you bought on another airline. If you can only use 1 voucher per ticket, you can either buy all 3 tickets on Delta at $200 off, which brings in $1,200 in cash, or you can buy on another airline in which case the voucher costs Delta nothing. Either way Delta gives away $600 in "free" travel, but with the latter method they are far better off.

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass

Delta, I hate you right now.

The "unannounced" 2012 SkyMiles program better blow my socks off.
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Why cant they just release the 2012 program like every other carrier and get it out there? I mean...we only have 2 weeks left!
Whadda-u-mean??? They have a whole EXTRA day to release the info this year! All the way til midnight on February 29th!!!

Originally Posted by SamOF
If anyone else was holding out on picking your choice benefits, I decided to go with the voucher and grabbed it today. That way, it will issue before December 15th and still be subject to the old rules.
Me too. Just grabbed my $200 choice benny to lock in combinability.

Just a side note - - As to comparing other airline's vouchers' rules - - I remember years ago taking a $600 VDB on CO. The GA told me that it's "Use it or lose it" - no residual. So, in this respect, DL is BETTER than CO. I can't speak for the other airlines. I asked, and was given 2 - $300 vouchers!

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Not at all. 1 * $200 on 3 individual flights is far more preferable to the airline, as it guarantees either 3 * the remaining ticket price coming in the door, or that the vouchers will go unused. Say you need to travel on three separate trips that each cost $600. If you could use 3 vouchers on one ticket, you could buy the other two tickets on any airline (and might be far more inclined to if the price drops). Net to Delta is that they gave you one flight for free and potentially didn't make any money from your other tickets if you bought on another airline. If you can only use 1 voucher per ticket, you can either buy all 3 tickets on Delta at $200 off, which brings in $1,200 in cash, or you can buy on another airline in which case the voucher costs Delta nothing. Either way Delta gives away $600 in "free" travel, but with the latter method they are far better off.
OK, I guess. But the seat sells either way right? Whether it's your butt in it or not...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
Me too. Just grabbed my $200 choice benny to lock in combinability.
I thought about doing this, but then realized that it would only be combinable with vouchers that I already have, which at this point in time total around $3.00. Sorry DL -- the non-combinability thing really sucks.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by exwannabe
For many of us it has no effect at all. I use any voucher I have whenever I buy a ticket, and I have far fewer vouchers than ticket buys.

I assume that you, and TTT, score many vouchers while traveling on the company dollar, and then use those for less frequent personal travel. If so, I feel your pain.

OTOH, if VDBs become harder to sell, it is a plus for me as the ECs have not changed in value for me.
I agree with you, BUT, it obviously must be painful to most or o/w delta would not do this to save money
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Wait. The rules say compensation. If you can not SPEND the compensation, is it still compensation?

c) When offering vouchers for free or reduced rate air transportation to passengers who voluntarily give up confirmed space on an overbooked flight, or who are involuntarily bumped and are offered such vouchers in lieu of DBC in the form of cash or a check, the carrier must first disclose all material restrictions applicable to the offer, such as administrative fees, advance purchase or capacity restrictions, and blackout dates (§§ 250.2b(c), 250.5(c) and 250.9(c)).

I would imagine that DL would just do the same as UA does now?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I agree with you, BUT, it obviously must be painful to most or o/w delta would not do this to save money
DL is doing this for money, obviously. But I somewhat disagree with everybody here.

I believe that it actually is the expired amount that goes unused that is the big kicker.

This rule causes some redemption to get shoved forward in time. This has no effect on revenue (the certs are a liability), but does effect cash and therefor interest. So yes, the float on the cash does benefit DL some.

But let us guess that $200M gets pushed out 6 months by this. Then I would not be surprised if $50M gets "expired" by this move. And that is far more than the interest would have been (even assuming the rate on their bonds). The real numbers may be smaller, but I do suspect the expired cert issue is more value than the cash float.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer

What counts as disclosure? Does a policy posted on the website count? Or perhaps a sheet of T&Cs they can give you? Just because they have to "disclose" it doesn't mean they have to draw attention to it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Exactly, and I can imagine next DL's step in this direction.
Soon we will be informed, that maximum amount of any voucher couldn't exceed, let's say, $100.
So, in this case simple VDB ($400) will produce 4 more bookings of the same PAX on DL, or (which is also very good for DL) some of them will just expire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.