Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher Change Starting 15 DEC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CalVol
I think it's time to bombard them with complaints...although, I don't know that the 60 or so people who have posted in this thread would qualify as a bombardment.

Regardless, I will be registering my displeasure.
As will I...I'm composing a letter right now.

Just had another thought: has anyone ever donated a voucher to charity or used one to book travel for a friend/family member in need of medical treatment, travel to a funeral, or any other generous reason? If so, I believe this becomes one of the most compelling arguments against the new policy...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by BeachBum770
It will be considered a bombardment if sent to Richard Anderson's and Jeff Robertson's e-mail accounts.
Speaking of which, is Jeff still with the firm? I haven't heard his name mentioned anywhere in quite some time.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Speaking of which, is Jeff still with the firm? I haven't heard his name mentioned anywhere in quite some time.
Yes
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Yup you are a Gamer. The next meeting is here:

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012
Time: 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Place: Taco Mac at Lindbergh (in the Lindbergh City Center area adjacent to the Lindbergh MARTA station). Street address is 573 Main Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30324

Cost: $15.00 per person, includes buffet and soft drinks. Cash bar.

RSVP with pre-payment via PayPal. www.paypal.com Choose the Send Money option & send to email: [email protected]

Will you be there?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Will you be there?
^^^ Confirmed
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
Redemption/Transferability: Voucher is non-transferable unless assigned to someone traveling with the original voucher owner on the same reservation at the time the voucher is being redeemed. Delta assumes no responsibility for unauthorized use of the voucher by any person who presents it for redemption. A maximum of one voucher per passenger may be applied and used on one ticket. Paper vouchers cannot be redeemed online. To redeem a paper voucher, visit a Delta ticket counter at the airport or a Delta Ticket Office.

So this means Mrs Nub can assign her voucher to me only if she is flying with me?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by nub2travel
Redemption/Transferability: Voucher is non-transferable unless assigned to someone traveling with the original voucher owner on the same reservation at the time the voucher is being redeemed. Delta assumes no responsibility for unauthorized use of the voucher by any person who presents it for redemption. A maximum of one voucher per passenger may be applied and used on one ticket. Paper vouchers cannot be redeemed online. To redeem a paper voucher, visit a Delta ticket counter at the airport or a Delta Ticket Office.

So this means Mrs Nub can assign her voucher to me only if she is flying with me?
Yes and one of the stupidest restrictions I have ever seen.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL's customer-unfriendly revision to the voucher T&Cs is likely to continue .... and not for the betterment of customers.

Originally Posted by TTT
Why? It is what should have been expected from the first post in this thread. At least this version of T&Cs is pretty clear; unlike some of Delta's promo T&Cs.
Customer-unfriendly changes sxpected after a post in a thread does not mean the customer-unfriendly changes have to be welcomed and supported by any but company hacks and company contracted beneficiaries.

That should explain reactions in this thread.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by avidflyer
^^^ Confirmed
Hmm... I may have to see if I can arrange my schedule around this.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nub2travel

That's exactly what it means. And only if she is flying with you on the same PNR. No booking at different times. No ticket booked for her by/for work and you on a separate reservation. And so on...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:03 am

My letter to Delta:

To Whom It May Concern:

I write today as a VERY upset Diamond Medallion member. I have been a loyal Delta flyer for a number of years, but today's change to the ability to use vouchers has me questioning my loyalty.

First and foremost, why wasn't this change announced or made public? Nothing on Twitter, nothing on Facebook, and no press release. I find it insulting that frequent flyers such as myself are only made aware of the change as a result of online travel blogs that spread the news. With a significant change like this, we deserve to be told the truth in advance, whether we like it or not.

Secondly, on a related note, I am having a hard time buying the "too many are being stolen" argument that is apparently coming from both the Platinum and Diamond desk. As one of the largest airlines in the world, you must have the ability to track and monitor illegal redemption. Again, we would very much appreciate advance communication regarding the real reason behind the change.

Third of all, I would really like to know how reducing the number of vouchers applied towards a ticket will cut down on stolen certificates. If I use a $200 voucher towards the purchase of a ticket that costs $180, that $20 left over is given a new number and becomes associated with my SkyMiles account. Even if someone manages to steal the paper certificate I was initially given, that residual amount will no longer be available to anyone other than me. If someone hacks my account, that becomes my problem. Even if someone steals multiple certificates, they will now simply use them for separate reservations rather than combining them towards one more expensive trip.

Along these lines, it is hard to see this change doing anything other than putting more revenue towards the bottom line. Previously, that remaining $20 could be combined with a $100 voucher and go towards a $200 ticket. Now, rather than taking in an additional $80 in revenue, you get $180. In all likelihood, that $20 would just be allowed to expire.

If stolen certificates are the true problem, why not simply institute a policy where it is our responsibility as consumers to report the vouchers as stolen? I for one keep very close tabs on my vouchers, and should I lose a paper ticket or notice that a certificate has been illegally redeemed from my account, I would immediately call the Diamond Desk and notify them of the problem. Surely there is a way to identify those "gaming" the system without implementing a one-size-fits-all policy of restricted usage.

Allow me to suggest two slight changes to the policy that would, in my opinion, be much more welcome than the ones you have made:

1) Allow all vouchers issued to a specific individual with a SkyMiles account to be used for anyone as long as that individual books the travel. As a quick example, if I receive a $200 certificate for volunteering to take a later flight, I can put that $200 towards a ticket for my wife as long as I make the reservation in one of two ways: while logged into my account at Delta.com or while I myself am speaking to the Diamond Medallion line. Again, this puts the responsibility on the consumer to keep track of and properly redeem vouchers. While it does add an additional inconvenience for those accustomed to simply providing a certificate number to a friend or family member, it would be significantly better than the current policy.

2) Allow a maximum of two vouchers to be used per ticket. This would represent a much less drastic change in policy and would, in my opinion, be much easier for Delta's customers to take.

Finally, allow me to point out another potentially unintended consequence of this new policy: its impact on charities, friends, or family members in need of a last-minute flight. What happens if I want to donate a voucher to a charity to help an under-privileged family take a trip to see a dying relative? What if my unemployed sister needs a last-minute flight to attend a friend's funeral? In these scenarios (and countless others), they will be forced to purchase the ticket in full rather than defraying at least some of the cost with one of my vouchers. Again, revenue generation at the expense of the consumer.

Bottom line, I am seriously questioning my loyalty to Delta as a result of this change, and I urge you to reconsider the policy. I would also greatly appreciate to have changes like these communicated to the flying public in advance. If nothing else, the way this change was instituted leaves a nasty taste in my mouth and makes me wonder if Delta cares at all about its customers, especially loyal Medallion members like myself.

Respectfully,
Deemus7
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:15 am

Just sent my complaint. The thought occurred to me that, along with a boilerplate apology, I might get a small voucher.

Now, that would just be the icing on the cake!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:16 am

By the way, a quick search found the following policies on other domestic carriers:

AA: Up to 8 eVouchers can be used per transaction. Should you choose not to use the eVoucher for your own travel, you personally may apply any or all of its value toward the purchase of a ticket for a friend or family member.

WN: Up to two unused tickets per passenger may be applied. Unused tickets are always applied first. Up to four of the following may also be applied in any combination: southwestgiftcards®, Southwest LUV Vouchers, leftover electronic ticket funds, and one Credit Card.

I know someone mentioned in an earlier post that UA/CO only allows one per ticket. Anyone have experience with US?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US has quite a few different voucher types.

Travel with US:
Not combinable
Transferable as long as no name has been entered on the voucher

Future Travel Award:
Combinable

Transportation Voucher:
Combinable

Take Flight:
Not combinable, but it's for a round trip and not $$$ off, so this doesn't really mean anything
Transferable

$25 Air Check
Not combinable
Not transferable

Air Check Plus:
Not combinable and can only be used on tickets over $150
Transferable to a parent, child, or spouse (proof of relationship required)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by CalVol
Just sent my complaint. The thought occurred to me that, along with a boilerplate apology, I might get a small voucher.

Now, that would just be the icing on the cake!
yes.... don't spend it all at once... uh.... never mind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.