Wiki Posts
Search

Cant use SWU ??? I dont understand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL- Diamond
Cant use SWU ??? I dont understand

I just received my SWU's today. I have a Y class fare booked for SLC to MEX round trip. Jan 24 - 29. I called to have my SWU added to my conf.

EF shows :
J8C6D6I2S0Y9B9M9H9Q9K9L9U9T9E9 for the outbound and :

J9C9D8I5S0Y9B9M9H9Q9K9L9U9T9E9 for the return.

After calling the DM line, i was told i cant use the SWU as all inventory at that level has been sold. ???? Not a single seat has been booked in First class????
What am I missing??
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by awspilke
I just received my SWU's today. I have a Y class fare booked for SLC to MEX round trip. Jan 24 - 29. I called to have my SWU added to my conf.

EF shows :

After calling the DM line, i was told i cant use the SWU as all inventory at that level has been sold. ???? Not a single seat has been booked in First class????
What am I missing??
You need to look at the Z bucket for biz and the G bucket for first to use SWU.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:31 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
You need availability in Z
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G

EF shows :

What am I missing??
The issue isn't J it is Z inventory, which you can check as well on EF. I looked on the dates and if you are flying DL 513/514, then Z2 on the outbound and Z5 on the return. You should definitely be able to use the SWU. Call again.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

So I appologize in advance if this is a silly question as i am still new to FT and EF.
How do I search for Z or G inventory? I need to to take a flight in march to NRT and wanted to make sure i could use my SWU's.

Do i have to do something special in EF?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:38 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
So I appologize in advance if this is a silly question as i am still new to FT and EF.
How do I search for Z or G inventory? I need to to take a flight in march to NRT and wanted to make sure i could use my SWU's.

Do i have to do something special in EF?
Click on the Awards and Upgrades search on the left. Then enter your criteria - make sure you specify DL as the carrier as that will pull up check boxes that allow you to search for G or Z.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Are you on an actual "Y" fare or by Y are you referring to just a coach fare?

If indeed a full Y fare, I personally think it's a waste of a SWU as you should most def. clear for a comp upgrade as a DM on a Y.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Nope actual "y" class fare
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: DLDM
Why didn't you just buy an I ticket? Full Y is usually much more expensive than discount J.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
I edited my post above, you should easily get a comp upgrade. If you are the direct flight it is Z2 which means your SWU should clear now. When I go to input a search for flights M fare or higher it returns I, Business, so that is likely cheaper than the Y fare you are paying, and directly books into Business. Also AFAIK you only need a K fare to use a SWU on this route.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:53 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Personally, I wouldn't waste an SWU on SLC/MEX. I've taken it twice (both northbound), and both times there were seats open up front. I'd say it's leisure traveler heavy - not Medallion heavy. As a DM, you should be nearly a shoe-in for an UG!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Personally, I wouldn't waste an SWU on SLC/MEX. I've taken it twice (both northbound), and both times there were seats open up front. I'd say it's leisure traveler heavy - not Medallion heavy. As a DM, you should be a nearly shoe-in for an UG!
If you have them to waste, use them. There's always the chance of missing an upgrade. I have several I am losing and have used them on several short hauls.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
If you have them to waste, use them. There's always the chance of missing an upgrade. I have several I am losing and have used them on several short hauls.
Issue here is, if he is indeed on a full Y fare just to use SWU's. He can likely book into Business directly for less than he's paying now without using SWU's and should only need to book a K fare to use SWU's. So I am curious why he indeed bought full Y with so many cheaper fare's available.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mlad1101

If indeed a full Y fare, I personally think it's a waste of a SWU as you should most def. clear for a comp upgrade as a DM on a Y.
I agree...full Y is more than discount J (I) so I am not sure what is going on here. Is this a "special" government Y fare?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Both direct flights show Z availability....are you using SWU for another pax also? As AVID said. If you bought full Y to use SWU, cancel it and book in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.