Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question re Choice of Seat on LAX-ATL Redeye

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum

I am flying a redeye on Thursday night from LAX to ATL (flight 2354) and because I need to be somewhat rested I purchased a ticket in first. The plane configuration is a 767-300 with FIVE rows of first class seats. The only two seats left in first on this flight are 1B or 5B both of which have drawbacks according to SeatGuru.com. I guess 1B has limited leg room because it is bulkhead and 5B has limited recline because of the wall behind it? Anyone have thoughts? I am currently in 5B and am wondering how limited the recline is . . . and the seatmaps on SeatGuru.com don't seem to be entirely accurate. According to the Delta seatmap, there is no restroom directly behind 5B (which would be a bigger drawback than either limited legroom or limited recline, in my opinion). I realize there are so many much more important burning issues out there, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Well, at least in 5B you don't have to worry about being punched in the head for reclining

I would go for 1B though. Think the magic phrase "equipment swap".
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Well, at least in 5B you don't have to worry about being punched in the head for reclining
^^

I fly this route almost weekly. 1B depends on how tall you are. I am 6' 3", and the bulkhead is too close to be comfortable. The other factor to contend with in 1B is that you are right beside the galley (remember, FAs don't sleep).

As for 5B, I haven't noticed a huge limitation on the recline, but it could vary. I still think it would be more comfortable than Y class.

So, given the choices, I am personally staying with 5B.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by BeachBum770
^^

I fly this route almost weekly. 1B depends on how tall you are. I am 6' 3", and the bulkhead is too close to be comfortable. The other factor to contend with in 1B is that you are right beside the galley (remember, FAs don't sleep).

As for 5B, I haven't noticed a huge limitation on the recline, but it could vary. I still think it would be more comfortable than Y class.

So, given the choices, I am personally staying with 5B.
Perfect. Thanks. Although the other posting about equipment swap got met a little worried because even thought I "purchased first" it is actually a P fare which is technically an upgrade? So if they switch equipment I could get screwed. I will stay in 5B and stop concerning myself with the endless possibilities. Thanks again for the response.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Flew this last week in 1A. The proximity to the galley kind of sucked but not as much as not being able to stretch out at all. My legs got fairly cramped towards the end.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by Flyingdevil
Perfect. Thanks. Although the other posting about equipment swap got met a little worried because even thought I "purchased first" it is actually a P fare which is technically an upgrade? So if they switch equipment I could get screwed. I will stay in 5B and stop concerning myself with the endless possibilities. Thanks again for the response.
You'll be fine. I highly doubt they'll swap with anything that has less availability up front so your seat is safe.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:25 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

Originally Posted by Flyingdevil
We've certainly had more trivial questions here! No question is stupid, especially if it's important to you! Feel free to drop in'n say hi, anytime!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by exwannabe
LMAO. ^
If you have a good back and don't have any problem slouching, I'd probably go with 5B where at least you can stretch your legs under the seat in front of you. No way to do that in the bulkhead.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would opt for row 1. I took the SEA-ATL redeye a few months ago and the recline was nonexistent.

(I think I was on a 767 on that flight, though I could be wrong. YMMV.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.