Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Old Dec 12, 11, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post
I really think some on here are being unreasonably harsh about this ruling. Maintaining a 70 pound limit for the free bag is commendable IMO. Eliminating it would have created more of these situations where passengers hold up the line whilst unloading some weight.
I guess for me (who is not affected by this decision) it is a harbinger of things to come. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to continually watch the SM program be devalued! Next week, is it gonna be GMs now board in zone 2, or only DMs get access to lounges when traveling internationally, etc., etc., etc.? With DL, it seems to be a trickle up mentality when stripping away medallion benefits!
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
As an ATL-based FO who just did a mileage run to keep my status because I expected 2 free checked bags as a benefit for next year that I will really need, I give this change a HUGE . What an egregious abuse of my hard-earned loyalty for 4 years with this airline. I should have known better than to think that airline management wouldn't screw with FF's who show loyalty by flying the actual MQM's. You are all scum. Just wait til WN comes to town and see how your loyalties hold up.

DL apologists, don't even f&$*ing bother.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
My sister drops to FO this year...she's really sneered at the thought of AA/BA, but this might motivate a switch...she often checks two bags on both domestic and international flights and I doubt AMEX would give her a card...
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:19 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
So silver members are now worth less then amex members? wow
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider View Post
Do they just look for ways to devalue Silvers even further?
Actually not just Silvers. I think jsmith50 is onto their game:

Originally Posted by jsmith50 View Post
I guess for me (who is not affected by this decision) it is a harbinger of things to come. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to continually watch the SM program be devalued! Next week, is it gonna be GMs now board in zone 2, or only DMs get access to lounges when traveling internationally, etc., etc., etc.? With DL, it seems to be a trickle up mentality when stripping away medallion benefits!
Originally Posted by flymanbeast View Post
Moral of the story => AmEX makes way more money for DL than FO's.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Well not really - FO + Amex gets 2 bags. Amex just gets 1.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:35 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
My mistake worth the same as amex(or less)
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Happy Holidays from Delta. Goes really nice with the e-card that was sent out a few days ago, maybe they should reword the e-card*.

*For Silver Medallions:
Aur Revoir
Good Bye
Hasta la vista.. baby
Ciao
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TTT View Post

I'm GM + Amex. Should I get 3 bags then?
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
And one can't forget unlimited upgrades (including companion upgrades), free preferred seating, the Silver line, Skyteam Elite Status (not much, but hey--it's a benefit), priority check-in, and the class of service bonuses.

I honestly don't see this as a huge devaluation--DL isn't the first carrier making the move, and in the constant airline industry race to the bottom, it was bound to happen eventually. I imagine a lot of FOs have a DL Amex as well, so no real change for them. Yes, FOs without an Amex got the shaft, but it's not a giant devaluation and I don't think it's a sign of major devaluations to come.

Comments about jumping ship to WN make me laugh--they're often more expensive than DL, and (IMO) provide mediocre service at best. On DL I can have a confirmed seat assignment without a cattle call at boarding, a chance to upgrade to F, a professional flight crew who don't think they're working at the Chuckle Hut (30 Rock reference ), IFE and wifi, and more. But to each his (or her) own.

Lastly, a big ^ to DL on being more open with their program changes and not trying to sneak this one by. Keep it up!
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Michelle - I see this policy applies to travel to/from Canada.

What about FO members in Canada holding the Canadian Delta World MasterCard? As you may know, Delta's Amex products are not available in Canada, and Delta offers a branded card with MasterCard here instead.

Will Canadian Delta credit card holders whom are FO get the same benefits as US based Amex card holders?

As it is, we get the shaft up here. For the hefty annual fee, the Canadian card offers virtually no other Delta benefits other than 1 SkyMile per $1 spent.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
I'm lucky that I do very little domestic flying and FO is still (somewhat) valuable outside the U.S. (SkyTeam harmonized allowances do a lot of good when carrying stuff), but this does not bide well for me if I intend to fly DL in the future within the U.S. without an international tag-on.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets View Post
I honestly don't see this as a huge devaluation.
To each his/her own. Are you an FO, by chance?

And, because it's not a "huge" devaluation, maybe Delta could have said the change was "coming for 2013" or something, rather than change their rules right after people have finished 2012 qualifying MRs or stocked up on MQMs. The latter, to me, is skeevy.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50 View Post
Funny thing about all of this is that my friend who works at DL has been telling me for a while that DL has been evaluating ways to make FO more valuable for those who achieve it through loyalty and to separate, protect and enhance those benefits from those pax who fill out a credit card application and achieve FO without ever flying a single segment. I guess he was wrong!
I would dispute that based on a marketing survey I took last year where DL was asking about bundling Silver and Gold with an Amex card.
Old Dec 12, 11, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I think the goal here is less to devalue FO than it is to up-value AMEX.

Previously, if you had no status at all, getting AMEX gave you a bunch of benefits (basically, almost FO).

But, if you already had FO, the AMEX gave you basically just the miles as a benefit, because you already had everything else.

Now, they can say that if you're FO, and get AMEX, you get some flying benefits. It raises the value prop for FO's (who, are a huge market), to get AMEX (which makes $$).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: