Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I generally agree with your assessment but there is one flaw in this: They cannot fill airplanes with HVCs so they need to fight it out in the trenches for enough LVCs to keep them flying. This can get very dicey particularly once all the fat is cut out of the inventory.
LVCs get monetized in other ways, such as bag fees, seat fees, Buy-on-board, etc. YQ also hits folks that shop based on advertised fares.

Taking a page from the entertainment (concerts, sports) industry - profits are not made on the gate ("ticket sales") except for the most expensive seats. Profits are made on the ancillaries - beer/drinks, food, parking, merchandise sales, etc.

People still have a choice and load factors can only go DOWN from here. The bean-counters ought to be very careful.
This is what yield management is about. I had a yield management guru tell me one time "if you sell the last unit of inventory, you're charging too little for it". In the current environment, "loyalty" means nothing compared to profitable customers.

Load factors can still go up - adding capacity is a step-function, and a very hard decision to make. If the airline sees that LVCs will be dilutive to earnings, they won't add the capacity.... let someone else take the loss.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Cher905
It's this type of elite mentality that really skeeves me. Not everyone has the means (financially, time-wise, job-related, etc.) to rise above FO status. In my situation, I'm a SAHM that has barely made FO every year for the last 8-10 years...all BIS miles. I'm also a hub captive which limits my choice to DL for routes and time schedules. I was loyal to NWA and am now loyal to DL. Would I like to fly more to reach GM? Of course! But in my case, that probably won't happen for at least a couple of years until I get the kiddo out of the house and off to college. Not everyone can be a flying road warrior, but we can still be as loyal as a DM.

Personally, I agree that one checked bag at 70 lbs. is sufficient...for many people. However, the FO loyalists who need to check an additional bag for skiing, golfing, hunting, work, etc. just got shafted. We're all part of the same SkyMiles program, regardless of our elite level, and when DL devalues ANY of its tiers, we should all be incensed. It may "only" be FO now, but other levels could be on the chopping block in the future. Solidarity!
FYI, skis are going to cost you more no matter what.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I generally agree with your assessment but there is one flaw in this: They cannot fill airplanes with HVCs so they need to fight it out in the trenches for enough LVCs to keep them flying. This can get very dicey particularly once all the fat is cut out of the inventory.
LVCs get monetized in other ways, such as bag fees, seat fees, Buy-on-board, etc. YQ also hits folks that shop based on advertised fares.

Taking a page from the entertainment (concerts, sports) industry - profits are not made on the gate ("ticket sales") except for the most expensive seats. Profits are made on the ancillaries - beer/drinks, food, parking, merchandise sales, etc.

People still have a choice and load factors can only go DOWN from here. The bean-counters ought to be very careful.
This is what yield management is about. I had a yield management guru tell me one time "if you sell the last unit of inventory, you're charging too little for it". In the current environment, "loyalty" means nothing compared to profitable customers.

Load factors can still go up - adding capacity is a step-function, and a very hard decision to make. If the airline sees that LVCs will be dilutive to earnings, they won't add the capacity.... let someone else take the loss.
From a yield management perspective, that is all fair and true on full flights. However, many hundreds of flights do not go out full or close to it...that's when you need the load factor side to drive RASM. Yield is about finding the balancing act on what's best to get the most money out of a flight...sometimes it's closing off inventory, sometimes it's making sure its as open as possible.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Read your post! "I don't travel much, but have enjoyed the 2 bag perk".

WHAT???!?!?!?!?!

The point of elite is to reward those that travel much.

Is this REALLY the first indication that FO isn't worth anything? The upgrade lists 60+ people long, the gifting of status, being able to achieve FO without ever stepphing on a plane? There is a Yin to the Yang here, folks. Silver isn't anything! Yet people continue to want more promos and double miles.

Wake up.
I don't travel much in comparison to many of you on here. I've flown 42, 981 miles this year and have earned every one of those miles. I have read the comments on FT about monetizing the frequent flier programs and I believe that I have contributed my fair share to Delta's bottom line in 2011. Furthermore, I hope and believe that my 42,981 miles is worth more to Delta than someone who has an American Express card but doesn't ever fly their airline. However, with Birmingham being a Southwest city, it would be easy to fly with them rather than having to connect through Atlanta of Memphis any time I want or need to go somewhere. I've stayed with Delta because of my loyalty to their program and the benefits I've enjoyed as a silver medallion the last few years. If they take that away, I have no reason to go out of my way and extend my travel time to fly through Atlanta or Memphis when Southwest can get me there faster and cheaper and with no bag fees.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MarLim
The point is not that FOs have 1 bag less, but that DL’s strategy seems to move them into the banking rather than flying business. I can see the financial benefits AMEX brings to DL, but long-term they cannot survive without people flying if they want to remain an airline. If they treat credit-card holders better than the real flyers, I think this is a strategically wrong decision.
It's increasingly the norm in the US airline industry for the airline "loyalty" programs to have become frequent shopping programs where credit card affiliation is a big part of picture for customers and airlines too. With increased concentration of power into the hands of fewer firms in the US industry (by way of DL-NW and UA-CO combinations) and the US firms' TATL/TPAC JV partners granted other governmental favors, this kind of development is anything but a strategic mistake on the part of an industry that can get away with behaving like customer-unfriendly lemmings. I wish it were otherwise, but I expected this from DL in particular.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Not for every flight. BUT, if I fly to go skiing, I will have 2 bags. I will always take my boots and helmet in one bag, and the rest of my stuff in another bag. There will be times where that extra fee for the 2nd bag will be the deciding factor in which airline I take. Some of us don't make as much money as we used to, so we do have to budget our finances. Don't begrudge us our want to travel, albeit not as a DM. I travel enough to always make FO. I've been a loyal Delta flyer since 1988. But, they keep coming up with ways to make it more difficult to maintain that loyalty.
But wouldn't you carry on the second bag?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Skis and a ski boot bag -- even when packed separately -- have been quite often considered a single checked baggage item despite having separate tags for the ski bag and for the ski boot bag. But a person needs more than skis and boots to go skiing.

Either way, this is just another way in which flying DL to ski destinations at peak ski times is going to get even less welcoming for DL elites.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First

That is the rub. In the airline industry adding inventory (airplanes) is something that cannot be done easily and absolutley cannot be done with just HVCs. The moment one of the airlines adds inventory on a route it is a free-for all to fill the plane with as many LVCs as they have to to keep the opportunity for the HVCs. Airlines are a much different animal than concerts (I am also in the music biz) because the inventory for concerts is essentially static. The "gate" in the airline industry can make or break them in that if you cannot fill the plane with 80% LVCs you do NOT get the opportunity to sell the high margin ticket to the HVC. The next place to go from here is more inventory... A healthy stable of "elites" can ensure that the LVC portion of that aircraft has a slightly higher yield than using pure price trumping. This is a very delicate balance and one people are paid good $$ to understand and implement. I am not second guessing what these folks do for a living just applying my basic business knowledge to the current Airline Industry. It seems to me the inventory is at or close to levels that are on the crispy edge of requiring more. The "more" is where I think they will have a problem.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Just Made Silver Medallion...Today

Pretty good timing...ha ha!

Oh well, I rarely ever check a bag anyway and being silver medallion, although nothing like being Diamond medallion, sure beats being a kettle.

The main perk for me is being able to select premium seats before OLCI. I'm sure I'll get very few upgrades as a silver, but at least now I can book exit rows and bulkheads.

And there is the 25% mileage bonus...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mersk862
From a yield management perspective, that is all fair and true on full flights. However, many hundreds of flights do not go out full or close to it...that's when you need the load factor side to drive RASM. Yield is about finding the balancing act on what's best to get the most money out of a flight...sometimes it's closing off inventory, sometimes it's making sure its as open as possible.
No question. It's a balancing act between load factor and average RASM. What we've seen lately is airlines reducing inventory by either down gauging, reducing frequency, or outright eliminating routes. And that has to be balanced against the cost of parking the aircraft & eating the lease payments.

What is clear is that the airlines attitudes have changed: where they'd stick additional or larger aircraft on a route in the past, they are now content with using smaller planes/less frequency at higher fares.

That is the rub. In the airline industry adding inventory (airplanes) is something that cannot be done easily and absolutley cannot be done with just HVCs. The moment one of the airlines adds inventory on a route it is a free-for all to fill the plane with as many LVCs as they have to to keep the opportunity for the HVCs.
Or they down gauge. We've seen a lot more willingness to cut flights even if HVCs are hurt. Obviously they have to maintain adequate destinations to keep the HVCs coming back (DL & UA are large enough now to not need loyalty programs to ensure that passengers come back, their ability to serve more destinations makes them a "first choice" compared to someone who serves less destinations).

Airlines are a much different animal than concerts (I am also in the music biz) because the inventory for concerts is essentially static. The "gate" in the airline industry can make or break them in that if you cannot fill the plane with 80% LVCs you do NOT get the opportunity to sell the high margin ticket to the HVC.
I was in the entertainment/music business for a number of years. I was not suggesting that the airlines are identical to the concert industry - they are different - but the airlines have been deriving much more money from ancillaries than they ever did in the past, and that monetization of ancillaries is similar to what the music industry does.

From the concert perspective, you want more folks in the gate (even if you don't make money at the gate from them) because ancillaries are such an important part of revenue. Folks like Ryanair and Spirit are following that model.
The next place to go from here is more inventory... A healthy stable of "elites" can ensure that the LVC portion of that aircraft has a slightly higher yield than using pure price trumping. This is a very delicate balance and one people are paid good $$ to understand and implement. I am not second guessing what these folks do for a living just applying my basic business knowledge to the current Airline Industry. It seems to me the inventory is at or close to levels that are on the crispy edge of requiring more. The "more" is where I think they will have a problem.
Agree, except I don't think we're at the hairy edge of needing more inventory. The carriers are still cutting back, and if the AA bankruptcy results in a reduction of available seat miles (either reduced flying or consolidating with another airline) we will see even more. That will force prices higher.

I have little doubt that there's a lot of study - and some experimentation - on the supply/demand curves. There will be a point where demand collapses and discretionary travel drops, but I don't believe we're anywhere close to that yet.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

The main perk for me is being able to select premium seats before OLCI. I'm sure I'll get very few upgrades as a silver, but at least now I can book exit rows and bulkheads.

And there is the 25% mileage bonus...
How much longer do we honestly expect those benefits to continue? I suspect that any benefit that costs DL money will be revoked for FOs in the future. This includes the mileage bonus and baggage allowance.

Upgrades and premium (non-EC) seats are probably safe, though.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AUDirt
How much longer do we honestly expect those benefits to continue? I suspect that any benefit that costs DL money will be revoked for FOs in the future. This includes the mileage bonus and baggage allowance.

Upgrades and premium (non-EC) seats are probably safe, though.
My sense is that the one free bag will remain as a valuable carrot.

Same for the mileage bonus. If they really want to restrict award travel, they won't do it by reducing the bonus, but by making it more difficult to acquire award tickets.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
What is clear is that the airlines attitudes have changed: where they'd stick additional or larger aircraft on a route in the past, they are now content with using smaller planes/less frequency at higher fares.
Very true, however this discipline won't be permanent IMHO. Boeing and Airbus are raising production, and they and the leasing companies will want to place these planes somewhere. For example, WN just ordered over 200 new 737s, so unless they retire some 737s/717s to offset this, capacity will increase at some point.

Also, expect AA to offer some fare sales as they try to retain their customers during BK.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:03 pm

Just so everyone knows American Airlines allows there Gold Status Members to Check 3 bags at 70 pounds each. I just reached elite status and i love it!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by altod
Just so everyone knows American Airlines allows there Gold Status Members to Check 3 bags at 70 pounds each. I just reached elite status and i love it!
Since When?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.