Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really very angry with delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Really very angry with delta

Hi folks.

This is a bit of an epic but what I'm looking for is a way of getting Delta customer service and a competent human being to actually look at this case rather than an automated response. Any help appreciated.

This is what happened...

Arrived at JFK on Thursday night for a Delta flight to Dublin, about 65mins before flight due to leave. I'm skyteam elite plus. Went to business check in an agent started to check me in, gave me baggage tags and a boarding pass.

Then was handed my passport and a boarding card. As I attempted to leave I noticed the boarding card wasn't for my flight, and wasn't in my name. I spotted this mistake and not the agent. (Big shout out to Mr Roberts or Robert something in Row 7 of the London flight that night!)

The agent began to try to print my boarding card, but didn't succeed. (And frankly seemed very confused as to what was happening).

Turns out we were now less than an hour to the flight and I was told the system had shut her out. She rang the gate and was told nothing could be done. My seat had been reallocated. I was blamed for being too late. A fact which I dispute since I was given both a boarding card and baggage tags. (Baggage tags were mine, boarding card was not!)

I was unimpressed, but was booked on the flight for the following night, but was told that delta would not help with a hotel. Turns out they were overbooked by one passenger.

When I went to speak to the supervisor, I was told nothing could be done and he scolded the gate agent for not calling him, as he said he could have gotten me onto the flight.

I have the baggage tags which show I was at JFK with enough time to get checked in, the reason we ran out of time was because I was given the wrong boarding card.

I would have had little difficulty staying for another night if they could have helped with getting me somewhere to stay. Instead they seem to have used their delay at check in to bump me off the flight for free.

The only thing they did provide was a ride back into Manhattan, which I asked for rather than their suggesting it. Also, when I went back in to check when the ride might arrive, the agent gave me her name, in case I wanted to write a letter to delta to compliment her on how she handled things!

As a post script, when I arrived the following evening for my flight, I had lost my economy comfort seat. When I started to speak to the supervisor, he kept repeating I cannot upgrade you. All I was trying to say was that I'd been downgraded.

So in short, I'm down 350 dollars for a night in a hotel (lousy time of year for cheap rooms in NY), an extra day's expenses and an extra cab fare to JFK.
I really am furious about it.

My blood was boiling having to listen to that nonsense from the Delta dude on the video about how he sits at the founders desk, business founded on honesty, integrity, mutual respect etc. Seemed very much at odds with what I experienced.

Seems to me Delta basically used the cheapest way possible to make their oversold flight work, at my expense.

Have tried to be brief as possible. Any suggestions appreciated!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: UAL Platinum, Amex Plat, Kimpton Inner Circle
I would use the email link on Deta.com. I know you want to speak to someone, but everytime I've used that link, I've gotten a personal response and usually satisfactory compensation.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Showing up 65 minutes before an international flight is asking for trouble... and you got it.
mediator and Daitheflu84 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Seems to me that you were not actually "checked in" if she was "locked out"....as I think any agent can re-print a Boarding Card...and there shouldn't be restrictions *unless* this is restricted to GA's at T-minus 60 minutes.

Anyways, I sympathize with your situation, and this is why INTL check-in is suggested at 3 hours. A mere 65 minutes at JFK is pretty tight and doesn't allow any room for mistakes (on either side of the fence).
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
not that it matters, but why did you opt to stay in the city where cheap hotels are like trying to find an AA flight without a 1950's style gym teacher on board?

You could've got something at JFK for around $150 a night.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
1) I don't know why they couldn't have just rerouted you via the late night departures via AMS or CDG.

2) They CERTAINLY goofed! There's no reason that I can think of why you should have to pay for the hotel!!!!!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
You have been wronged. A day wasted in NYC!

A polite note with all the relevant details and the image of the baggage tags should be enough to send via the 'Contact Us' link/ button at www.delta.com

A reimbursement for all expenses incurred + an unrestricted SWU/ Upgrade certificate + at least 25k skymiles should be your request.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
not that it matters, but why did you opt to stay in the city where cheap hotels are like trying to find an AA flight without a 1950's style gym teacher on board?

I sympathize. However, you should have stayed at an airport hotel. If you wanted an extra day in Manhattan (which you stated you were happy to have), you can't really complain about the taxi to/from and hotel rates. Delta should have bought you a hotel at JFK, but instead got you a taxi (from their perspective, the two probably cost them about the same). Anyways, the EC downgrade will be promptly refunded if you email them, and you might get some skypesos for the trouble.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Showing up 65 minutes before an international flight is asking for trouble... and you got it.

Within the time limit, is within the time limit. I walked straight to the business desk and check in process began immediately, within the time limit.

Thanks for the input. Email just despatched.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
you could also try @deltaassist via twitter. there you should get a quick response from a real person....
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keloutwest
I sympathize. However, you should have stayed at an airport hotel. If you wanted an extra day in Manhattan (which you stated you were happy to have), you can't really complain about the taxi to/from and hotel rates. Delta should have bought you a hotel at JFK, but instead got you a taxi (from their perspective, the two probably cost them about the same). Anyways, the EC downgrade will be promptly refunded if you email them, and you might get some skypesos for the trouble.
Hi thanks for your reply.

Was happy enough to stay, but staying at JFK and checking out and having 8 hours to kill afterwards didn't make sense. Should also have pointed out that I used discount travel site to find the best workable deal. My principle problem with all of this is that I feel delta have used the situation to compensate for an oversold flight at my expense.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nebraskaboy
you could also try @deltaassist via twitter. there you should get a quick response from a real person....
Thanks. Will try that too. Anything to avoid an automated response.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:47 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
You were wronged, as the issue is binary: either you made the cutoff or you did not. Whether you made it by 5 minutes or 5 hours is immaterial.

That said, what would you have done if there was an unusual line at the B/E check-ins and kiosks? I know it is rare, but I've seen it before. (Not to mention if you were a further 5 minutes delayed in your travel to JFK, whether by subway or taxi or whatever... 5 minutes is nothing in NY traffic!.) You were definitely cutting it too close for comfort. But again, 65 is ok and 60 is not.

As an aside, I have checked in at 59 minutes with luggage to check. The kiosk locked me out but an agent was able to override and get me on my way. I appreciated this very much. I know others who were given no leniency on the 60 minute rule and either took a later flight or left their luggage behind.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Checking in a little over an hour before an international flight is generally a risky course of action. All it takes is one agent screw-up (which you experienced), one TSA screener on a crusade to find the 3.5oz tube of toothpaste in your bag, or one delay on your way to the gate to miss it, especially at the massive maze that is JFK.

That said, Delta definitely handled the situation very poorly. I'd send in a complaint via Delta's website and walk them through everything that happened, and tell them that at the very least, because their agent screwed up and cost you your seat, you expect them to reimburse your hotel, dining and transportation expenses for that night. Whether they agree to reimburse you or not, you'll probably get some miles randomly appearing in your account, as well as a travel voucher. Every time I've sent any inquiry through Delta's website, I've gotten a response from a real person. Sometimes it's a canned response, but replying to say, "Hey, I'm real happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but that had nothing to do with my question," results in a real person contacting me directly to work through the issue or provide a better answer.

Last edited by T.J. Bender; Dec 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nypdLieu

1950s gym teacher? lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.