Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really very angry with delta

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by andryas
If the baggage tag was issued with your correct PNR and destination, you were checked in. You were just given a random BP, your correct BP could be printed but not given to you. It IS a clever and shameful way of getting out of oversold situation for cheap. Write to the DOT.
Agree, but try the airline first. You can always follow up with DOT later.

Originally Posted by dd1612
The OP completed a VALID check-in, as he was given Baggage tags for his check-in bags and one cannot get baggage tags without a valid check-in.
The OP was given someone else's BP ... whether in a mistake (or in a shenanigan0 we don't know.
The GA played a game to avoid paying IDB ... can be deduced from the conversation with the RC.
The GAs and RCs these don't care ... about inconveniencing a pax ... that is what Delta has to fix!
In my view the OP is entitled to:
a. Reimbursement of any expenses incurred.
b. One DL TCV for $600 being IDB compensation.
c. At least 25k miles for the loss of a day ... and the treatment meted out by the GA and RC

More importantly any check-in at T-60 Minutes is VALID.
Agree. I'd try this first.

Originally Posted by Often1
If OP starts down the IDB and DOT route, he will wind up with $0. It's not an IDB and DOT won't get involved. But, the complaint will move from DL's CS people to the regulatory compliance people and when they figure out that while what happened is unacceptable CS, that it wasn't a violation, they will just say "no." and "no" it will be. Something about killing goose which lays golden egg says stick with the CS complaint which is clear & concise.
You are outright wrong about DOT complaints yielding "zero" from DL or any other carrier. A well written complaint to DOT will frequently result in more compensation than a letter to DL alone. BUT I agree that OP should try DL first.

I agree that I might well not claim IDB, I would lay out the facts clearly and succinctly, without claiming malice. The DOT may or may not impute that this is an IDB case - but let them make that assessment. A simple "I was checked in, as evidenced by the baggage tags in my name, they handed me the incorrect boarding passes, but the baggage tags clearly show I was checked in, and then I was removed from the flight and my seat was given to someone else..."

The DOT exists because carriers such as DL do not always do the right thing. If it's even close to an IDB situation then DL will take care of the customer and note that back to DOT. BTDT, got a much fairer resolution than DL was willing to offer on their own.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:16 am
Suspended

Completely Agree

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Showing up 65 minutes before an international flight is asking for trouble... and you got it.
You should have been there at least two hours earlier.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
You should have been there at least two hours earlier.
Delta should have put him on the first flight.

We can all play that game.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Irelandflyer
Within the time limit, is within the time limit. I walked straight to the business desk and check in process began immediately, within the time limit.

Thanks for the input. Email just despatched.
This scenario makes absolutely no sense. If you were checked in for the flight, which you would have had to have been in order for the agent to check your bags and issue your baggage claim tickets (which then link automatically to your PNR), any agent can re-print a BP. You can do that up to the moment you walk on the plane. Why couldn't they see you as checked in and just print a BP (even the dumb terminals can do that)?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
OP - Unless I missed it, what ever happened to your bag? Was is yanked off the plane and given back to you? If not, did you eventually find it in DUB the next day?

I'm still thinking along the lines that if the bag was processed, he was probably checked in, and probably could've gotten a duplicate BP, but that's hind sight now!

(The poster above and I think alike - 4 minutes apart!)

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 12, 2011 at 11:29 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Supervisor was a red coat and was initially no where to be seen. .
Generally speaking Red Coats are not supervisors, especially of ticketing/check in agents. Red Coats are customer service agents with the ability, frequently, to move mountains for DL customers. If the issue was with the ticketing/check in agent, they would have called their supervisor, not a Red Coat (unless requested).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Have to admit, I'm kinda waiting for Robert going to LHR to show up complaining about receiving a BP to Ireland...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Amtrak Select, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveler19
there is even a smartphone app for Delta which allows check in 24 hrs before.... and since you are already checked in you just print your boarding pass (and check bags no later than 60 mins before flying--- and this one is a TSA issue)
Unless they've changed it since late November, smartphone app won't let you check in for international itineraries (at least in my experience). You can still check in online, but the app doesn't support it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:37 am

Wow, what a horrible experience. Kudos to you for not completely throwing a rant here!

Whether you cut it close or not seems irrelevant so long as you made the cut. Frankly, I don't understand how anyone who doesn't work for Delta could actually take the side of incompetent (or deceiving?) employees on this one?! I've worked in Customer Service for a few years and this is 100% Delta's fault.

I had a major problem with DL last year when I was somehow on the only flight that wasn't cancelled from JFK on 26 Dec during the blizzard of the decade. They had us stuck for hours on the plane and then eventually told us to get off and couldn't rebook us for 4 days, lost our bags and from a direct flight they rerouted us with a layover continued a non-partner airline. The worst part was that I had called 2 days before the blizzard asking to leave a day earlier without getting charged any fees and they refused. That alone made the whole ordeal their fault, in my opinion.

I emailed them and got a response within 24 hours with a 150 USD voucher. Someone else on my flight got 200USD for some reason.

I guess if you want the money then you be polite and patient and use the email option. Otherwise if you want to at least try to get some justice out of a VERY unfair situation (assuming this was done to bump you out on purpose) then you should go to the DOT, even if nothing comes out of it.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by jsmith50
This scenario makes absolutely no sense. If you were checked in for the flight, which you would have had to have been in order for the agent to check your bags and issue your baggage claim tickets (which then link automatically to your PNR), any agent can re-print a BP. You can do that up to the moment you walk on the plane. Why couldn't they see you as checked in and just print a BP (even the dumb terminals can do that)?
I agree, also. Yes where are the bags?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mkt80
Whether you cut it close or not seems irrelevant so long as you made the cut. Frankly, I don't understand how anyone who doesn't work for Delta could actually take the side of incompetent (or deceiving?) employees on this one?! I've worked in Customer Service for a few years and this is 100% Delta's fault.
On a message board such as this, I don't think we ever have quite enough information about a situation to ever say that anything is 100% DL's fault (or anyone else's for that matter)! And, the timing is absolutely relevant in this situation. As another poster illustrated earlier, the verbage from DL's website clearly states that the check-in process must be COMPLETE by T-60, so if the OP either made it in time or he didn't!

Example to illustrate this point. I check in for a tatl flight, my bags are tagged and I'm provided with my claim tix. I head off for security and upon reaching the checkpoint realize I have missplaced/lost my BP and it is now less than T-60 until my flight leaves. I return to check in or a terminal, swipe my card, re-print my BP and I'm on my way. The system still recognizes that I checked in before the cut off and allows me to proceed!

Second scenario...I go to check in, the agent inadvertently checks in another pax thinking they picked the correct person from their computerized list. Someone else's bag tags are slapped on mine, I'm handed someone else's BP and I head off toward security only to realize this time that I am holding someone else's BP. This time I go back to check in, the agent pulls me up in the system and it's now beyond T-60, I'm out of luck! Yes, it was the DL agent's fault for not checking me in appropriately, but it's my fault for cutting it so close and not verifying my BP before I leave the counter!

I think we're a little quick to point the finger at DL here when it sounds like the OP was just as much (if not more) to blame!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Originally Posted by davetravels
OP - Unless I missed it, what ever happened to your bag? Was is yanked off the plane and given back to you? If not, did you eventually find it in DUB the next day?

I'm still thinking along the lines that if the bag was processed, he was probably checked in, and probably could've gotten a duplicate BP, but that's hind sight now!

(The poster above and I think alike - 4 minutes apart!)
The bags were placed on a trolley. There didn't seem to be a conveyor belt. So they were returned to me immediately.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Generally speaking Red Coats are not supervisors, especially of ticketing/check in agents. Red Coats are customer service agents with the ability, frequently, to move mountains for DL customers. If the issue was with the ticketing/check in agent, they would have called their supervisor, not a Red Coat (unless requested).
I was directed to the redcoat by the check in agent, who said he was her supervisor.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

On a message board such as this, I don't think we ever have quite enough information about a situation to ever say that anything is 100% DL's fault (or anyone else's for that matter)! And, the timing is absolutely relevant in this situation. As another poster illustrated earlier, the verbage from DL's website clearly states that the check-in process must be COMPLETE by T-60, so if the OP either made it in time or he didn't!

Example to illustrate this point. I check in for a tatl flight, my bags are tagged and I'm provided with my claim tix. I head off for security and upon reaching the checkpoint realize I have missplaced/lost my BP and it is now less than T-60 until my flight leaves. I return to check in or a terminal, swipe my card, re-print my BP and I'm on my way. The system still recognizes that I checked in before the cut off and allows me to proceed!

Second scenario...I go to check in, the agent inadvertently checks in another pax thinking they picked the correct person from their computerized list. Someone else's bag tags are slapped on mine, I'm handed someone else's BP and I head off toward security only to realize this time that I am holding someone else's BP. This time I go back to check in, the agent pulls me up in the system and it's now beyond T-60, I'm out of luck! Yes, it was the DL agent's fault for not checking me in appropriately, but it's my fault for cutting it so close and not verifying my BP before I leave the counter!

I think we're a little quick to point the finger at DL here when it sounds like the OP was just as much (if not more) to blame!
Thanks for the input. I passed through the T60 because firstly the agent gave me the wrong boarding pass, then secondly seemed to be unsure of how to rectify things. I would respectfully suggest I have a slight advantage in terms of pointing the finger, in that I was actually there!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:08 pm

Thanks for the input. I passed through the T60 because firstly the agent gave me the wrong boarding pass, then secondly seemed to be unsure of how to rectify things. I would respectfully suggest I have a slight advantage in terms of pointing the finger, in that I was actually there!
OP, the issue I have with this (and I'm not trying to assign fault) is that the DL system CAN NOT, I mean ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT, print baggage claim tix for a bag without that bag being associated with a checked in passenger. The system requires the agent to check you in, then process your bags, at which point your tags print. If you had bag tags with your name on them, then you were checked in! If you were checked in, you could easily re-print your BP. That action does not require a supervisor's intervention!

I hope you share DL's response when you get one to see what explanation they might have as to how you got checked in, un-checked in, and then out of luck because what you describe is literally impossible otherwise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.