Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

One engine much louder than other - anyone experienced this?

Old Dec 5, 11, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

I'm a bit of a nervous flyer, admittedly, but am on a flight right now, a 757 in which the left engine was really howling on takeoff through climb. Has anyone experienced this? Sounds like they need to grease something.
Old Dec 5, 11, 1:21 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Never noticed this, as for some reason the takeoff roll always puts me to sleep...
Old Dec 5, 11, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
You only need one anyway...no worries.
Old Dec 5, 11, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Airplanes transmit audible harmonics is a way that could make you hear something like that. There isn't much about a plane engine to make noise, other than the compressing and releasing of air. If it was a bearing or something that was screeching, the pilots would know immediately and turn the plane around as there are bearing temperature rtd's that would sense the increased bearing temps. They also monitor turbine vibration. A bearing will go from failing to failed almost immediately so if your still flying it's fine.
Old Dec 5, 11, 3:01 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Some planes are just noisier than others. I have been on 757s where you think the engine is going to spin out of control, but it doesn't. And I have been on quiet ones. the noisiest planes IMHO are the Airbusses. And, of course, it depends where you are sitting.
Old Dec 5, 11, 3:03 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Haven't flown on a 757, so I don't know where their equipment is, but you could also have been hearing a hydraulic pump, or an APU/GTC on one side or the other.
Old Dec 5, 11, 4:13 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by tvnwz View Post
Some planes are just noisier than others. I have been on 757s where you think the engine is going to spin out of control, but it doesn't. And I have been on quiet ones. the noisiest planes IMHO are the Airbusses. And, of course, it depends where you are sitting.
Are you talking A319s and A320s? On my one and only ride on an A330 (Hawaiian Airlines), sitting in 18A, right next to the port engine, my observation is that it was one very quiet ride.
Old Dec 5, 11, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Talking

Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
I'm a bit of a nervous flyer, admittedly, but am on a flight right now, a 757 in which the left engine was really howling on takeoff through climb. Has anyone experienced this? Sounds like they need to grease something.
Have you asked anyone else if they are noticing the same phenomenon?

Maybe there is just something wrong with your right ear?
Old Dec 5, 11, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta FO/1.3MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
Never noticed this, as for some reason the takeoff roll always puts me to sleep...
So I'm not the only one. Sitting in JFK crown room, errr, skyclub, right now. We pushed back from the gate and I was asleep before the safety announcement was over.

OP - just ask an FA.
Old Dec 5, 11, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat0809 View Post
So I'm not the only one. Sitting in JFK crown room, errr, skyclub, right now. We pushed back from the gate and I was asleep before the safety announcement was over.

OP - just ask an FA.
Me 3. I have always started to doze off during taxi and take off roll. Usually it is the rotation or initial turn on heading that wakes me up. I wish I could do that at altitude when I really want to.
Old Dec 5, 11, 5:25 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by Deadtail View Post
Airplanes transmit audible harmonics is a way that could make you hear something like that.
yeah, i think this is the deal. if you're positioned just right relative to the engine (in front, usually), you can get a loud buzz at just the right engine speed. on the 752, i usually hear it toward the back of the F cabin, when they first pull back from takeoff thrust early in the climbout. this would pass quickly, tho (minute or two), and would be done by the time i had my laptop out and connected to gogo....

Originally Posted by tvnwz
the noisiest planes IMHO are the Airbusses.
the NW airbii throw quite a buzz on climbout if you're sitting up in row 1....
Old Dec 5, 11, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat1A View Post
yeah, i think this is the deal. if you're positioned just right relative to the engine (in front, usually), you can get a loud buzz at just the right engine speed. on the 752, i usually hear it toward the back of the F cabin, when they first pull back from takeoff thrust early in the climbout. this would pass quickly, tho (minute or two), and would be done by the time i had my laptop out and connected to gogo....

the NW airbii throw quite a buzz on climbout if you're sitting up in row 1....
I don't know how many of you have been on the 380 upstairs but it is so quiet as to be disturbing. You can whisper and be heard. The other odd thing is because it is so huge it feels like you are going 40mph when it lifts off. I think I prefer some buzz and noise
Old Dec 5, 11, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta FO/1.3MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
I don't know how many of you have been on the 380 upstairs but it is so quiet as to be disturbing. You can whisper and be heard. The other odd thing is because it is so huge it feels like you are going 40mph when it lifts off. I think I prefer some buzz and noise
Not all of us are that lucky Avid . Heck, I'm happy I sat up top on a 747-200 back in the 1980's ... I'm waiting for my first A380 flight - let alone getting up top. I just gotta find a reason to do int'l travel first
Old Dec 5, 11, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Very true. Took an AF 380 last week CDG-IAD. It was extremely quiet upstairs. And we were seated just in front of the wing.
Old Dec 5, 11, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat0809 View Post
Not all of us are that lucky Avid . Heck, I'm happy I sat up top on a 747-200 back in the 1980's ... I'm waiting for my first A380 flight - let alone getting up top. I just gotta find a reason to do int'l travel first
In my opinion one of the best ways to burn some miles is KE upstairs on the 380. I have not used miles so I am not sure how much but I can tell you it is an EXPERIENCE. You will find yourself sitting at the bar and wandering around. The FA's food and service were all memorable. Just a fantastic experience and one you walk away from not feeling like you wasted money/miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: