Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

777-200LR Economy Comfort & exit row questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

A friend and I are flying to HKG next week, and are currently in row 44 (exit/bulkhead), but debating whether or not to upgrade to economy comfort. We're both pretty petite, so the extra legroom in 44 versus EC is not an issue either way, and we have tons of drink coupons, so the free drinks in EC are not really a variable either. Basically, we're trying to decide if the extra recline, having an actual window, and being closer to the front are worth the extra $120pp. Any thoughts?

Also, it's unclear whether or not there is a window just in front/behind 44A (where one could look out if leaning forward or reclining - I know there's not a window right on that row). Seatguru says no window at all, Seatexpert says "obstructed window view". Can anyone clarify this?

Thank you!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I cannot help much with your questions, but I can tell you that EC is not a separate cabin separated by bulkheads or curtains. It is just the first half dozen or so rows of seats with seat covers saying EC. There are bassinet positions in the first row.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by TravelgirlAtl
A friend and I are flying to HKG next week, and are currently in row 44 (exit/bulkhead), but debating whether or not to upgrade to economy comfort. We're both pretty petite, so the extra legroom in 44 versus EC is not an issue either way, and we have tons of drink coupons, so the free drinks in EC are not really a variable either. Basically, we're trying to decide if the extra recline, having an actual window, and being closer to the front are worth the extra $120pp. Any thoughts?

Also, it's unclear whether or not there is a window just in front/behind 44A (where one could look out if leaning forward or reclining - I know there's not a window right on that row). Seatguru says no window at all, Seatexpert says "obstructed window view". Can anyone clarify this?

Thank you!

I asked the same thing about a month back. The consensus was you couldn't go wrong in either place. In the end, I opted for EC bulkhead for the booze (non-issue for you) and the fact that it's a little quieter there without the congregating for the restroom. Both would be great, and better than standard Y for the 15:30 (!!!) flight.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Based on what you are saying, I'd save the money and stick with the Exit Row.

But, is that price correct? It seems a little high, and you should be getting a discount as an FO. I've been in EC once and it only cost $40 for me as a GM. I know the GM discount is more, but that seems like a large gap. On the other hand, I was flying ATL-MUC, so a TPAC flight may just cost more.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by thirtyfour
Based on what you are saying, I'd save the money and stick with the Exit Row.

But, is that price correct? It seems a little high, and you should be getting a discount as an FO. I've been in EC once and it only cost $40 for me as a GM. I know the GM discount is more, but that seems like a large gap. On the other hand, I was flying ATL-MUC, so a TPAC flight may just cost more.
I believe that the surcharge for EC is mileage based and so it would make sense that a TPAC flight would be more expensive.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I cannot help much with your questions, but I can tell you that EC is not a separate cabin separated by bulkheads or curtains. It is just the first half dozen or so rows of seats with seat covers saying EC. There are bassinet positions in the first row.
wish I could help you out as well, however, I can only be found living the high life in the business class cabin on 777's!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
I flew on a 767 over the Atlantic and was in your spot.. I secured the back exit row bulkhead, but there were some ECs open. I opted to save the money and I honestly regretted it. I didn't get a wink of sleep on the way back because everyone just gathered in my leg room or otherwise got in my space waiting for the restrooms / "stretching" / etc. Plus I'm a pretty thin guy and I found the seats a little restrictive.

Having said that, I'm not sure the EC would be worth springing $160 for RT, but I would think people willing to spring for the extra money to sit at the front of Y or are otherwise granted the seats from their elite status tend to be more polite or aware that ones legroom is sacred.

YMMV I guess, but my 9 hour flight back from Europe sitting in the back bulkhead was probably my worst flight ever. Even worse than the time I got stuck in a middle seat in the non-reclining very last row of a 777 for 10 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the input! Friend and I are still debating, as it appears the responses here are a bit mixed, so keep the opinions coming!

ETA: Thirtyfour, yup, $120 for TPAC for FOs - I think TATL is half as much!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Thank you all so much for the input! Friend and I are still debating, as it appears the responses here are a bit mixed, so keep the opinions coming!

ETA: Thirtyfour, yup, $120 for TPAC for FOs - I think TATL is half as much!
As the misses would say, whats more important, your money or your time?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, US CP, SPG Gold
Hello,

I just got back from HKG a few days ago and was in the exit row on the DTW-HKG outbound (the longer flight) and it was fine. The flight was 80% full, but never really had a problem with people congregating near the lavs. Even when people got up to stretch their legs and stand for a while, there is so much leg room that they were far away and not even close to being a nuissance. Actually most folks ended hanging out in the area between the middle bulkhead and the lavs. I like window seats and it was nice to have the "window" seat and still be able to get up without climbing over anyone. BTW, there is no actual window there, which actually was good for resting my head against the wall.

I was expecting to have a miserable flight since I'd never been on a flight near that long in coach, but it turned out to be quite pleasant. On the way back, HKG-DTW, I sat in row 35 which is right behind EC (exit row was already taken at booking) and I was glad I decided not to get EC because I had just as much legroom, and it didnt seem that the EC seats had that much more recline. Also, EC was completely full, while I got lucky and ended up having one of the only few empty middle seats on the flight.

Had I not been able to get exit or row 35, I probably would've opted for EC. I'm hoping a few years down the road DL rolls out a true Premium Economy product like AF, AZ, VS, etc, then it would really be worth it!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Dartagan - great info! One other question - do you recall if there was a window close enough in the row behind that "window" seat to peek out at least a bit while reclined?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, US CP, SPG Gold
It was a bit difficult to peak out the window behind from what I recall. most people kept their shades down the whole flight anyway. When I would get up, I would look through the tiny window on the exit door and was amazed/confused that the sun had risen and set 3 times (or so it seemed to me). On Long hauls, I usually fly just TATL on AF in J or Premium Voyageur so I was pleasantly surprised at how decent of a flight I had in Y TPAC on DL! Not to mention the IFE has a ton of movies to make the time go by
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
I will be sitting on 44A this coming sunday afternoon/night
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:04 am

Thank you so much, Dartagan - great info! One other question - do you recall if there was a window close enough in the row behind that "window" seat to peek out at least a bit while reclined?
Can just lean forward (Harder from A than B/C) or get up -- to utilize window in exit door. Leg room somewhat restricted in A.

IIRC reclining back you have a most blocked view but you'll be able to see a little bit.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: EconoLodge Gold BedBug Elite
The only value is that you might own the row of seats as most people aren't willing to spent a penny more. I flew EC from MSP-NRT on a 74 and I "owned the row". I never reclined my seat once -- just laid out my bed went unconscious. From HKG-DTW I had coach but once again, I had the 3-seat row to myself and setup my basecamp without needing to recline. When you pick your seats, you can gamble and put yourself in the middle. Just look at the seat loading and you can make your guesses from there. I thought I read somewhere that you can upgrade from coach to EC if you're at least willing to pay (or not if they don't care). So I suppose if you monitor seating and find a row section empty, take it! Pay them if they ask. That IMO is worth the $120 or $60 or whatever you get charged.

Just keep in mind that there isn't any extra service from the FA's. They make their usual rounds which are sufficient enough. I'm a beer drinking and always get two at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.