FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Strange email titled earning Platinum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1286844-strange-email-titled-earning-platinum.html)

Ti22 Dec 2, 2011 8:15 am

Strange email titled earning Platinum?

Delta sent me a marketing email titled: "Earn Platinum Medallion Status Now - Buy MQMs"

Obviously, the message is about the buy MQM program which I was already aware of from hanging around here but the odd thing to me is that I already made Platinum for next year late Aug, early Sep and on pace to roll over about 29k MQM's.

But this email makes it sound as if Delta thinks I haven't earned PM yet so might want to buy MQM's? Worried me enough that I logged in to make sure my math was correct but it shows 97k MQM's to date including rollover from previous year.

Is there something I don't know about rollover MQM's so that it doesn't count towards MQM balance this year? Take rollover away I would currently be short for Platinum but not likely after the confirmed trips before year end.

I dunno? 'just confused and paranoid when they send stuff like this out...

eturowski Dec 2, 2011 8:18 am

I got one that said, "Earn Silver Medallion Status Now" this morning. I wouldn't be too worried about it - they are probably just mass-emailing everyone according to mileage level to maximize exposure to the MQM promotion.

Awsm Dec 2, 2011 8:18 am

It's mass email. Cheaper to just send it to 'everyone' rather than alter the software algorithm to exclude those who have already achieved whatever status they are at. Which is weird since obviously, they have filtered out silver and gold on your part ... it really just needs a few more lines of code ...

Josephmay Dec 2, 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Ti22 (Post 17553304)
Delta sent me a marketing email titled: "Earn Platinum Medallion Status Now - Buy MQMs"

Obviously, the message is about the buy MQM program which I was already aware of from hanging around here but the odd thing to me is that I already made Platinum for next year late Aug, early Sep and on pace to roll over about 29k MQM's.

But this email makes it sound as if Delta thinks I haven't earned PM yet so might want to buy MQM's? Worried me enough that I logged in to make sure my math was correct but it shows 97k MQM's to date including rollover from previous year.

Is there something I don't know about rollover MQM's so that it doesn't count towards MQM balance this year? Take rollover away I would currently be short for Platinum but not likely after the confirmed trips before year end.

I dunno? 'just confused and paranoid when they send stuff like this out...

Don't be confused and paranoid.... its just marketing. I received one for earning GOLD. (I'll share a secret- I'm already Gold.)

Ti22 Dec 2, 2011 8:30 am

Thank you folks, 'might be time to turn that nonsense off in account settings?

I learn everything new here here on FT long before Delta marketing gets around to it and at least here, they don't scare the devil out of me...

matuag Dec 2, 2011 8:42 am

Wondering for those of you who got the email, where you one level lower the previous year (2011)?

I got one for Gold, and am 1500 short, so I thought it was accurate, but from what you all are seeing I am wondering if it saw that I was silver at some point this year and thus tried to sell me up to Gold.

Best confirmation would be someone who went up two levels this year, ie. in 2010 qualified for silver for 2011, then qualified for Gold & Plat for 2012, I would assume they would get a email for Gold.

roknroll Dec 2, 2011 8:51 am

I got the same email telling me that I can earn Gold by buying MQM's, and I am already gold. I'm thinking someone screwed up when coding the email, and it used your current status instead of current+1.

PDX1130 Dec 2, 2011 8:53 am

same email. I am sitting at 105K heart skipped for a second and had to log on just to make they didn't snake away 30K

VolareBene Dec 2, 2011 8:54 am

Shucks, here I was thinking Delta was being really smart. I am just 2000 MQMs short of Platinum and Delta sent me the email. I was impressed at how targeted the email was -- guess not.

timf Dec 2, 2011 9:27 am

I got the email about buying miles to make Gold next year, but I'm already Platinum thanks to the early upgrade promotion they ran.

sharktums Dec 2, 2011 9:29 am

I also had a momentary panic when I got the email with the status I already have earned in the the title. Annoying.

Ti22 Dec 2, 2011 9:40 am

Annoying is the word that best describes this IMO. DL marketing, you merely forced me to turn OFF these and probably some not so annoying notifications.

samonyc Dec 2, 2011 9:42 am

Without knowing Delta's process for preparing mailing lists, it's likely the version you received was chosen based on your MQM balance at the time the list was generated. When you're dealing with potentially millions of recipients, there will be a few outliers. I wouldn't read anything into it if you got one inviting you to buy the status level you've already achieved. Myself, I got the PM one, which is appropriate for me as GM (for another 8 days least).

drdr2 Dec 2, 2011 9:44 am

I also got an email "Earn Gold Medallion Status Now". I have already earned GM for this year with 52K miles.

Even if I bought the maximum 10K MQM it would not be enough to move up to PM.

Delta promotions are not always well targeted.

oh912flyer Dec 2, 2011 9:44 am

Mine said buy to make Diamond (2 flights to go, so I will pass). :)

Seems like those of us close to the next level are getting the right email.

Maybe those of you far away are getting a hint to buy so you can rollover and requalify next year?