Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignments taken away

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Thumbs down Seat assignments taken away

I am booked on the A330 ATL-HNL in February. I've had 10 A and B for 2 months now. I checked today and we were now in 34C and D. What gives?

There are no EC seats on the flight and it's still a 333. So no equipment swap or anything... then why the hate from DL?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Unfortunately, no airline (at least none that I've ever seen) actually guarantees that the seat you select will be the one you actually get - your choice can be overwritten for "operational reasons", (or perhaps even just because they don't always correctly handle/process/honour all existing seat requests). It's a bummer, I know!

At least you found out well in advance and can try the whole rigmarole again...

If certain seats are important to you, it's important to keep an eye on your booking.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: AF GOLD, BA BLUE, SPG Corp, etc
had the same issue on a CDG-SFO

Also on a Delta booking on an AF flight. As I was Gold, we had 2 really good seats (on top of 747) and they gave them to others and gave us 2 horrible seats on lower level at the back of the plane and not together. We were not impressed.
The check in people were extremely unhelpful, gave us a load of bollocks blamed a computer incoherence when the DL quota was included in the AF seat plans, then said that a seat request is only a request. That is entirely untrue, when a request is OKed, it's confirmed!
We had to really make a scene at boarding. A manager came, did some computer magic and we got our seats back.
I don't recommend doing that (they can deny boarding if they consider you aggressive) but sometimes you have to stand for your rights and not bend over. AF is terrible for that
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by cedders
Also on a Delta booking on an AF flight. As I was Gold, we had 2 really good seats (on top of 747) and they gave them to others and gave us 2 horrible seats on lower level at the back of the plane and not together. We were not impressed.
The check in people were extremely unhelpful, gave us a load of bollocks blamed a computer incoherence when the DL quota was included in the AF seat plans, then said that a seat request is only a request. That is entirely untrue, when a request is OKed, it's confirmed!
We had to really make a scene at boarding. A manager came, did some computer magic and we got our seats back.
I don't recommend doing that (they can deny boarding if they consider you aggressive) but sometimes you have to stand for your rights and not bend over. AF is terrible for that
Did you select your seats on airfrance.us? If not, you probably never actually had a request in for the seats you thought you had. DL's computers are notorious for not putting things through to AF/KL.

As to requests, they really are requests until you're on the plane (although once you have a BP, it's hard for them to change the seat). There's no such thing as a confirmed seating assignment on any carrier that I know of.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL
BP in hand is no guarantee either. While most here get excited to hear that ding when they scan your BP as you board, I dread it. I had one flight where my seat changed twice between OLCI and actually walking down the jetway. No equipment change, no reason given and definitely not an upgrade.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by florin
I am booked on the A330 ATL-HNL in February. I've had 10 A and B for 2 months now. I checked today and we were now in 34C and D. What gives?

There are no EC seats on the flight and it's still a 333. So no equipment swap or anything... then why the hate from DL?
You could have had an equipment swap. DL seatmaps and subsequently computer seat assignments are linked to the actual aircraft rather than aircraft type so they could have swapped out the assigned 333 and replaced it with another which caused the seat assignment change.

As for AF, even selecting through their own website states that the selection is a seat request and the assignment may be changed by AirFrance.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

call DL, what do they say?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
call DL, what do they say?
^ I know I certainly would expect an explanation.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
BP in hand is no guarantee either. While most here get excited to hear that ding when they scan your BP as you board, I dread it. I had one flight where my seat changed twice between OLCI and actually walking down the jetway. No equipment change, no reason given and definitely not an upgrade.
That's when you are travelling in economy class. But what when you are travelling in BE and you hear the ding as your BP is scanned?

I was on AMS-IAD last week. As I walked to the gate, I thought KLM changed the gate again, as the aircraft I saw was a 747 instead of the 330 that had been scheduled. I was relieved to find out that I was not at the wrong gate, but that it was equipment change. I thought nothing of it, until my BP dinged. Just for a second I said to myself, "What the heck is going on? Did they downgrade me? " I breathed a sigh of relief when I realised it was just a seat change.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can exit row be selected in advance by FO and a companion? I think some of the rules about premium seating may have changed recently. This could have resulted in the computer booting you, or was one the the passengers perhaps underage, handicapped, etc.?

Note that I forgot to quote the OP. This refers to 10AB on the A330.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Even though the aircraft type did not change, you can lose your seat assignments if they change the individual aircraft assigned to the flight. This has happened to me numerous times. As with most other problems regarding Delta, you can thank their IT department.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If certain seats are important to you, it's important to keep an eye on your booking.
Exactly. The OP has been around FT and the DL forum long enough he should have realized that. Too bad. A cheap lesson to learn, I guess.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can exit row be selected in advance by FO and a companion? I think some of the rules about premium seating may have changed recently. This could have resulted in the computer booting you, or was one the the passengers perhaps underage, handicapped, etc.?

Note that I forgot to quote the OP. This refers to 10AB on the A330.
no changes. FOs with companion can choose exit row.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call, call, call

Why speculate or listen to others speculate? Call DL and ask. Be concise and nice. If you don't get the answer you want, politely hang up and call back. What you've got may be all that there is, but why not find out for certain.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cedders
then said that a seat request is only a request. That is entirely untrue, when a request is OKed, it's confirmed!
I'm afraid that you are wrong, and they are right.

No airline ever guarantees that the seats you request are the seats you will actually get. A request is a request, and they don't guarantee that all requests will always be met.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.