Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal for a Delta Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Proposal for a Delta Black Friday Sale

Delta should participate in Black Friday by releasing low level award seat on flights that have more than 50% capacity available. Perhaps then it would lose the title of the world's stingiest frequent flyer redemption program.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:15 pm

Thumbs up

^

And only accessible by Zones.

Zone 1: midnight EST to 11:00p.m. EST Diamonds only.

Zone 2: 11:00p.m. EST to 11:59 p.m. EST all others

Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
^

And only accessible by Zones.

Zone 1: midnight EST to 11:00p.m. EST Diamonds only.

Zone 2: 11:00p.m. EST to 11:59 p.m. EST all others

PFFT
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Got me all worked up for nuthin.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kahuna
Delta should participate in Black Friday by releasing low level award seat on flights that have more than 50% capacity available. Perhaps then it would lose the title of the world's stingiest frequent flyer redemption program.
Not if it's only one day.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:00 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Black Friday Delta Doorbuster Alert: PHX-FLL for sale. US200.00 a/i. Only 10 seats available. Must come to the PHX ticket office at 2:00 am.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
CRC doorbusters

Originally Posted by B7e7US
Black Friday Delta Doorbuster Alert: PHX-FLL for sale. US200.00 a/i. Only 10 seats available. Must come to the PHX ticket office at 2:00 am.
Same tix available from DEN, STL, and CLE. Must purchase at PHX, DEN, STL, or CLE Crown Room Clubs.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:18 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Agreed - can a mod alter the thread title to indicate "Proposal" or "suggestion" or something less declarative?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta, United
A little early for April Fools aren't we???
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
Got me all worked up for nuthin.
Originally Posted by andymo99
Agreed - can a mod alter the thread title to indicate "Proposal" or "suggestion" or something less declarative?

Done!

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
I say they do 1 $100 flight to each city from a Hub city at 6am, but the trick is you have to get it from the GA while she is doing her preboarding check. I bet that would be interesting
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
AS Cyber Monday

Too bad I found out too late about Cyber Monday deals by partner Alaska.

Sample from Seattle:
$40 each way Bay Area, Sacramento and Los Angeles area (except LAX)
$60 each way to San Diego and LAX
$75 each way to Denver, Dallas, Vegas, Houston, Austin, St. Louis,
$100 each way to New York, PHX, TUS, ORD
$125 each way to DCA, MSP, BOS,

among others...

Expiring soon sadly....

Jiburi
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Seriously

As I understand it, the airlines have a slower period between thanksgiving and Christmas. So a Black Friday sale should push that inventory. While those with the tools can see which flights have lots of seats, only DL will know which ones to put on sale. They'd have to put 'attractive' cities ideal for short tourism (and maybe have to sync with some outside companies (like Orbitz) to find hotel rooms and TicketMaster for entertainment ideas etc, which they sort of do already in degrees). They can put cities on sale from Maui to Austin to New York to Denver etc. Heck maybe even Paris, Rome and London, Tokyo, Shanghai if they can. They have to be places peope will want to go to see a show or relax or ski or sun at least, if not spend 10-14 days.

Of course I dont know the ideal routes. Airline seat management must be one of the most complicated jobs in the world. As you all know, a seat can only be sold once, sort of like with tv and radio air time, except tv/radio can grab fillers and sell time in packages including prime time and surplus slots. A plane that flies with an empty seat will never be able to recoup that potential revenue.

In general terms, I want the airlines to be profitable and if they have this inventory to sell, a one day Black Friday deep discount sale good for travel that must be initiated and completed during the 3 weeks starting around the Tuesday after Thanksgiving to around December 20th or so might help a lot.

I am taking a quick vacation this week, which I booked with short notice, and got a great deal so I know the inventory and pricing is there, the airlines may need to simply let people know that they are on sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.