Gold v. Platinum

Old Nov 19, 11, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Gold v. Platinum

Outside of Choice benefits; and, waived award fees, are there any differences or benefits with going for Platinum? I will never use a fare that qualifies for the Systemwide Upgrades; and, anyone I would gift status to already has Silver++

I have a trip to Hong Kong on the near horizon (not booked yet). I am sitting now at 10K short of Platinum and the debate is:

A. Go for Plat; or,
B. Let the 15K miles roll over next year and fly HKG in 2012

Don't care much about domestic upgrades. I get a decent advance seat (Exit or BH) stopped looking at the board and hovering the desk years ago. Stress gone

Thoughts??
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat
Hey there -

Trying to figure out the same thing - I'm going to be short about 10k MQMs or 6 segments before the year end. I've gone from no status to GM in less than 10 months with my new job, just wondering if it's worth it to apply for one of the AMEX cards and get it done.

However, as I understand it, only your miles roll over next year - so if I break even on PM, I need to build up 75k or 100 segments before I claim it again. Wouldn't it be better to stick with my MQMs for now?

And comparing the advantages, it seems I only get higher priority for upgrades and a single gift. Not sure....
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Gold), Marriott (Platinum), IHG (Gold), Hyatt (Gold), Avis First
To be honest, I am FO and will be short of 5k from Gold this year. I was thinking about doing a mileage run but nah, thats Ok. I dont mind where I sit on the plane, and all the good stuff that comes with being Gold/Platinum/Diamond, I personally don't care much of. Its temporary anyways so I won't be doing anything to get to a certain status. Just my 2 cents.
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The differences between Gold and Platinum are well documented on the Delta web site and well discussed elsewhere. The importance of the differences are subjective. Over the course of the year I earned Platinum and accumulated 500,000+ Sky Miles and could not be more pleased with the opportunities associated with the benefits associated with award travel! And I could not be more pleased with the complimentary Economy Comfort seats. The newly acquired AMEX Delta Reserve card also allows for complimentary access to Sky Club and a higher priority.

And as a side note, I visited Hong Kong this year to meet the requirements for Platinum. The most enjoyable 17,000 MQMs earned to date. I will be in Frankfurt over Thanksgiving via complimentary Economy Comfort seats and upgrades to first on all domestic flights five days prior to departure (paid for via bump vouchers from the last trip). And the trip to Vienna / Madrid in February via award travel is now 100% business class after three fee-waived changes (100,000 miles).

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Nov 19, 11 at 1:34 pm
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
best place to answer that question is here

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp
Old Nov 19, 11, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This of course depends a lot on your routes and travel times, but usually PM sees a bump in UG % compared to GM that is not insubstantial. Choice benefits and waived award redeposit fees are really the two other big differences between GM and PM.

Don't forget you can use SWUs domestically at K+ fares. I always choose the SWUs as my benefit to lock in upgrades on competitive domestic routes at peak times (I seldom travel internationally and am not likely to buy an M+ fare when I do), or to upgrade a traveling companion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: