Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Newby Gold is begging for Delta expert advice on award ticket to Asia!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newby Gold is begging for Delta expert advice on award ticket to Asia!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by Halle8

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
:-: Got a kick out of your online chat!

I don't think Delta lets you hold a reservation for an extended time. On tricky award tickets, the benefit is simply saving the itinerary in case you need to call back. I'd be particularly careful trying to hold if the itinerary involves a partner airline.

SIN would be the final destination because it is farther away. Valid itineraries have to satisfy something called MPM (maximum permissible mileage). A stopover in singapore would likely exceed MPM for a roundtrip flight US-China.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Federal Flyer I just got the dates I must be in Nanjing! 9 July to Friday, 27 July, 2012.
That means I'd like to leave NYC 30 June or 1 July (29 June is also possible) and return to NYC 28, 29 or 30 July.

The very ideal itinerary would be

JFK - NRT - SIN (5-6 nights here) - NKG(3 weeks here) - NRT(or whatever) - NYC

JFK-NRT and NRT-SIN are Delta operated flights
SIN-NKG (MU750) is a China Eastern direct flight

but I'm guessing this is way too much to hope for

I think it might make the most sense to look for the following:

USA-SIN (I'd consider LAX-ICN-SIN on KE on July 2) with SIN as your destination.

Return is SIN-NKG (open jaw here for 3 weeks).. Take a train to somewhere nearby (XXX) then go XXX-TYO (stopover here) -LAX/SEA/MSP/DTW/ATL or whatever you can find. The ex-TYO may be the toughest leg to find. That and the legs to and from JFK.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I think it might make the most sense to look for the following:

USA-SIN (I'd consider LAX-ICN-SIN on KE on July 2) with SIN as your destination.

Return is SIN-NKG (open jaw here for 3 weeks).. Take a train to somewhere nearby (XXX) then go XXX-TYO (stopover here) -LAX/SEA/MSP/DTW/ATL or whatever you can find. The ex-TYO may be the toughest leg to find. That and the legs to and from JFK.

Another option - don't forget to look at MH: LAX-TPE (MH)-XYZ (CI). I've had luck finding 2 seats for multiple dates on this routing. Takes a while to have an agent look as they have to long sell, but be patient.

CI has a decent amount of availability out of TPE, and TPE is a pretty easy transit point. Just another option if everything else dries up.

Agree on the ex-TYO. You could also consider a day trip out of TYO, and then take the NGO-DTW home.

Is NGO-SIN still offered, or am I mistaken this was once a DL route?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have done it many times.

US NRT MNL/SIN/BKK, HKG NRT, NRT US

But, it has always been with DL only and book on phone with DM/PM line.
Yes you can do OJ + SO.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
What about AeroMexico

This could work well for you, if you are willing to make two connections in Mexico. With AeroMexico, you can fly JFK-MEX-TIJ-PVJ and there should be awards possible for redemption. I have read good reviews for the China and Japan flights; who would know?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Still working on approval at work and looking into options.

I guess my best bet is to splurge on KVS availability tool membership to have even a chance of booking this thing.

That Delta's one-way costs same as 2 way irritates me greatly. It would be so convenient and solve my miles shortage problem if you can book one way for the price of one way. There is an easy, no-hastle First Class Milesaver available for flight back from PVG on the date we want. Cheap and available, taunting me... Sigh.

Nothing is a low level award on Delta in July. We based our selection of airline to earn status on based on personal experience with on-time flights and and travel experience (which were horrible with AA) but now I think we made a mistake. AA, while late and inept when flying, has a much much easier award redemption.

I just booked our trip to Vail Eagle airport without even having to call anyone, on dates we wanted, for 25K pp roundtrip.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway

I've done it before with no issues.

I should really give my RES center more JWD certs.
I could never, ever get BOS-CDG-SGN to price out at 120k. An absolutely fantastic routing to get to that part of the world from the east coast, but always priced out at 220k.

Still confused how you managed to get this to happen - I tried 10s and 10s of agents. Ultimately, I was able to book BOS-SLC-LAX-TPE-SGN, REP-NRT, NGO-DTW-BOS for 120k (2 tickets at that) without issue...but I would have preferred the EU routing.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flying_q
I could never, ever get BOS-CDG-SGN to price out at 120k. An absolutely fantastic routing to get to that part of the world from the east coast, but always priced out at 220k.
I'm not sure which is the definitive fare basis to permit award routings, but DL's Y, JFF and JFFUS fares for BOS-SGN all have routings via the Atlantic with higher MPMs than the TPAC routings for other fare bases.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
M - Fare with 50K miles return.
So what did you pay for the ticket? If you're willing to pay, flying in C is easy.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We based our selection of airline to earn status on based on personal experience with on-time flights and and travel experience (which were horrible with AA) but now I think we made a mistake. AA, while late and inept when flying, has a much much easier award redemption.

I just booked our trip to Vail Eagle airport without even having to call anyone, on dates we wanted, for 25K pp roundtrip.
Vail may have been easy, but I promise you one can't book an award trip to Singapore online with AA miles at aa.com - aa.com searches American and Alaska Airlines inventory only, and neither carrier flies to SIN. You would do well to understand AA's very restrictive stopover rules, too. (You would get 1/2 cost one-way award pricing.)
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm not sure which is the definitive fare basis to permit award routings, but DL's Y, JFF and JFFUS fares for BOS-SGN all have routings via the Atlantic with higher MPMs than the TPAC routings for other fare bases.
Hm - interesting. Are you saying the allowable MPM is greater, or the actual mileage exceeds the published MPM?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not an experienced international traveler, and to be honest did not take the time to read through the entire thread, but I am similar to the OP in that (a) have not flown international J before (b) booked a complicated trip to synch up with travel of my significant other (c) had one account with a lot of miles and the other with not enough.

In my case, S.O. was going RDU-OTP (Bucharest), then to CDG, where I meet her and then we fly back to RDU together.

My experience:

a) I could put her ticket on hold for 48 hours because she didn't have enough miles in her account. I booked her ticket, held it, then booked mine, going through various permutations, and eventually found an itinerary I was happy with, then went back and transferred enough Amex points to get her account up to where it needed to be.
b) We are flying Y in one direction and J in the other.
c) We are flying on partner metal. You cannot get interntional F tickets with DL miles, you can't get partner F and DL doesn't have F, only J.
d) Here's the biggie, I called over and over and over. I had one CSR give me flight options, then the next time I called I started to tell the CSR the flights I wanted her to look at and she told me "I can't look at anything in particular, I just have to search." I wound up making at least 5, maybe 6, calls in a 72-hour period. (At one point I made a chance in my wife's reservation, which extended the hold period.)
e) With enough persistence, we wound up with tickets for the minimum (30K to Europe in Y and 50K home from Europe in J).

As a rewind to last year, when Mrs. Redtop went to Europe (alone) I called DL and got the following mileage quotes for RDU-OTP: 92,500-120,000 depending on routing, then 200,000, then "nothing available," then 60,000 (the minimum).

I was told that they can only search 5 days, i.e. if you want to go in one direction on a given day, they can search that day, then search returns in a 5-day window.

Anyway, that was my experience - mostly about persistence.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by flying_q
Hm - interesting. Are you saying the allowable MPM is greater, or the actual mileage exceeds the published MPM?
There are often extra fares filed from coastal cities to Asian destinations, so that one has the TATL MPM and the other has the TPAC MPM. What's frustrating about this is that people have a horrible time routing SEA/SFO/LAX-India via the Pacific, even though DL publishes fares that route that TPAC, and JFK/WAS/BOS-Asia via the Atlantic when AF/KL clearly have fares published on those routings and sometimes DL even has them. I think the success stories we've seen for routing Asia via the Atlantic or India via the Pacific have been 100% on partner metal so that a published fare from that partner is checked for the routing. A definitive statement (rather than deadening silence) from DL on this would be nice.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:21 am
Suspended

Just to add to previous poster

Right now DL has a November promotion for 100% bonus miles for transfer.

If you have the cash to spare it will help get you up to J class if you transfer 150K miles of his miles to your account would give you 300K miles to play with. I think it is easier to make it happen this way. You of course need to sign up for it and read the T&C first.

Middle of summer is a tough time to fly because it all depends on availability. You are much better off, if you are willing to fly other partner airlines. But also be aware they may slap a Fuel Charge at the airport on you.
If miles are transfered to her account, her account will see a different inventory than HDH .
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:57 am
Suspended

You are very lost..... let me construct some trips for you to illustrate what a round trip is.

Return trip from BKK to JFK:
1)BKK - NRT - JFK - CDG - BKK
2)BKK - NRT - JFK - NRT - BKK
3)BKK - CDG - JFK - NRT - BKK
4)BKK - ICN - JFK - ICN - BKK
5)BKK - BOM - BRU - LHR - JFK - LHR - BRU - BOM - BKK

All of these would price out at 120K miles if you can find the inventory with the correct airline(s) (meaning not just delta). These are off the top of my head.

YMMV.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-holidays.html

try reading up what this guy did as an example.
Itineraries, that combine TATL one way with TPAC the other way, are not priced as a RT award. It becomes RTW. That's what I have been told by DL every time I have tried to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.