Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Newby Gold is begging for Delta expert advice on award ticket to Asia!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newby Gold is begging for Delta expert advice on award ticket to Asia!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Halle8
159K+70K=229K I am sure DH will get 11K before we fly to get 240K total miles. And would extra 50K of miles make a world of difference?

Can you book the award ticket before you get all the miles in your account? (like you can with Marriott).

What happens if we need to change the ticket booked with miles? Judging from all the manipulations of the above referenced poster, it is free?
Assuming you can get J rewards for July '12 on your dates at low 120K (Good Luck) you will need 120K in each account or 240K in one account to book them. You cannot redeem one ticket from multiple SM accounts.
There is a hold period for awards before committing the SM to pay for them, I don't know if that is the case at your Medallion level.

PM and DM level has no fee award flight redeposit privileges up to 72 hours before the flights. It is useful when the award level drops for last minute "sales" or a better schedule/routing comes up.

One way of doing your booking is JFK SIN (open jaw) PVG NRT (stop over) NRT JFK and buy ticket SIN NKG, NKG PVG(train?)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by tentseller
Assuming you can get J rewards for July '12 on your dates at low 120K (Good Luck) you will need 120K in each account or 240K in one account to book them. You cannot redeem one ticket from multiple SM accounts.
There is a hold period for awards before committing the SM to pay for them, I don't know if that is the case at your Medallion level.

PM and DM level has no fee award flight redeposit privileges up to 72 hours before the flights. It is useful when the award level drops for last minute "sales" or a better schedule/routing comes up.

One way of doing your booking is JFK SIN (open jaw) PVG NRT (stop over) NRT JFK and buy ticket SIN NKG, NKG PVG(train?)
You sure she can do an open jaw + stopover?

Been told you can't and pointed towards the rules I posted earlier.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
You sure she can do an open jaw + stopover?

Been told you can't and pointed towards the rules I posted earlier.
I have done it many times.

US NRT MNL/SIN/BKK, HKG NRT, NRT US

But, it has always been with DL only and book on phone with DM/PM line.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 am

I see.... I guess mixing metal doesn't work, which is how I tried. I should try it again and see if it prices out.

Well most of the time, you are paying a premium to book DL metal for award trips though.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 75k

I see.... I guess mixing metal doesn't work, which is how I tried. I should try it again and see if it prices out.

Well most of the time, you are paying a premium to book DL metal for award trips though.
You can mix airlines and do it on-line (for a few partner airlines) but you'd have a difficult time doing both to Asia since DL's main partners there aren't bookable on-line. And you might have to agent shop to get one to let you do an open-jaw and a stopover, although delta.com will usually price it correctly if you can find the flights.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

And it seems that it is all about the miles - having Gold status won't make a bit of difference in this scenario.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of mine were 120k or 180k. Some of the 120k were <7 days departure changed by redepositing the 180k reservation and rebooking on 120k.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
You can mix airlines and do it on-line (for a few partner airlines) but you'd have a difficult time doing both to Asia since DL's main partners there aren't bookable on-line. And you might have to agent shop to get one to let you do an open-jaw and a stopover, although delta.com will usually price it correctly if you can find the flights.
My scenario is slight different because, I am based in Asia and travel to the US. I almost always do my bookings on the phone. I've helped agents find the flights before but it doesn't seem to work with the open jaw + stop over. They always tell me it can be done, but aren't sure how to over-ride it when system prompts them to collect more miles.

Most of mine were 120k or 180k. Some of the 120k were <7 days departure changed by redepositing the 180k reservation and rebooking on 120k.
NICE!^

And it seems that it is all about the miles - having Gold status won't make a bit of difference in this scenario.
It is not about the miles but how you use the miles.

The same dollar will get you further at the Premium Outlets than it would at Saks Fifth for the same piece of clothing.

It is the manner in which you obtain that piece of clothing that differs.

You just need to spend the time and effort to read up the threads a few of us have kindly posted to help you to think about how to plan your trip. You also need to spend hours on the phone with reps.

Case in point: I've never booked a DL award trip 15 months ago, but since then I've constructed several multiple-airlines, multiple-cities bookings all in J and almost always in the low tier.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Nov 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to play with flights.
Whatever scenarios I try to run on Delta's search engine, 90% of the time I get:

Let´s Try That Again
We´re having some trouble completing your request right now. Give it another chance and start over.

If the problem continues, contact us for help.

Message # 7005
And thats even for itineraries where I know there is a Delta flight! GRRRRR.

I did find out that Singapore-Nanjing on China Eastern is only $170 one way, so to simplify the Delta reservation I am thinking open jaw

JFK-SIN -(NKG on a separate, paid with money ticket)- PVG-JFK
That is, what is called open jaw, as I understand from previous posts.

I would have checked if JFK-SIN(stopover)-PVG(3 weeks here)-JFK is even bookable, but Delta is giving me error messages all the time.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:31 pm

I am trying to play with flights.
Whatever scenarios I try to run on Delta's search engine, 90% of the time I get:

And thats even for itineraries where I know there is a Delta flight! GRRRRR.

I did find out that Singapore-Nanjing on China Eastern is only $170 one way, so to simplify the Delta reservation I am thinking open jaw

JFK-SIN -(NKG on a separate, paid with money ticket)- PVG-JFK
That is, what is called open jaw, as I understand from previous posts.

I would have checked if JFK-SIN(stopover)-PVG(3 weeks here)-JFK is even bookable, but Delta is giving me error messages all the time.
Don't play with Delta.dumb.

Phone in.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Too many posts to pick the proper one to reply to, but you can mix all sorts of partners and have a stopover and open jaw on an award ticket. I currently have

FRA-KL-ICN-KL-MEL(open jaw with over three weeks in Australia)SYD-MH-KUL-MH-LHR(nearly four month stopover)-KL-AMS-KL-FRA

Did it on the phone with no problems, 150K with all segments in J but the KL ones (I purposefully picked Y to reduce UK taxes). DL.dumb is lying when it says that your open jaw counts as a stopover. Most likely if you're getting a major weird number of miles when trying a stopover and an open jaw, it's because your open jaw is invalid.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by amolkold
I think for a newbie (since I was one not too long ago), these posts by ThePointsGuy would help out:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/05/delt...nd-low-awards/

http://thepointsguy.com/2010/10/10-t...elta-skymiles/

The problem here is that the online engine only checks DL and the European partners. To go to Asia, only DL Asia flights would show up online. To search their Asian partners, you'd have to call.

This thread has all the 2012 blackout dates for KE (Korean Air), CI (China Airlines), and MU (Malaysia Airlines): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ll-2012-a.html (post #2 is easier to read)

The main thing I can say about Delta awards is that you have to be flexible. You may not find the flights that you absolutely want, but you can still find things. You may have to fly into another Asian city where award availability is good, and then purchase a ticket to your intended destination. Or, you can find good availability from the North American gateway, but may not find a low-level award from your hometown.
Federal Flyer I just got the dates I must be in Nanjing! 9 July to Friday, 27 July, 2012.
That means I'd like to leave NYC 30 June or 1 July (29 June is also possible) and return to NYC 28, 29 or 30 July.

The very ideal itinerary would be

JFK - NRT - SIN (5-6 nights here) - NKG(3 weeks here) - NRT(or whatever) - NYC

JFK-NRT and NRT-SIN are Delta operated flights
SIN-NKG (MU750) is a China Eastern direct flight

but I'm guessing this is way too much to hope for

I am willing to fly whichever way back from Nanjing to NYC. Previous times I went to Shanghai to fly in and out. I'm all right with that. But, of course, if I can avoid that and not pay extra, I'd be happy.

The reason I was considering a stopover in Tokyo is that it may make it easier (and thus less expensive) to get that kind of ticket:

NYC-NRT(stopeover) - PVG - NRT - NYC This should be more possible.

I have to convert points now (because this is the only time that I am booking 7 nights straight in Marriott this year and have a chance to convert miles as 1:1 or better.
So I wonder what is the optimal amount I should convert? 70K, 100K or 120K

I don't want to waste Marriott points by getting more than we need, because MT points are very easy to use. We have great experiences booking hotels awards, it is very easy.

159K+70K=229K I am sure DH will get 11K before we fly to get 240K total miles. And would extra 50K of miles make a world of difference?

Can you book the award ticket before you get all the miles in your account? (like you can with Marriott).

What happens if we need to change the ticket booked with miles? Judging from all the manipulations of the above referenced poster, it is free?
Thanks for posting your dates

Here is what I would suggest
July 2 NYC-KE gateway-ICN-SIN (KE)
July 8 SIN-NKG (MU)
July 30 NKG-PEK
July 30 PEK-SEA-NYC (DL)

The final destination is Singapore with a stop over on the way back in NKG. This is permissible.

July 2nd lets you avoid the KE black out dates. IF JFK-ICN is not available ask for availability from all of the KE North American gateways. Hopefully you can get two seats.

July 30th is available PEK-SEA for 1 seat, but you mentioned the two of you don't necessarily have to fly back together.

You may need to fly economy on the domestic legs.

The tricky part is getting from NKG-PEK. You may need to purchase this separately on a chinese carrier.

Let us know how it turns out. Also look into SEA-PEK on the outbound. There is lots of availability for one seat.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by reed2x
Thanks for posting your dates

Here is what I would suggest
July 8 SIN-NKG (MU)
July 30 NKG-PEK
July 30 PEK-SEA-NYC (DL)

The final destination is Singapore with a stop over on the way back in NKG. This is permissible.

July 2nd lets you avoid the KE black out dates. IF JFK-ICN is not available ask for availability from all of the KE North American gateways. Hopefully you can get two seats.

You'll have to call to check KE availability, but I was also looking for JFK-ICN availability on KE and could not find two seats in July non-blackout dates. However, LAX-ICN was wide open. So, maybe go from NYC-LAX-ICN.

Intra-Asia travel is easy on partners although fees are pricey.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Reed2x, thank you very much for your interesting suggestion.

The way there sounds great, if I can get it.
July 8 SIN-NKG (MU)
It was said that KE is lovely, especially in first class.

And SIN would be considered my final destination, even though I'd only be staying 5 nights, and Nanjing (where I'm staying 3 weeks is a stopover)?

You guys are really much more helpful than delta.com This is a transcript of an online chat I just had. (I substituted my name for "Me"). I felt like I was talking to Siri, not to a person that actually read my question. Or I don't know anymore, maybe it was me that was crazily unclear. *sigh*:

Rachel Bell has entered the session.
Me: Good afternoon, I have a question: can I book award trip before I have enough miles in my account? (I'm going to convert Marriott points to miles, so I know I will have enough later, but I want to secure my seats earlier). I just made Gold medalion, if that matters.
Rachel Bell: Hi (my name here)!
Rachel Bell: Good afternoon!
Rachel Bell: May I have your SkyMiles account number?
Rachel Bell: I appreciate your Medallion loyalty to Delta.
Me: I don't have it with me, it is just a general question at this point, as it affects how many miles I need to transfer.

Rachel Bell: The minimum miles required for award round trip reservation for domestic travel is 25000 miles.
It may vary from 25,000 miles to 90,000 miles based on cabin, dates and seats availability.
However, you will be able to see the exact number of miles required when you select the flights.
Rachel Bell: If you do not have the desired number of miles, you may consider the option of buying miles
to cover the cost of the ticket. In order to do so, please refer to the link below:
http://dn.delta.com/skymiles/purchas...ng=en&part=BUY

Me: I don't have enough points now, but I know I will have a lot more later on.
Me: My question was, can I book the ticket and pay with miles a little later (other reward programs, such as Marriott let me do that). I don't want to buy miles.

Me: And to clarify my previous question. Say I need 240K to book a flight. I have 160K in the account now and will convert 100K from Marriott points. But I don't have them in my account this week (it may take 6 weeks or more) Can I book a flight now anyway if I know I will have enough miles by the time I fly?

Rachel Bell: In order to convert your partner points, please click on the link:
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp
Rachel Bell: Can I help you with anything else today?

Me: I know how to do it. That was not my question. My question was "can I book the award flight before the miles are in my account? As long as I know I will have enough miles by the time I fly.

Rachel Bell: I'm sorry but I need to end this chat as I am not getting a response. Please get back to us with any further questions.
Thank you for choosing Delta, you have a great day.
Rachel Bell has exited the session.
Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Ask about holding an award while you transfer the points. I think you can find an agent will do that for you. I know I've had an award on hold while they waited for a partner to confirm space, and then I clicked the button to book it online. I could swear I've read someone report that needing points to transfer is one of the few instances where DL will hold an award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.