Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian launches HNL-JFK on A332 beginning in June

Old Nov 16, 11, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat

http://airlineroute.net/2011/11/16/ha-hnljfk-jun12/

So, it seems you can earn miles (but not MQM) on HA. And their equipment has 18F/276Y where their F is a pretty standard domestic F type product.

Seems that JFK HNL hasn't been operated by anyone in some time, but I would have to imagine there's lots of demand..
Old Nov 16, 11, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by stevekstevek View Post
Seems that JFK HNL hasn't been operated by anyone in some time, but I would have to imagine there's lots of demand..
As someone that has lived on the East and West Coast, I find that demand may not be there. While there are someone people that do go to Hawaii, many on the East Coast would rather head south to the Caribbean. Same with those on the left coast, they head to Hawaii instead of the Caribbean.
Also, 10 hours on HA's tightly configured A330s is going to be miserable.
Old Nov 16, 11, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
I rather would fly non stop from NYC to HNL than to connect.
Old Nov 16, 11, 3:59 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Just under 5000 miles great-circle. That's about 9.5 hours no-wind at mach 0.8. I could think of worse ways to spend 9.5 hours in the air.
Old Nov 16, 11, 4:12 pm

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by LADELTA777 View Post
I rather would fly non stop from NYC to HNL than to connect.
Agree. I'm tired of having to connect. But if I can't get MQMs, I'm still likely to stick with DL (and their lame planes from the West Coast to the islands). ATL is often not available, and only goes to HNL, which is a double connect from NYC to the Neighbor Islands.
Old Nov 16, 11, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Basically standard F for 10 hours? No thanks, I'd rather go through ATL and try to get BE on the 330.
Old Nov 16, 11, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Doubt they can compete against CO's 767 service from EWR. Bad BF is still better than HA F. On the upside the fares are likely going to drop
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
http://airlineroute.net/2011/11/16/ha-hnljfk-jun12/

So, it seems you can earn miles (but not MQM) on HA.
Am I missing something? I thought you could only earn SMs on HA inter-island routes plus select Hawaii-Pacific rim routes.

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#HA
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by johnslloyd View Post
Just under 5000 miles great-circle. That's about 9.5 hours no-wind at mach 0.8. I could think of worse ways to spend 9.5 hours in the air.
DL 767-300 in coach, with broken seat recline and traytables, stuffing coming out of seats, trim falling off the walls, with a bonus: high chance of MX delay or cancellation.
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Wonder will DL copy HA here (DL did HNL-FUK, so did HA; DL had HNL-KIX, so did HA..) and announce its own HNL-JFK shortly thereafter. The demand is there, for the BE cabin lots of business travellers on this route.
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there was "lots of demand," willing to pay profitable fares, don'tcha think that UA or AA or DL would already be flying JFK-HNL?
Old Nov 16, 11, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Just route through LAX or ATL. No need for DL to run 3 planes (necessary for daily schedule) for a leisure route.
Old Nov 16, 11, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
DL 767-300 in coach, with broken seat recline and traytables, stuffing coming out of seats, trim falling off the walls, with a bonus: high chance of MX delay or cancellation.
That is so true, I just flew HNL-LAX last week, sitting on 11A, gf was on 11b, gf does not like exit row, both seat had broken recliners.
Old Nov 16, 11, 7:49 pm

I dont understand the logic behind HNL being a leisure destination therefore they get the worse planes.

I flown LAX-HNL 8 times in the last 12 months, and everytime J is full with paying customer at about 1800 a pop, coach is all full at an average of 350.00 per seat, and lots of cargo.
Old Nov 16, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
Am I missing something? I thought you could only earn SMs on HA inter-island routes plus select Hawaii-Pacific rim routes.

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#HA
You're correct. No miles earned on this HA flight (or any other mainland flight).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: