FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   1500 MQM for renewing Sky Club membership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1280366-1500-mqm-renewing-sky-club-membership.html)

gb88 Nov 15, 2011 4:54 pm

1500 MQM for renewing Sky Club membership

I typically use my FF miles to renew my Sky Club membership each year. With gold status, it's not that many miles, and I have plenty to spare. However, Delta has just offered 1500 MQM's (or 2 free months) for a new or renewed membership. The problem - it cost $350. I went ahead and paid the $350 thinking that this would put me ahead when my miles rolled over to 2012. Was this a smart decision or will I regret spending the $350???? I will also get double miles (700 miles) on my AMEX for this Delta purchase.

Oakshadow Nov 15, 2011 5:01 pm

The rules of the promotion do not say anything about excluding this promotion to those renewing membership with miles. However at least one person reported on FT that they couldn't get either of the promotion benefits when renewing with miles online...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...promotion.html

I would like to know the result of someone trying to renew with miles and taking advantage of this promotion at a SC.

mikehillwig Nov 15, 2011 5:14 pm

I took this promotion and got a little bit of a shock when I looked at my SM account. I did indeed get MQMs, but I didn't get any standard miles with it.

I thought this would give me standard miles in addition to the MQMs. Nope. Just the MQMs.

gb88 Nov 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Miles were not an option

When I linked to the promotion from the e-mail advertising it, the only option for renewing my Sky Club membership was with a fee. Miles were not an option. I did this last week. The MQM miles have not yet posted to my account.

gb88 Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

How long did it take for the MQM's to post to your account from the time that you renewed your account?

mikehillwig Nov 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by gb88 (Post 17456818)
How long did it take for the MQM's to post to your account from the time that you renewed your account?

They posted almost immediately.

gb88 Nov 17, 2011 7:06 pm

MQM's were posted!

You're right, the MQM's posted to my account. However, they did not add to the total number of regular FF miles. That was strange. I assume that they will count as rollover MQM's for 2012. I'm counting on that!!!!!!!!

Seabilly Nov 17, 2011 7:29 pm

They may be posting immediately for renewing memberships, but I signed up first time yesterday morning and they told me it would take up to 14 days. It is showing up in my account as "MQMs Requested" but not there yet.

gb88 Nov 17, 2011 7:33 pm

It actually took a full week to post, even though I was just renewing my Sky Club membership. Be patient - the MQM's will appear soon.

Seabilly Nov 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by gb88 (Post 17471742)
It actually took a full week to post, even though I was just renewing my Sky Club membership. Be patient - the MQM's will appear soon.

LOL, just giving a counter to the comments saying it posted almost immediately. These MQMs I can wait on. The ones from my KLM flight last Friday that are due to post NLT tomorrow and will put me over to DM for the first time, well, those I may not be as patient on :)

mnredfox Nov 17, 2011 10:55 pm

This type of deal only goes to inflate the elite ranks more and then make the SC's more crowded....

Spiff Nov 18, 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 17472616)
This type of deal only goes to inflate the elite ranks more and then make the SC's more crowded....

Should Delta stop selling SkyClub memberships?

And how many more elites is 1500 MQM going to mint?

DlFlyGirl Nov 19, 2011 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 17473412)
Should Delta stop selling SkyClub memberships?

And how many more elites is 1500 MQM going to mint?

I am in E concourse Sky Club early on Sat morning of Thanksgiving weekend, and though it seems things have calmed slightly, it was pandemonium whenI arrived. SRO, a lineup of strollers...could not find a single seat as a solo traveler. Been following the discussion on this (search feature doesn't work on my phone, so I can't add to that thread until I find it again...but this is absurd. Had membership last year as Diamond, and paid for it this year. Never again...the changes (downgrades, overcrowding) in the past 6 months since I paid are appallin. Not sure what I suggest they do - create family club locations adjacent to non- family? Limit entry once a club is obviously overfilled? Create different tiers of clubs for different tiers of membership? Not my call to make, but in calculating value of a membership, entirely different calculation than it was even six mo the ago. Crazy.

gb88 Nov 19, 2011 7:37 am

I agree that some of the Sky Clubs are incredibly crowded. I feel the worst of the Clubs are in Atlanta, although they are beginning to renovate them on some of the concourses. In other airports (Detroit, Orlando, Minneapolis), the Sky Clubs are spacious, offer more food options and have no problems with crowding and no available seating.