Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Concourse F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
8 showers in the new SC is a huge improvement for ATL.
Delta also plans to add six more showers to the existing two at the E14 Sky Club when it merges the E14 and E15 clubs in spring 2012. There will be -sixteen total between concourses E and F.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by Autolycus
How will people get from concourse f to the MARTA station?
Hopefully in a Porsche!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Hopefully in a Porsche!
LOL... that'd be nice.

I'm not really keen on the thought of a shuttle bus. I figure it'll be a 5-10 minute wait plus at least 10 minutes to actually get around Loop Rd. to the ground transportation area. That's getting to be a big PITA and starts to kill any benefit a lot people traveling to ATL might otherwise get from the new terminal. I assume at least the off-site parking people will be smart enough to pick up and drop off at the new terminal's front door, so it won't be too much worse for people using them. It sounds like it'll be no more convenient to get to MARTA or the rental car facility than it is now with the rechecking of bags. At least with the recheck and using the automated people mover you don't have to haul your luggage out onto the street, load it in a shuttle, ride the shuttle for 10 minutes, unload luggage, haul back into the terminal . . . Surely there's a better way it could have been set up. I guess costs would have been an issue with anything much more elegant. sigh
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by sky303
Great pictures, thanks for the update. Interesting (at least to me) that they'll be using E for the A380 and not the new F terminal. Excited to use it next year, and it's opening just in time for a nice trip next summer.
The reason, as they explained it to us, is that the tarmac space around Concourse F is limited for several reasons, including the Gate Gourmet facility, so turning anything around will require a significant push-back, and would have been unworkable for the 380.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by meh130
How will this change DL international departures originating in ATL and DL international arrivals into ATL?

It sounds like there will be a DL check-in at F, and DL will use F gates (originally I heard the plan was for non-SkyTeam airlines to use F, and SkyTeam to use E).

Also, it sounds like the immigration and customs faciliites currently in E are moving to facilities in F. If one is exiting from the main terminal building, that is even more of a haul from F to the main terminal than it was from E.
You will be able to check in for flights at either the main terminal or at F, unless something changes on that front.

Delta will have six (of the 12) dedicated gates on F, and will be using both E & F for international flights. Surprisingly, they only have two dedicated gates on E. Another interesting tidbit is that the gates will be numbered 1 through 10, 12 and 14 (no eleven or thirteen).

There will be passport control/customs in both E & F, but if Atlanta is your final destination, you will have to clear passport/customs in F. Of course, you would want to anyway, because then you won't have to go through security screening and the dreaded baggage re-check.^^^ You go through passport control, collect your bags, go through customs, then turn right, and exit the airport. Those connecting will turn left and go to re-check desks, and then either take the long walkway or the train to their connecting concourse. The distance from F to T, via the walkway, will be 1.2 miles, or a little under 2 kilometers!

Last edited by atl runner; Nov 16, 2011 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I live in London, and LHR is my home airport. There are no exit checks in the UK. The UK is not part of the Schengen zone, so we're not subject to exit checks like most Schengen countries. (Apparently not all of them have exit checks, since I've flown out of Spain without getting an exit stamp or passport check.) Occasionally, the UKBA will set up random exit checks at the airports. I encountered one last month at LHR T4. However, the agent barely looked at my photo page. She saw a zillion UK stamps and just waved me on without even finding my visa. Normally, you just get your BP scanned and proceed to security without needing to produce a passport until you get to the gate to board. Sounds like you might have encountered one of the random checkpoints at T5, as it's definitely not part of the standard protocol at any airport or any terminal. Even when taking the Eurostar to Paris, you just get checked by the French Border Patrol at St. Pancras. On the return, you get stamped out by the French and then the UKBA stamps you into the UK at a counter about 10 feet behind.
So the inspection you encounter right before clearing security at T5 is simply a boarding pass check, and not an immigration checkpoint? You learn something every day. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by 14940674
So the inspection you encounter right before clearing security at T5 is simply a boarding pass check, and not an immigration checkpoint? You learn something every day. Thanks.
Yes, and at T5 it's part of BA's "conformance" (or something like that) scheme that requires you to clear that stage some number of minutes (I think it's 35) before scheduled departure. I don't think the carriers at the other terminals have such a scheme in place, but at T5, BA will offload you if your BP isn't scanned at that pre-security checkpoint at the cut-off time.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by atl runner
Delta will have six (of the 12) dedicated gates on F, and will be using both E & F for international flights. Surprisingly, they only have two dedicated gates on E. Another interesting tidbit is that the gates will be numbered 1 through 10, 12 and 14 (no eleven or thirteen).
So who gets the other 6? There's only 6 international airlines in ATL anyway, and since 3 of those are Skyteam, seems unnecessary to waste a whole gate dedicated just to each of them. And will DL continue to use T for some international flights (departures)?

I always wondered why E seems semi-abandoned at certain times of day, and yet A, B, and C are always a crush of people with planes having to wait for gates to open or ramp to clear for pushback all the time. Curious why they didn't spread more of that domestic capacity out to E in the first place.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ssk1127
So who gets the other 6? There's only 6 international airlines in ATL anyway, and since 3 of those are Skyteam, seems unnecessary to waste a whole gate dedicated just to each of them. And will DL continue to use T for some international flights (departures)?

I always wondered why E seems semi-abandoned at certain times of day, and yet A, B, and C are always a crush of people with planes having to wait for gates to open or ramp to clear for pushback all the time. Curious why they didn't spread more of that domestic capacity out to E in the first place.
I don't think the other six on F are dedicated to any other airline--they just aren't to Delta. So the non-dedicated six may have Delta flights at times or other airlines, or a combo thereof.

All international flights will depart out of F or E, unless space is not available, and then T or others might be used.

Using E for domestic makes connections out of T, A, B a little more problematic, and if there are delays in departures from E, it screws up arriving international flights (we've all experienced the frustration of that where you can't get to a gate after a nine hour flight because some goofy RJ is sitting in it).
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So who gets the other 6?
LUV's Airtran announced a couple of new international routes this week:

FauxNews:
Southwest’s Airtran Adds New International Routes
Published November 14, 2011

I would think LUV service between ATL and MEX would do very well. (Suburban Atlanta is home to the Consulado General de Mexico en Atlanta.)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Originally Posted by silverthief2
Looks great. The check-in areas remind me a bit of the recently-finished T2 at RDU, especially the views overlooking the ramp.
The new International terminal and the Concourse F facility have extensive use of glass and features natural lighting throughout which is very much like T2 at RDU. This new design is a great improvement over the rest of the ATL Airport facility. If you are a "plane watcher" you are going to really enjoy the new Terminal and Concourse.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Shuttle busses will connect the new terminal with the existing transport facilites.

What I do not know is if they will have some direct/fast path though the airport, or will they circle around on the city streets (which would be bad).

EDIT: I hope you would have the re-check/re-screen option if desired.
Yes, if you choose to re-check/re-screen from an International Flight on E or F you can do so.

How will this change DL international departures originating in ATL and DL international arrivals into ATL?

It sounds like there will be a DL check-in at F, and DL will use F gates (originally I heard the plan was for non-SkyTeam airlines to use F, and SkyTeam to use E).

Also, it sounds like the immigration and customs faciliites currently in E are moving to facilities in F. If one is exiting from the main terminal building, that is even more of a haul from F to the main terminal than it was from E.

If the various park-and-ride operators also pick up from F, it will be less of a problem.
All International Flights will Arrive and Depart out of either Concourse E or F. You will be able to check-in for both International and Domestic flights in either the current Terminal or the new International Terminal.

The ATL Airport will have Customs and Border Protection in BOTH Concourse E & F. As atlrunner explained, if you are an ATLANTA arriving passenger, and you don't want to go through a baggage re-check and TSA Security screening, you will want to clear Customs and Border Protection in Concourse F. For those of us that are Atlanta based passengers, I can hardly wait for this improvement!^

Note the specific signs below directing Atlanta Passengers to the facilities in Concourse F.

I am not sure what the plan for off-airport parking, hotel and other transportation is relative to Concourse F, but I can find out at some point.

Honestly, it would have been better if ATL had created a large customs hall underneath the main terminal, and as international traffic grew beyond the T concourse's capacity, turned concourse A into an international concourse and put sterile underground walkways between A and the main concourse.

But hindsight is 20/20.
Sounds much easier in theory than in reality. There is a MASSIVE multi-million dollar baggage sorting facility under the main terminal that would make that plan very difficult if not impossible. Hmmm... That would be a interesting future post... want to see how you bag is routed in ATL to and from the over 200 gates? A day in the life of a bag in Atlanta, hmmm...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atldlff
The new International terminal and the Concourse F facility have extensive use of glass and features natural lighting throughout which is very much like T2 at RDU.

I'm sure having extensive "natural lighting" will work great in ATL, even during July and August.... what could possibly go wrong?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I think there are currently domestic flights that come/go from E. Maybe that's the use of aircraft that have arrived from, or are continuing on to international destinations? Or overflow as you suggest. And as others have said, International flights currently depart from almost all of the other concourses (think RJs that go to Canada or the Bahamas, for example).

This is just a guess, but since the E gates are managed by the city, and thus don't have DL branding or GIDS, maybe it's less desirable for them to use those gates more frequently if they don't have to. 'Managed' may not be the right term here, but in other words they aren't DL-exclusive gates so they don't have DL technology, if that makes sense.

Personally I'm thrilled that we'll be able to leave directly from F in the future. But I think there are still some kinks to work out and hassles that will ensue, such as the shuttles required to MARTA & off-site parking (two things that will impact my own travel).

Thanks OP for the pictures!

Last edited by PRWeezer; Nov 16, 2011 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MilesFreak08
This construction has been a long time coming. Looking forward to strolling through the terminal.
Yeah, me too! I can't wait!!! Looking so good!! I can't wait go back to ATL again. I haven't gone travel through ATL for a long time. I can't wait to be completely new terminal F.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Canarsie
There are plenty more photographs where that came from...

...and either atldlff or I will post them here.
You got it, dudes! I want to see more picture!!! ^^^^ I need them! I want to see it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.