Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Went through Seattle yesterday with a 90 minute connection. Due to a runway being under repairs, I missed my connection. We were held on the ground at PDX for 50 minutes. I landed as my other flight departed. Then to add insult to injury, we had to get in the line of 13 panes to taxi back which took another 25 minutes.

Do not assume you will have time.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
As you can see, tomorrow will be a crapshoot, but it's certainly doable in half an hour. Since it's more likely your luggage will make it, you may want to consider packing more into your checked luggage and having less carry on to drag through the airport if you are on the run. Depends on what you need at your destination.

For more fun reading, here is the Seattle connection time thread:
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Canada really is not international for air travel purposes. You usually clear customs in both directions on the Canadian side. I had short tight connection flights via SEA, but usually the gates were close so no issues. Finally, Delta schedules extra time for flights usually you come in early.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Went through Seattle yesterday with a 90 minute connection. Due to a runway being under repairs, I missed my connection. We were held on the ground at PDX for 50 minutes. I landed as my other flight departed. Then to add insult to injury, we had to get in the line of 13 panes to taxi back which took another 25 minutes.

Do not assume you will have time.
This shouldn't be an issue at 8pm at night. I'm guessing this was during the 11am bank.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by manually
Canada really is not international for air travel purposes. You usually clear customs in both directions on the Canadian side. I had short tight connection flights via SEA, but usually the gates were close so no issues. Finally, Delta schedules extra time for flights usually you come in early.
What? It very much is international. Same laws and security rules apply for Canada as for UK. Positive bag matching happens, etc... On return you even must show your passport or Nexus card at gate. This despite already clearing US CBP before getting to the gate.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What? It very much is international. Same laws and security rules apply for Canada as for UK. Positive bag matching happens, etc... On return you even must show your passport or Nexus card at gate. This despite already clearing US CBP before getting to the gate.
You have to show your passport at SEA gate when going to Canada (major cities). Everything else pretty well the same at gate compared to domestic flight.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by manually
You have to show your passport at SEA gate when going to Canada (major cities). Everything else pretty well the same at gate compared to domestic flight.
Of course you show it when going to Canada. It doesnt matter which city. It's an international flight. This was the whole point of my post. Not sure what yiur last sentence means. Departing the US, the only difference between domestic and international is the passport check.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:23 pm

Bought an Air France ticket Paris to Seattle to San Francisco Air France to Delta. 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Did I make a mistake of having a tight connection?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Bought an Air France ticket Paris to Seattle to San Francisco Air France to Delta. 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Did I make a mistake of having a tight connection?
Are you US/CANADIAN citizen or visa waiver and have entered using your ESTA before? If yes, then should be no issues. Also DL operates multiple frequencies to SFO daily. Should be no issue getting rebooked on the off chance flight is late.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL
I rebooked to SFO-SEA tonight with a 30 minute layover before SEA-ATL. SFO-SEA is almost certainly going to get delayed. If I end up in SEA without another flight for the night, will they give me a hotel voucher, even though the delay was for weather/ATC issues (SFO is messed up right now)?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
I rebooked to SFO-SEA tonight with a 30 minute layover before SEA-ATL. SFO-SEA is almost certainly going to get delayed. If I end up in SEA without another flight for the night, will they give me a hotel voucher, even though the delay was for weather/ATC issues (SFO is messed up right now)?
WX/ATC I would not count on a hotel voucher (although you might get lucky as a PM if you ask nicely), and in any case, they will likely send you in the right direction at least tonight. Last flight of the night is a 12:40 am flight to MSP and there is always empty seats on the Friday night run. Next challenge is getting from MSP to ATL, but DL will oversell to accommodate a medallion and there is frequent service, so if you need to get to ATL, they will get you there tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Is it too late to reroute on a direct or through LAX?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by pvn
Is it too late to reroute on a direct or through LAX?
I probably can (T-4 hours ish), less MQMs that way though, so this routing would be slightly more ideal. (My final destination is actually CVG; I had booked SFO-SEA-CVG and a delay allowed me to rebook to SFO-SEA-ATL-CVG)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:40 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Well then I guess it's a matter of whether you want the MQMs or to get where you're going faster.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:01 am

YYC-SEA-ANC 47min connection

Hello, when I originally booked YYC-SEA-ANC it was a 65min connection, due to multiple schedule changes it is now 47mins. I understand I clear US customs in YYC so it is a domestic-domestic transfer, but is this realistic? There are two more flights SEA-ANC that day. Am I best off chancing it and assuming they’ll be able to move me onto a later flight if I miss the connection? What about bags? If I make the connection is there much risk my checked bags won’t? Or as a result of the most recent schedule change should I ask them to just move me into the next flight, resulting in a 4:37 wait between flights....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.