Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Thanks guys, more info than I could wish for. I guess it's just no check in luggage, straight to the gate and hope for the best.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kaasschaaf
So if I do miss my connection due to their mistake, they're just going to let me sleep in the airport until the next moring? I don't think it works like that.
Of course they will let you sleep wherever you want (and it is lawful). But, that has nothing to do with whether DL will pay for your hotel room. If you have insurance, submit it to insurance. If not, it's likely on your nickel.

As to luggage, I would opt got less carry-on. If your bag misconnects, it will be on the next flight and will be delivered to you in YEG. Just don't check what you need on arrival.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
(1) the gates that the flights may have used last night are irrelevant for Friday evening
(2) DL operates from Concourses A and B, as well as the South Satellite which you access via underground shuttle train ... leaving S, the first stop is for the A gates, but it's probably better to disembark here for B1 thru B7 as the escalators by the high B gates are a choke point
(3) both SFO and SEA are frequently beset by weather and Air Traffic Control issues ... right now both Friday forecasts look good, but ATC is always a wild card ... if SEA is operating in south flow, likelihood of on-time arrival will go down due to having to fly 30-some miles north of the airport before joining the approach (one of the three runways is also closed for construction, which only further aggravates the situation)
(4) I live in SEA, so I don't have experience with checked baggage making or not making a connecting flight, but I'd speculate that the chances of a bag making a 30-min connection are greater than 90%
(5) about six weeks ago, my son's 845pm arrival landed ~20 min early but blocked in ~10 min late due to late pushback of the previous jet and general ramp congestion

my bottom line to OP would be "Don't check luggage, and don't expect to make the connection"
Pretty good summary - now that summer travel season is over, gate congestion issue is not as bad. The ground delay program due to runway construction seems most impactful to middle of the day flights, especially those on regional jets. DL frequently holds the last flight of the night if you are arriving imminently. Its certainly not a comfortable connection, but you have a high likelihood of making it, but always have a backup plan in place just in case.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:25 pm

I’ve made LAX-YVR connections in Seattle in less time than that without trouble, though I never check bags. The airport isn’t that large and the shuttle runs frequently; I wouldn’t worry too hard about it.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
S gates are an odd for an arrival, never come in there on a domestic flight I don't recall. Not to say it won't, SEA is very over capacity and maybe that is just where an available gate is for the night but I would keep an eye on the gates as your journey progresses

That said if everything is on time, you should be fine.

Last edited by DG206; Sep 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is headed to YEG, not YVR.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Normally it’s not a big deal but with the longest runway down any cloud cover near the airport is going to cause ATC delays. It’s the worst during the 11am and 3pm banks but there is a ripple effect throughout the day. That could also mean your YEG flight is delayed so in the case your inbound is delayed your outbound might be as well. Also with north flow ATC delays are worse compared to south flow. The weather Friday looks good so it may not matter.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
As long as you come into and leave out of A or B, you'll be fine. If both your flights are in the south satellite (S), you're fine. However, transiting between S and the main terminal is a pain because the train system is so slow and inefficient.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:47 pm

(3) both SFO and SEA are frequently beset by weather and Air Traffic Control issues ... right now both Friday forecasts look good, but ATC is always a wild card ... if SEA is operating in south flow, likelihood of on-time arrival will go down due to having to fly 30-some miles north of the airport before joining the approach (one of the three runways is also closed for construction, which only further aggravates the situation)
South flow is normal for SEA. Usually, you come up over Puget Sound and then the turn is made just north of downtown Seattle and you just descend over downtown before you reach the airport. North flow is more likely to cause delays. Usually, I can see Discovery Park if I'm on the left side of the plane. Though, I've seen the turn made just south of downtown, which shortens the final approach distance.

North flow causes delays though I'm not sure why. Someone with more expertise can chime in.

While there is a runway down, there are still two runways and they are both separated enough that this shouldn't be an issue.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Almost all the delays into Seattle are blamed on ATC. Right now there's a runway closure, so you can count on at least one of your flights being late.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
As long as you come into and leave out of A or B, you'll be fine. If both your flights are in the south satellite (S), you're fine. However, transiting between S and the main terminal is a pain
completely true, in either direction

... because the train system is so slow and inefficient.
completely hyperbolic ... yes it would be nice for originating pax if the train ran directly from A to the South Satellite rather than via B, but I’d be interested to know how you would re-architect the airport
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:42 pm

completely hyperbolic ... yes it would be nice for originating pax if the train ran directly from A to the South Satellite rather than via B, but I’d be interested to know how you would re-architect the airport
Firstly, I would change the direction of train. It makes no sense to go that way. Secondly, I would have made the train lines all go in straight lines, so that would mean just connecting A to S and D to N. It allows the trains to go faster since there are no turns. That's why the train system at ATL is much more efficient than SEA.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
I’ve made LAX-YVR connections in Seattle in less time than that without trouble, though I never check bags. The airport isn’t that large and the shuttle runs frequently; I wouldn’t worry too hard about it.
i agree with the above if the arriving flight is reasonably on time. If you are among the first off the plane in the S terminal, it should take about 12-15 min to take the shuttle 2 stops to B, less if departing from one of the main terminal gates.

However, that on time part is iffy. If you misconnect, there is a Crowne Plaza and a mediocre Hilton walkable from the airport trolley station. You just take the elevator down to the street level. There is also a ratty Doubletree that you can catch a curbside shuttle to.

On second thought, being at night, you should probably just take a curbside shuttle to the sad hotel of your choice. If you stay at the Hilton, there is a good old fashioned steak restaurant called Six Coins (or something similar) for dinner.

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 25, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist

North flow causes delays though I'm not sure why. Someone with more expertise can chime in.

While there is a runway down, there are still two runways and they are both separated enough that this shouldn't be an issue.
im not sure about vfr conditions but during ifr a plane can’t takeoff until the plane on approach to 34L has landed. Basically a greatly reduced arrival rate. I’m not sure if anyone remembers last November but it snowed and was in north flow. What a disaster that was.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:15 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
FWIW, while most of the time I've had SFO-SEA flights arrive and leave out of A/B gates, once a while they do arrive and depart from S gates.

I'm not an SEA expert, but it seems to me that because of the construction taking place on the A and S side of the airport, any flights trying to get in and out of the "alley" of A and even-numbered B gates are prone to getting a couple minutes delayed due to congestion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.