Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
When are you going? I would see if you can get on the earlier DTW-SEA flight, gets in around 10:30am. SEA has a great SkyClub and some good places to eat. I don't like cutting it that close on Intl connections. If you miss your flight you are stuck for 24 hours.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Yes I can take a early flight, but delta want to charge me for the travel change(I call them about that this morning).
I think they must not make this type of flight available if the connection is to close.
My actual departure is from Montreal (YUL) the 25 august at 9am to Detroit (DTW) and after to SEA, they have a early departure from Montreal at 6am and also a early connection at Detroit, but I will pay a extra fee for this.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
It meets the Minimum Connection Transfer Time, but I did notice today's DTW-SEA flight was delayed 54 min at takeoff and won't arrive in Seattle till 2:33pm. I always play it safe though. Good rule with Delta is if you don't get what you want at first call back again, or tweet them.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:58 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Looking for some advice. I have a 1:05 QX (domestic) - DL (international) connection this week. QX used to use the C gates which were easy to connect from; now most seem to be in N. I was planning on carry-on/gate check with QX. Given the somewhat short connection should I instead check luggage all the way through to save the time waiting for QX to bring the bags around?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TTT
Looking for some advice. I have a 1:05 QX (domestic) - DL (international) connection this week. QX used to use the C gates which were easy to connect from; now most seem to be in N. I was planning on carry-on/gate check with QX. Given the somewhat short connection should I instead check luggage all the way through to save the time waiting for QX to bring the bags around?
That's more than enough time. Qx flights still run out of C2x mostly and some have transferred to the N gates. Once you're in the north satellite it won't take any more than 15 minutes to get to the south satellite via the train. Honestly I don't think it would take any more time to get to the S gates from N than from C. This is of course assuming you're on time.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:31 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
That's more than enough time. Qx flights still run out of C2x mostly and some have transferred to the N gates. Once you're in the north satellite it won't take any more than 15 minutes to get to the south satellite via the train. Honestly I don't think it would take any more time to get to the S gates from N than from C. This is of course assuming you're on time.
Thanks! My traveling companion and I decided that if we get stuck we would rather be stuck with our luggage.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
Given the somewhat short connection should I instead check luggage all the way through to save the time waiting for QX to bring the bags around?
You should be fine gate checking your bags. In my experience with QX, they are very quick with gate/cart-checked bags, usually 3-4 minutes from when the engines stop. I've even seen the cart rolled forward before the last passenger is off the plane.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
AS -> DL connection time in SEA

I am having trouble booking tickets on the Delta website for a connecting flight to go from SEA to MSP. My itinerary would be an AS flight originating in ALW connecting to Delta in SEA going on to MSP. There is an Alaska flight from ALW arriving in SEA at 7:29 and a Delta flight leaving SEA at 8:25, but the Delta website will only let me select a Delta flight that leaves 4 hours later.

Is 56 minutes considered and illegal connection time in SEA? I'm familiar with the gates and don't think there would be any problem getting from the usual Alaska gates to the Delta gates at the South Satellite. I'm not checking bags and have only a small carry-on.

Is my only option to buy tickets separately from Alaska and Delta and take my chances?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: DL, BA
I'm flying LAX-SEA-PEK in a couple days. Unfortunately, the LAX-SEA leg is on AS so it's not going to get me any bonus miles this time. Anyway, is 1hr enough time to make the connection? I just messaged deltaassist on twitter about it.

edit: Delta tells me 60min is enough to transfer.

Last edited by mrbrad; Nov 19, 2013 at 8:19 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:15 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
You'll be fine if your AS flight is on time. Your DL flight should depart from the S concourse. As soon as you get to SEA, follow the signs and make your way to S. It will require a short train ride. 2 if you are unlucky.

Seems you arrive at SEA at 630pm and depart at 730pm. You can try for the earlier AS flight which arrives at 455pm if you want a bigger cushion.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by travelhive
I am having trouble booking tickets on the Delta website for a connecting flight to go from SEA to MSP. My itinerary would be an AS flight originating in ALW connecting to Delta in SEA going on to MSP. There is an Alaska flight from ALW arriving in SEA at 7:29 and a Delta flight leaving SEA at 8:25, but the Delta website will only let me select a Delta flight that leaves 4 hours later.

Is 56 minutes considered and illegal connection time in SEA? I'm familiar with the gates and don't think there would be any problem getting from the usual Alaska gates to the Delta gates at the South Satellite. I'm not checking bags and have only a small carry-on.

Is my only option to buy tickets separately from Alaska and Delta and take my chances?

try booking on the AS website; they show many DL flights

I think MCT AS-->DL is 40 min
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL, BA
Originally Posted by andymo99
You'll be fine if your AS flight is on time. Your DL flight should depart from the S concourse. As soon as you get to SEA, follow the signs and make your way to S. It will require a short train ride. 2 if you are unlucky.

Seems you arrive at SEA at 630pm and depart at 730pm. You can try for the earlier AS flight which arrives at 455pm if you want a bigger cushion.
I will look at SDC onto the earlier flight at 24hr. Am I allowed to do that on AS flights (DL codeshare)? That'll hopefully give me some time to check out the skyclub as well; have only flown through SEA once.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:03 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
DELTA won't SDC you, but AS might. I have been offered it via online check-in from AS, sometimes for free. If not, it is $25. Easy enough.

Get your AS PNR and check in at their website.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
1:00 connection Intl DL--> Dom DL?

Noticed that Delta is now selling some connecting itineraries from Asia to US via SEA with as little as 1 hour connecting time, e.g.,

DL138 HKG 1000 SEA 0755
DL5805 SEA 0855 SFO 1105

DL198 ICN 1720 SEA 1205
DL5682 SEA 1305 LAX 1544

For those who know SEA FIS better, is that feasible for people without GE and/or those who have bags or non-US citizens? Those markets (HKG-SFO, ICN-LAX) are huge (and competitive) markets and I can understand why DL is trying to minimize the connecting time on those, but 1:00 from international to domestic still looks awfully tight...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
For those who know SEA FIS better, is that feasible for people without GE and/or those who have bags or non-US citizens? Those markets (HKG-SFO, ICN-LAX) are huge (and competitive) markets and I can understand why DL is trying to minimize the connecting time on those, but 1:00 from international to domestic still looks awfully tight...
I would say that's a very optimistic schedule, especially if your LAX or SFO flight is departing from A or B concourses instead of S. If you are in economy down the back of the plane, if you have a checked bag to retrieve (IMO the carousels in international arrivals often don't turn until arrival + :30), or if your inbound is even slightly late, I think you'd have no chance.

I don't connect through SEA as it's my home airport, but for those who do, I guess I'd advise a minimum two-hour layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.