Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:32 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
You should be fine. Hawaiian gets into A and most DL flights leave from S (and a few from A, but not at night I've noticed). Also, the station for the train to the south satellite is easy to get to from A (near the security checkpoint) so 1 hour is easily enough time.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Totally enough time - I would be comfortable with 40 minutes even with the absolute most unfavorable gate assignments in Seattle. You shouldn't even have to run.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by BenA
Totally enough time - I would be comfortable with 40 minutes even with the absolute most unfavorable gate assignments in Seattle. You shouldn't even have to run.
+1

I would guess it (at most!) might take 10 minutes to get off the plane, 10 to make it to gate A3 which is near where the 'train' to the S terminal leaves from, and 10 to make it the rest of the way..... and the second flight might just leave from the A.

One way (obvious) to tell which gate is likely to use it to check flight status.

Bob H
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Overflow for DL (if the S satellite is full) is to move to A or B. I've flown DL out of the B concourse this year already, but never A.

I'm not sure the S satellite is full at night, though, because the international carriers are already gone by then so DL has a lot more gates to use.

As long as the OP is mobile and can move fast the connection time is totally fine.

-RM
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta, UA
Honestly, getting from the S gates to the N gates (opposite ends of the airport), or from D to A, shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes, without running. I would be comfortable with a 40 minute connection.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's not a connection ExpertFlyer or ITA Software offer. I suspect it doesn't meet the Mininum Connect Time (MCT) criterion set for SEA between carriers.
Correct. The MCT (Minimum Connect Time) at SEA from HA to DL domestic-to-domestic is 70 minutes.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton
Originally Posted by mnbp
Correct. The MCT (Minimum Connect Time) at SEA from HA to DL domestic-to-domestic is 70 minutes.
Thanks for the info. I was living in SEA and bought my tix to HNL months ago. Now living in BDL and need to create my own connections to/from the HA flights. I will be arriving day earlier for the SEA-HNL leg. On the return HNL-SEA, I need to continue on to BDL that night and there are few flight options that are late evening. The 11:15pm via DTW was the best option- only if the connecting time is ok.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: DL GM
Is there still an after midnight flight leaving for msp? Maybe that will fit in with MCT?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
1 hr. connection in SEA at Christmas

Coming home from Asia I am considering a route that would be NRT-SEA-MSP. There is only 1 hour in SEA (customs/immigration) to make the MSP connection. Am I just asking for trouble or does this make sense? I save about $300 a ticket doing this routing but don't like big problems at the end of a trip either.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's a reason it's called Minimum Connect Time, not Generous Connect Time, Fail-Safe Connect Time, or Plenty of Time in Typical Seattle Winter Fog Connect Time. if you can live with the prospect of being told the next available flight is in 36 hours due to high holiday travel load factors, go ahead and save $300.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1hr can be tricky on a domestic connection during the winter.
Personally, I would avoid this flight.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Gold
It's likely that an hour in the SEA airport would be fine if not for the immigration/customs issue. The underground tram between main terminal and other satellite terminals is fast and arrives every 4 minutes, and the main terminal itself is relatively compact with respect to accessing various concourses... but I can't speak for the time you'll lose going through customs.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I highly doubt that this is a legal connection. International to domestic are almost always at least 90 minutes, and at places like JFK, they are even longer.
Consider what needs to happen... disembark the plane, passport control, wait for your checked luggage, pass through the Customs agent with your luggage, hand checked luggage back to airline for transfer to the connecting flight, and pass through security to get to your domestic flight.

So my bet is that a one hour connection is less than the MCT International to Domestic at SEA.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:52 am
Suspended

I don't think this would work. Customs would probably take 45 minutes, at best, and could likely take longer if your flight - or other flights - are later and/or early.

You could safely make a very short domestic-to-domestic or domestic-to-international DL connection in SEA since most flights leave from the S gates.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:56 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Is this on Christmas day itself or just sometime around Christmas? Although still tight, I imagine passenger load may be less on the 25th than say the 22nd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.