Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
UA to OZ

Hi all, I'm not familiar with SEA at all. I'll be arriving on UA from SFO on a rj, connecting to OZ international. Schedule layover 1h20m. How does this seem? Is there a train involved? Other choice is a 6am departure to Sea that gives a very long layover that i would prefer to avoid.... Thx for thoughts...
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Hi all, I'm not familiar with SEA at all. I'll be arriving on UA from SFO on a rj, connecting to OZ international. Schedule layover 1h20m. How does this seem? Is there a train involved? Other choice is a 6am departure to Sea that gives a very long layover that i would prefer to avoid.... Thx for thoughts...
1 hr 20 min should be just fine. Usually UA arrives in the higher A gates. Not sure where OZ operates from, but my guess would be S. There’s a quick airside tram. Really it shouldn’t take anymore than 20-30 minutes max to get from the furthest gates to anywhere in SEA. And that’s on the high end. Pre-Covid the concern at SEA was gate availability, but lately that hasn’t been an issue. The only concern I would have with this itinerary is if for some reason you had to claim luggage and recheck in with OZ if things weren’t checked all the way through. Security lines at SEA can back up frequently if they have some closed. But it doesn’t sound like this is the case here. Have a good trip!
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
1 hr 20 min should be just fine. Usually UA arrives in the higher A gates. Not sure where OZ operates from, but my guess would be S. There’s a quick airside tram. Really it shouldn’t take anymore than 20-30 minutes max to get from the furthest gates to anywhere in SEA. And that’s on the high end. Pre-Covid the concern at SEA was gate availability, but lately that hasn’t been an issue. The only concern I would have with this itinerary is if for some reason you had to claim luggage and recheck in with OZ if things weren’t checked all the way through. Security lines at SEA can back up frequently if they have some closed. But it doesn’t sound like this is the case here. Have a good trip!
Thank you! Yes all in one ticket, so no.luggage issues etc..
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
We just booked PRG-CDG(AF)-SEA(AF)-HNL(DL) all in Biz for next June. DL just changed the SEA-HNL leg and now the published connection time is 1hr 15min. We will have checked luggage but since HNL is home if it misses the connection I'm not too worried. The ticket was purchased on AF site.

Is this enough time for us to make the connection in SEA? Do we have to go through TSA again in SEA - we have pre-Check.

Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by inlanikai
We just booked PRG-CDG(AF)-SEA(AF)-HNL(DL) all in Biz for next June. DL just changed the SEA-HNL leg and now the published connection time is 1hr 15min. We will have checked luggage but since HNL is home if it misses the connection I'm not too worried. The ticket was purchased on AF site.

Is this enough time for us to make the connection in SEA? Do we have to go through TSA again in SEA - we have pre-Check.

Thank you!
No one can answer that because everything will be different next June with the new International Arrivals Facility in SEA and no one has tried it yet. But that's ok because you'll have half a dozen more schedule changes between now and then so the question is moot anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 7:18 am

Hi folks, sorry to add to the chorus of timing questions. Wondering whether 70 minutes is enough for an international–international transfer?
I've got a flight booked for January 5th 2022 with Delta, with a connection in Seattle: LHR–SEA (landing 18.05) then SEA–YVR (departing 19.15).
As a Brit I'll be travelling with an ESTA. I'm inclined to think this isn't long enough given additional faff of proving vaccination status + recent covid test?
On a related note, there is a later Delta flight (departing SEA at 21.00) but to rebook with that would add £500 which I'd prefer to avoid if possible. If I stick with my current plan but miss the connection, should I assume Delta will charge me the extra £500 to go on that later flight (assuming that there's space and that I miss the connection due to long queues or whatever, rather than delays to the LHR–SEA flight)?
Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I would keep the flights you have. If you miss the flight to YVR due to slow customs, DL will put you on the later flight for no charge if any seats are available.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I think you'll be fine. Your test result and vaccine paperwork will be checked at LHR, and then again at YVR. There won't be much in the way of covid checking at SEA (US CBP mostly relies on the airlines to do the checks for them). If you do misconnect, you won't be penalized for taking the later flight
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:58 am

Thanks for the advice, both of you. Let's hope it works out..!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
Tight Connection in Seattle

I have 48 min to make my connecting flight in Seattle, is that enough time to make it for those that use that airport frequently? Appreciate the help!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
More info would be appreciated - you doing International + Domestic / Domestic + Domestic?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
More info would be appreciated - you doing International + Domestic / Domestic + Domestic?
Good point, domestic+domestic. Incoming flight from EUG and will be going to SNA
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a 42-minute connection yesterday on FAI-SEA-DTW (made possible by extra hour from Daylight Savings Time change) and made it without having to run (although I just missed my C+ boarding zone). Was fortunate that both flights were in concourse A, but having to go from A1 to A13 was still quite a hike. As in most cases, I'd look at the possible backup options and if they are acceptable to you before deciding to go with a shorter connection. It looks like SEA-SNA flight can sometimes use Satellite S gates which can make connections more challenging as you will need to take train out to S gates.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 8, 2021 at 9:32 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pokerloser949
Good point, domestic+domestic. Incoming flight from EUG and will be going to SNA
Looking at the Flight Schedules today, I'm not seeing any 48 min connections in SEA for EUG-SEA-SNA. I show a 1:10 departure from EUG arrive in SNA at 5:53 PM, with a 1 hr 1 min layover in SEA. Then I show a 5:21 PM departure from EUG, arriving in SNA at 9:59 PM, with a 43 min layover in SEA.
If you arrive on time, 43 min is enough time. The earlier options shows EUG-SEA arriving at A2 and SEA-SNA departing from A1. If that holds true, you could even make a 15 min connection. The later option shows EUG-SEA arriving at A2 and SEA-SNA departing from A3. But it's also too early for this gate info to be reliable. If you have to go between the S Gates or a far end B gate to a high number A gate, then 43 minutes could be a little tight if you're not a fast walker but it's still "doable."
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
SEA-SNA may also go out of a mid B gate (7 or 9, not sure if DL uses B11), which would be even more of a slog from the high As ... of course on day of OP's flight, the EUG-SEA jet will make up SEA-SNA so this entire discussion will be moot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.