Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main SC at DTW To Be "Modernized"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Well, the Ikea in Canton should be getting a nice sale...that crap looks like the assemble yourself furniture from Ikea. Their new "mixologists" are a joke. Some spiked-hair fool in Seattle was loud, obnoxious, walked around the club loudly conversing with everyone, and generally made it unpleasant for everyone. I am sure this is what we have to look forward to in DTW. Sad...the class of the clubs is now completely gone. Wasn't that far to fall with the trash they let in.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Well, the Ikea in Canton should be getting a nice sale...that crap looks like the assemble yourself furniture from Ikea. Their new "mixologists" are a joke. Some spiked-hair fool in Seattle was loud, obnoxious, walked around the club loudly conversing with everyone, and generally made it unpleasant for everyone. I am sure this is what we have to look forward to in DTW. Sad...the class of the clubs is now completely gone. Wasn't that far to fall with the trash they let in.
I HATE those high top bar tables they have put in by the bar in the main SC in DTW. I hope that isn't a sign of how the other "renovations" will be going there. And can you imagine the wait to get a drink in the main club once they have a bartender?

I just hope they keep the north and south clubs as they are. There have been times this year where I have been flying out of a center gate and will go to an end club just to escape the chaos at the main club if it's a 6 or 7 p.m. flight.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I HATE those high top bar tables they have put in by the bar in the main SC in DTW. I hope that isn't a sign of how the other "renovations" will be going there. And can you imagine the wait to get a drink in the main club once they have a bartender?

I just hope they keep the north and south clubs as they are. There have been times this year where I have been flying out of a center gate and will go to an end club just to escape the chaos at the main club if it's a 6 or 7 p.m. flight.
The other clubs will be going under the knife (or, hatchet, if you prefer) also.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The other clubs will be going under the knife (or, hatchet, if you prefer) also.
Sadly, for every one of us here bemoaning the expected loss of the comfort of this club, there is someone else out there applauding it.

And the folks in Atlanta want so badly to be "hip" like Virgin, they'll copy it, but they won't copy any of the GOOD things.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by BenA
My understanding is that it was Target Commercial Interiors.

[/url]
Oh, oh -- if that's true doesn't that mean some people in the MSP area are involved -- think Target Center and the old Dayton Co (from the pre Marshall Field's/Macy's era).

<lol>

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Nov 21, 2011 at 8:26 am
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:44 am

The whole point of a SkyClub, in my mind, is to differentiate it from the typical airport experience.

The current DTW SCs provide a totally different look and ambiance than the rest of the Airport. And I'm not knocking the DTW terminal, which is one of my favorite anywhere.

The difference between the club and the general terminal area should be a night vs. day distinction. Turning the SCs into the hospital operating room theme doesn't help achieve that goal.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Yes u nfortunately I am sure they will. Once it happens it would be nice if Delta would refund the remaining months of a SC membership if someone wants to drop out of the SC due to all the changes.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Turning the SCs into the hospital operating room theme doesn't help achieve that goal.
Well to be fair, most of them are located in sterile parts of the airport...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Sabai
Well to be fair, most of them are located in sterile parts of the airport...
LOL!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
walletectomies

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Turning the SCs into the hospital operating room . . .
with the "mixologists" performing walletectomies.

The DTW clubs used to win awards as some of the best U.S. clubs on any airline. Any guesses when that'll happen again?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:05 pm

Agree with everyone else that the current SkyClub design sucks...the layout is like one large cafeteria with no privacy and cheap furniture.

Did you know? Target is behind the design. Helps explain the cheap attempt and being chic. It's a business design/furniture division of Target that came up with the original design(s).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:29 pm
Suspended

They are focused on freeing up floor space for more chairs so they can pack in more AMEX $25 admissions and more installment plan members.
Several posters have made similar comments.

I bet the "real" first class fare paying passengers made similar comments when people started upgrading from Y to F with miles... then coupons... then complimentary upgrades. William, look there's another fat, bald, obnoxiously loud IT consultant.

Also consider the degradation of F service over the years... think about the potential parallel to the Sky Clubs... double wides with picnic tables and catering by the Piggly Wiggly.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Thousands and thousands of $25 daily admissions and vast hordes of new members who have to dig down between the couch cushions looking for quarters so that they can find their $29.99 monthly installment payment.

Alternately, envision a punk rock concert mosh pit. When the clubs are that crowded and noisy, management will be satisfied.
====================================
Edited to add illustration:

The fellow on the right, seemingly walking on the shoulders of the crowd, is trying to make his way to the bar.

The fellow on the left, with his feet up in the air, believes he has seen an unused power receptacle and is making a dive for it.

The other fellow who is feet up in the air in the middle of the picture saw the same receptacle and it trying to get there first.
ROFL. Post of the day/week/month.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am seeing visions of B10 coming to these clubs
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I am seeing visions of B10 coming to these clubs
What's the difference between B10 and a Greyhound bus station?

At the Greyhound station the dispatcher announces the departures over the PA system.

<rim shot and cymbals> "Thank you. You've been a great audience. Catch the 10 o'clock show."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.