Wiki Posts
Search

Main SC at DTW To Be "Modernized"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by javabytes
^

I'm not a fan of the new SC look at all. The blue neon, etc., all the Jetsons-looking furniture... I guess rather than the warm, comfortable and relaxing feel, they're going for hip and in, which I suppose aligns with the premium liquors at nightclub prices they've started rolling out too. (For many reasons, I think the SCs are in somewhat of an identity crisis at the moment.) The design and feel of the CRCs was probably NW's greatest accomplishment (I say this as a PM-DL'er), and it'll be sad to watch it get chipped away over time.
I totally agree! I love connecting at DTW because of the SkyClubs there, but since the merger, there are fewer connecting flights options there for me. I'm often forced to do so at ATL. I like everything about the DTW club - the separate areas to escape an occasionally noisy person, no bartender, the warmth of a fireplace, and cubicles that allow me to be more productive.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
I like everything about the DTW club - the separate areas to escape an occasionally noisy person, no bartender, the warmth of a fireplace, and cubicles that allow me to be more productive.
I'd love my house to look just like the DTW SkyClubs.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Count me as another person who loves the current DTW club and hates the look and feel of the "new" clubs.

Will this leave MEM as the only non-plastic SkyClub?
Until it gets the full Goober treatment; at that point Delta's alliance with Formica will be as seamless as it is with the other leading plastic - Amex.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Sabai
Until it gets the full Goober treatment; at that point Delta's alliance with Formica will be as seamless as it is with the other leading plastic - Amex.
ROFL ^
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
These new DL clubs are designed to the tastes of 30-something stylin' marketing guys in Atlanta, dreaming of trashy nights in Vegas or Miami. How long before they start pumping up the music? There may be a near perfect negative correlation with the tastes of those actually buying full-fare tickets. Those newer NW clubs were one thing I wished DL would have adopted.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Hello bartender.....
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I found this part of the freep article interesting:

Metro Airport's Sky Clubs open at 5:30 a.m., when the first flights start and close when the last flight leaves, usually about 11:15 p.m. "But if there are delays, we stay," Harvey says. "If we have a flight that's not going until 2 in the morning, then the club stays open until 2 in the morning

Since when has the SC stayed open late if flights are delayed?????????
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I HATE THE STYLE OF THE NEWLY REMODELED CLUBS.... DO NOT DO THIS TO DTW!!!!!

I do not like the "new" F/G club in MSP or the newly remodeld club in ATL. Frankly, they stink!

The DTW clubs are pretty good as they are. I do not like the funky, open-style, blue-light special, IKEA-like, gutted out clubs.

I knew this day was coming, but I do not want it to happen.

For that matter, I'm 30 years old, and have had a SC membership for 4 years. I am not going to renew this year I do not think. With the club over-crowding, and the gutting out, cheapening, and degredation of ambiance in teh clubs, I think I am done.

I really am not sure what DL is trying to accomplish with their Skyclubs???? Does anyone????
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I hope they do not go with that blue light thing they did at the ATL clubs and the bad "modern" furniture. I think the DTW club is one of the last SCs that actually has a business/Parlor feel. I like "modern" in my night clubs and restaurants. An Airport "club" should have a more sedate old school atmosphere. Bookcases, lamps, wood, etc. Having separate rooms with comfy Chairs is one of the best parts of the DTW club. I hope "open it up" does not mean make it one big room.
I detest the "new" look. Whoever came up with this design??? I agree, the parlor look and feel is much more soothing and a much nicer feel for those of us who spend way too much time in airports and airplanes. Hate the new clubs at ATL and the new club at the F/G concourse junction at MSP is ice cold in its feel and appearance. Thankfully the C concourse club remains unchanged but for how long? The "main" club at DTW is often a zoo so I tend to use the smaller clubs there and I hope to hell they escape the wreckovation!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Originally Posted by Buckshot
I detest the "new" look. Whoever came up with this design??? I agree, the parlor look and feel is much more soothing and a much nicer feel for those of us who spend way too much time in airports and airplanes. Hate the new clubs at ATL and the new club at the F/G concourse junction at MSP is ice cold in its feel and appearance. Thankfully the C concourse club remains unchanged but for how long? The "main" club at DTW is often a zoo so I tend to use the smaller clubs there and I hope to hell they escape the wreckovation!
Exactly. I mean I like flying, but I do spend way to much time in airports and airplanes. When I go the club, I generally need to use the wifi, make a call, want to grab, and drink & snack, in privacy and away from the unwashed masses.

I do not want to go to a nightclub and/or romper-room.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I really am not sure what DL is trying to accomplish with their Skyclubs???? Does anyone????
Thousands and thousands of $25 daily admissions and vast hordes of new members who have to dig down between the couch cushions looking for quarters so that they can find their $29.99 monthly installment payment.

Alternately, envision a punk rock concert mosh pit. When the clubs are that crowded and noisy, management will be satisfied.
====================================
Edited to add illustration:

The fellow on the right, seemingly walking on the shoulders of the crowd, is trying to make his way to the bar.

The fellow on the left, with his feet up in the air, believes he has seen an unused power receptacle and is making a dive for it.

The other fellow who is feet up in the air in the middle of the picture saw the same receptacle and it trying to get there first.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Nov 21, 2011 at 8:09 am
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Buckshot
I detest the "new" look. Whoever came up with this design???
My understanding is that it was Target Commercial Interiors.

I swear there used to be a reference identifying Target on the Delta Blog post from July about the Sky Zone - but reviewing that post again it doesn't mention them, so either I'm hallucinating or it was edited to send the reference to Target down the memory hole.

In any case, it's verifiable elsewhere: https://twitter.com/#!/targetinterio...01131897262080

Last edited by BenA; Nov 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm Reason: fix typo and phrasing
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
My understanding is that it was Target Commercial Interiors.

I swear there used to be a reference identifying Target on the Delta Blog post from July about the Sky Zone - but reviewing that post agian it doesn't mention them anymore, so either I'm hallucinating or it was edited to send the reference to Target down the memory hole.

In any case, it's verifiable elsewhere: https://twitter.com/#!/targetinterio...01131897262080
Looks like it--DL is on their list of clients (misspelled, by the way--how hard is it to remember to put the space between Air and Lines )

Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold
IMHO, the decor and atmosphere of the ex-WC's at DTW is perfect for relaxation or business (FYI, my house does have lots of earth tones and wood). I've seen the pictures of the remodeled SC's, and it seems to me they might just as well hang some glitter balls from the ceilings and pipe the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band through the speakers. That decor is just a horror for someone looking for a place to unwind in the interim between work and flight, or for someplace to get some work done if need be.

In a previous life, I was a CRC member from about '87 to '93, and a WC member from '95-'03. I remember the large living room that was the CRC on the mezzanine in the Smith terminal in DTW, various CRC's in CVG, DFW, ATL, PHX, MCO, PHL, etc., and the WC's at the C (good) and F (horrible at the departure times for Asia flights) concourses in the Davey terminal, as well as WC's at LAX, SEA, MSP, ORD, etc. All of these had their charms. Once the McNamara terminal opened, though, it seemed to me NW had found the formula for a great airport lounge. It's sad to hear DL is throwing it all away for discomania.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Sad to see DL dultify this club.

First lounge I'd ever been on- guested in fresh off the ANC redeye- had an UG and a friends dad in the back guested me in... Was awesome then and now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.