Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main SC at DTW To Be "Modernized"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
I'm worried about what "opening up the spaces" means. Probably just trying to make more room for the unwashed masses to bring in their screaming children.

The other day I had to get into a fight with a drunken man in an ATL SkyClub because he thought it was acceptable to play Top 40s songs on his iPad (without headphones) at full volume. SkyClub agents did little to remedy the problem, so I took matters into my own hands and became a mini-hero for an hour to those around me. I even had to brave slurred "F*** Yous." That experience pretty much sums up the direction the SkyClub is heading, in my opinion.

Way to go Delta, you certainly do have a "different model." A model that will turn skyclubs into a haven for the most obnoxious people at the airport. I'm having trouble justifying renewal of my membership...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dd992emo
While I'm sure some people like that dark, 70s, retirement home look and feel, I'm glad they are updating it.
That's not it at all. An airport club should be relaxing and have a living room with a fireplace feel. That is not "70" that is just a classic relaxing space. The new SCs in ATL are more like night clubs. When you combine that with the crowds it feels busy and anything but relaxing.

The litmus test is that even when the DTW main club is full, as long as you have a nice corner with a soft chair in one of the quiet rooms you can still feel like you "got away from it" for a few minutes. If given the choice between waiting for my next flight in a loud night club or at the gate I will take the gate most times.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by avidflyer
An airport club should be relaxing and have a living room with a fireplace feel.... that is just a classic relaxing space.
and a nice bowl of HOT Soup.

It felt like Christmas!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
and a nice bowl of HOT Soup.

It felt like Christmas!
^^ and soup!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
That's not it at all. An airport club should be relaxing and have a living room with a fireplace feel. That is not "70" that is just a classic relaxing space. The new SCs in ATL are more like night clubs. When you combine that with the crowds it feels busy and anything but relaxing.

The litmus test is that even when the DTW main club is full, as long as you have a nice corner with a soft chair in one of the quiet rooms you can still feel like you "got away from it" for a few minutes. If given the choice between waiting for my next flight in a loud night club or at the gate I will take the gate most times.
I understand that is your preference, but your (or my) preference doesn't match everyone else's. Presuming that our preference is the way it "should be" or that we establish the litmus test standard seems a little...well, presumptuous.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:06 pm

Look the writing has been on the wall a LONG time....

Delta wants to make more $$ off of their clubs. So they are "remodeling" them as an excuse to cram MORE seats into them...and then turning around and increasing the number of people paying (groupon/amex/etc) to get in...

Everything else, including our dismay, is not something they even think about!

The only way our unhappiness with the changes would register with Delta is if it affected the $$ the skyclubs generate.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I have to wonder why the Detroit news is so worried about how Delta will remodel their Skyclubs. Doesn't Detroit have more pressing matters to deal with...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I have to wonder why the Detroit news is so worried about how Delta will remodel their Skyclubs. Doesn't Detroit have more pressing matters to deal with...
I am pretty sure Delta's ad spend has something to do with it
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:33 pm
Suspended

The best clubs I've ever visited, all operated by non-US carriers, have had distinctly modern decor and ambiance. I'm not aware of any great airport clubs that feels like a members only gentlemen's club from the 1980s.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:35 pm
k2

While I'm sure some people like that dark, 70s, retirement home look and feel, I'm glad they are updating it.
Have you been in the club? It was built about 10yrs ago and IMO has handled those years very well.

I understand wanting to update the look, but please don't mess with the layout, that would be a big
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:38 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
This is a sad day for Delta... the DTW Club is/was one of my favorites, outside of my home station. I did think it was quite nice broken up into different areas. I liked sitting near the windows and watching the masses passing through the airport... The fireplace just added class, I'm sure that will be one of the first things to go for blue neon and formica...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
+1. Not a fan of the old school look. Too dark. Too stuffy. It reminds me of a mall steakhouse.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Things not to do:

-get a bartender
-get blue motif
-knock down walls

Things to do:

-get a better vodka
-get a better whiskey, pref a bourbon
-keep tillamook
-keep coffee machine
-keep biscoffs
-improve the wifi
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Take a look at the article linked to in this thread, then take a look at the front this article (which appeared on the front page of today's paper above the fold).

http://www.freep.com/article/2011111...text|FRONTPAGE

and you'll have the answer to your question.

Bob H
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA nothing
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
This is very sad news

Say goodbye to the richness of the sophisticated warmth of a business lounge.

Say hello to the cold feel of a blue and white drenched modern jungle that screams cheap and tacky!

While I agree that they could better use the space. I fear the end product....
+1. Another blue and white bus terminal waiting area coming up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.