FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   future ATL-asia routes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1277954-future-atl-asia-routes.html)

JFK-flyer Nov 8, 2011 11:25 pm

future ATL-asia routes?

OK, I understand that DTW is the main domestic gateway for east Asia. Now, suppose DL turns some of their DTW operations to ATL, would that work out better? Correct me if I'm wrong, I think there are only ATL-NRT and ATL-PVG (2/week) at the moment?

Yaatri Nov 9, 2011 2:10 am

Other than a nonstop to HKG and (from DTW,is there another nonstop to an Asian destination?)) Delta connects to non-Japan Asian destinations via its NRT hub. There is already a "direct" ATL-SIN (which goes via NRT and requires an aircraft change too). Essentially, it's ATL-NRT. Delta might start "direct" services to other Asian destinations, but it does not make things better.
ATL is fartehr from NRT than any other DL gateway ( about an hour further than DTW-NRT).
What will happen to DTW, if DL moves its US-NRT/ASia flights to ATL? It would be the demise of DTW as an international gateway. The Asian market that DL inherited from NW prefers flying via DTW. There are some DL flyers who are used to flying through ATL and might want to fly ATL-NRT-Asia.

I think DL should keep DTW as the main gateway to Asia.

mtkeller Nov 9, 2011 3:16 am

Why on earth would they want to make ATL more congested? Seriously. KE runs ATL-ICN to provide options for those who can't get to DTW in a single hop but can get to ATL in a single hop.

pbarnette Nov 9, 2011 3:37 am

While I think the congestion complaints about ATL are way overplayed and will become only more overplayed once the new international terminal is open, the reality is that ATL is just too far removed for much TPAC service. I mean, ATL-HKG would be the 5th longest flight in the world, and ATL-PVG is already in the top 25.

The economics start eroding pretty quickly when you get to ATL-Asia distances. SQ makes the SIN non-stops work, but they have great yields on the all-J plane. Aside from those routes, you have the LAX-BKK money pit that TG runs, quite a few routes to HKG, and a couple to BOM. That is pretty much it for distances comparable to ATL-Asia for TPAC. I'd offer that this should tell folks something about the feasibility of such routes.

DTW is better, but for service to second-tier destinations to be really workable, then I'd say that DL would be well-served to think hard about continuing to build ex-SEA capabilities.

DL2SXM Nov 9, 2011 4:02 am

they've tried it in the past and it didnt work out

ClipperDelta Nov 9, 2011 4:15 am

Originally Posted by JFK-flyer (Post 17417313)
OK, I understand that DTW is the main domestic gateway for east Asia. Now, suppose DL turns some of their DTW operations to ATL, would that work out better? Correct me if I'm wrong, I think there are only ATL-NRT and ATL-PVG (2/week) at the moment?

No, DTW is actually more "along the way" for TPAC service from most East Coast cities.
Pre-merger DL didn't really have a choice but to use ATL as their primary TPAC East Coast gateway; their other hubs simply did not fit the bill in terms of O&D and connecting traffic for Asia. I frankly don't think you would find more nonstop ATL-Asia service in the future (long trip, high fuel costs, etc.). ATL-PVG was only recently restarted most probably because the China authority they obtained for ATL-PVG was only for ATL-PVG, and could not be transferred to another US gateway; they didn't want to lose it, so restarted it, obviously rather gingerly, with only 2x weekly service. Such long flights are expensive to operate in today's fuel environment....

DaddyRabbit Nov 9, 2011 7:03 am

Yes. Yes.

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 17417783)
Why on earth would they want to make ATL more congested? Seriously. KE runs ATL-ICN to provide options for those who can't get to DTW in a single hop but can get to ATL in a single hop.

Absolutely, and DTW is such a superior airport to ATL. I ONLY fly via ATL if it is absolutely necessary now.

hansyuwiwb Nov 9, 2011 8:47 am

Out of DTW, DL has the following nonstop service to asia:

DTW-NRT daily
DTW-HND daily
DTW-NGO daily
DTW-PVG 5x weekly
DTW-PEK 5x weekly
DTW-HKG daily

As of now, ATL has: daily service to NRT, and 3x weekly to PVG.

There used to be a DTW-KIX but now it's moved to SEA, which gives SEA three nonstop routes: SEA-PEK/NRT/KIX.

LAX has a nonstop to both HND and NRT. All other delta US cities only have one nonstop to NRT.

There are a lot more then you thought.

tentseller Nov 9, 2011 9:50 am

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb (Post 17419037)

DTW-NRT daily
DTW-HND daily
DTW-NGO daily
DTW-PVG 5x weekly
DTW-PEK 5x weekly
DTW-HKG daily

There used to be a DTW-KIX but now it's moved to SEA, which gives SEA three nonstop routes: SEA-PEK/NRT/KIX.

LAX has a nonstop to both HND and NRT. All other delta US cities only have one nonstop to NRT.

DTW NGO is basically a DTW MNL flight with a crew change refuel in NGO as opposed to the higher landing and crew rest cost at NRT.
There is also the TPAC freight which pound for pound is more profitable than flying "flesh"

via amtrak Nov 9, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb (Post 17419037)

DTW-NRT daily
DTW-HND daily
DTW-NGO daily
DTW-PVG 5x weekly
DTW-PEK 5x weekly
DTW-HKG daily

DTW-HND is no longer operating. These flights are due to resume in April 2012 (https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...vice/index.jsp)

DL-Don Nov 9, 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit (Post 17418464)
Absolutely, and DTW is such a superior airport to ATL. I ONLY fly via ATL if it is absolutely necessary now.

+1

N830MH Nov 9, 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by via amtrak (Post 17420040)
DTW-HND is no longer operating. These flights are due to resume in April 2012 (https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...vice/index.jsp)

Right, DTW-HND is eliminate due to poorly performers. Which is why they didn't have enough passengers. They will be back again within 5 month later.

craig44485 Nov 9, 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit (Post 17418464)

+1 However, until DL gets all the 747-400 refurbished with AVOD and lie flat seats in BE, the only choice you have to get the 777 is out of ATL or MSP. If I could get the 777 out of DTW I would go that route. I did the ATL>NRT flight 2 weeks ago, 14.5 hours in the air! Longest flight I have ever been on. What is the longest flight DL has going right now out of curiousty?

via amtrak Nov 9, 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by craig44485 (Post 17422697)
What is the longest flight DL has going right now out of curiousty?

I believe that would be ATL - JNB.

worldtraveler19 Nov 9, 2011 6:59 pm

Indeed--- it is about 8400 miles ATL- JNB. LAX-SYD is about 7550 miles or so