Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A conversation with a nonrev seatmate...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A conversation with a nonrev seatmate...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Wow have you not read the past couple of pages? These threads always end up the same way.
While FT remains a guilty pleasure for me, I haven't visited forums related to hotel programs, or other travel-related businesses as much as I have this one, so I wonder if there is as much animosity for the perks other companies give their employees? My friends who work for Coca-Cola, auto manufacturers, hotels, cruise lines, restaurants, etc. etc. get perks that I certainly envy, but I would never begrudge them of taking full advantage of what their companies offer.

Back on topic, the guy sitting next to the OP was clearly running off at the mouth. If not for the OP's mention of him having a girlfriend he often flew to see, one might conclude he was trying to impress her (she of the self-admitted attractiveness).
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Back on topic, the guy sitting next to the OP was clearly running off at the mouth. If not for the OP's mention of him having a girlfriend he often flew to see, one might conclude he was trying to impress her (she of the self-admitted attractiveness).
Having a girlfriend (or wife) and chatting up your attractive seatmate are by no means mutually exclusive activities. Being married makes it even more likely to occur in my experience. YMMV.

In this instance I think he was a bit more likely to boast, but he was decked out in his "I work for Delta" gear long before he sat down next to me.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by javabytes
No, but if he's wearing green tags, that'd be a different story.

Originally Posted by houserulz77
I get it from here. It's possible, perhaps likely, that a vast majority of Shena posts are inaccurate. But it's also likely that a significant number of these posts are accurate. There are also a significant number of posts where savy FT members have been able to avoid getting duped out of expected services/benefits. Given the rather small percentage of DL customers that post in the forum, I'm sure the number of incidences is measurable.

My larger point was that the number of incidents where employees skirt company policy to help out friends/colleagues is going to be directly related to the ways in which the company prevents, monitors and deals with these incidents.
Shena is short for shenanigans. To me, this is anytime an employee knowingly fails to follow a policy, and does so for their own (including to help friends) advantage.

If the guy goes right, that's fine (assuming they are using L2). However, if he goes right when he should have been allowed to go left, then it's a problem.
Here's my question though... what is the policy for upgrades? Once you board you've lost your place... right?

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
For me, the only real solution to the Shena upgrade issues is for Delta (and all US carriers for that matter) to dramatically cut back on non-rev benefits. Frankly, my view is that the benefit is a relic of days gone by. Really makes no sense to continue to offer these today. Why should an employee or retiree friend get to fly free on the carrier? Just because? It makes no sense.
You work for an airline not for the $$ (they pay less than comparable industries) but for the benefits. DL Employees board after all paying passengers are boarded and the seat would go empty w/o the employee in it...

The problem is that non-rev benefits are grandfathered into contracts and must be one of the most difficult things to ammend. To be honest, I am surprised that when DL/UA/NW went through chapter 11, they did not address the non-rev benefit issue at the time. Maybe AA will be the first if they do enter into chapter 11 in the future.

My recommendation is to completely eliminate friends and extended family non-rev perks and limit the employee perks to maybe 2-3 trips per year with one companion allowed if they travel with the employee. And these allowable trips should only be in Y class with no option for upgrading to F or J. Period!!

Let the flames commence as they will.....but I am convinced this is the only way to deal with this issue and put an end to employees feeling entitled and the opportunity for games to be played.
That is not the answer as you'll just see the onboard upgrades commence...

Originally Posted by zsmith2
I think this thread has strayed way off topic....surprise surprise. I for one think this thread should come to an end!
+1

1) Getting rid of upgrades for nonrevs
2) Harsh consequences for GAs who upgrade out of order
3) Getting rid of nonrev travel

I agree that #3 is excessive, but when there is a clear issue that has been talked about repeatedly, yet the issue continues, people will start coming up with potential solutions which are more drastic.

It's not OT, it's simply problem-solving.
It's an issue only for a few.. doubting that DL has an endemic issue with it and, if they do, complain every time you think you are slighted. More likely than not you weren't. The upgrade list is easily tracked...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
While FT remains a guilty pleasure for me, I haven't visited forums related to hotel programs, or other travel-related businesses as much as I have this one, so I wonder if there is as much animosity for the perks other companies give their employees? My friends who work for Coca-Cola, auto manufacturers, hotels, cruise lines, restaurants, etc. etc. get perks that I certainly envy, but I would never begrudge them of taking full advantage of what their companies offer.
While I do agree with you, the distinct problem between airlines and other companies is that the perks of airline employee can visibly infringe on customers, and the benefits that the company provides HVC customers for being loyal.

To make matters worst, when employees are visibly in cahoots to look out for one another instead of their customers (who pay their salary) the employee (who represent the company to customer) reflect to the customer who the company truly values more even though the employees maybe breaking said company's rules.

Originally Posted by yamakake
Having a girlfriend (or wife) and chatting up your attractive seatmate are by no means mutually exclusive activities. Being married makes it even more likely to occur in my experience. YMMV....
You have just perked my curiosity....
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
While I do agree with you, the distinct problem between airlines and other companies is that the perks of airline employee can visibly infringe on customers, and the benefits that the company provides HVC customers for being loyal.

To make matters worst, when employees are visibly in cahoots to look out for one another instead of their customers (who pay their salary) the employee (who represent the company to customer) reflect to the customer who the company truly values more even though the employees maybe breaking said company's rules.
Curious how you can "spot" a Non-Rev over a revenue passenger...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Everyone wants to feel important. In this case, it sounds like the baggage guy on a trip, was over exagerating his status. Fine. He throws bags day in and day out, this is his one time a year to be a big shot. Let him have his minute. If he gets an upgrade from time to time, good on him, let's face it, 90% + of us are upgraded as part of our jobs. Sure there are a few folks who fly on their own enough to get the perks, the rest of us are just getting moved up because we spend way to much time away from our families. Let the guy talk, let him feel important, and press on.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Here's my question though... what is the policy for upgrades? Once you board you've lost your place... right?
As asked in my original post on the topic....

How does the process contribute to the issue? I'm sure, given the current process, that it is very easy for a GA to say, "All pax on the u/g list had already boarded. I had one non-rev waiting at the gate, so I gave them the F seat that was left when a pax did't show for the flight."

It's an issue only for a few.. doubting that DL has an endemic issue with it and, if they do, complain every time you think you are slighted. More likely than not you weren't. The upgrade list is easily tracked...
I'll say that I have never personally (as far as I know) been passed over for an upgrade.

If you read my posts, I am a big believer of policies. I don't get too upset about new policies (I understand Delta is a for-profit entity). When I generally make posts that have a "negative" tone towards the company, it is because policies are not followed. Make no mistake, I don't blame nonrevs, and I don't blame GAs; I blame the company.

It's the company's job to make sure that services advertised to customers are supported by policies for employees to follow. When those policies are ineffective, the issue needs to be addressed. At this point I have read enough anecdotal evidence to feel confident in stating that there is a lack of transparency in the upgrade policy, and that this has lead to customers not receiving the services they expected.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:06 pm

My recommendation is to completely eliminate friends and extended family non-rev perks and limit the employee perks to maybe 2-3 trips per year with one companion allowed if they travel with the employee. And these allowable trips should only be in Y class with no option for upgrading to F or J. Period!!

Let the flames commence as they will.....but I am convinced this is the only way to deal with this issue and put an end to employees feeling entitled and the opportunity for games to be played.
This is a good approach but it's only a partial solution.

Delta should also eliminate the idea of upgrading revenue passengers and put an end to the feeling of entitlement they have. Simply fly in the class that was paid for and don't worry about keeping track of upgrade percentages.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:11 pm

For me, the only real solution to the Shena upgrade issues is for Delta (and all US carriers for that matter) to dramatically cut back on non-rev benefits. Frankly, my view is that the benefit is a relic of days gone by. Really makes no sense to continue to offer these today. Why should an employee or retiree friend get to fly free on the carrier? Just because? It makes no sense.
:lol:

I think we should go back to the good ole days when people sitting in first actually paid for it.

Flying benefits are one of the only perks of working in the airline industry.

Have you ever seen a (non-pilot/non-management/non-executive) airline employee paycheck?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by DLBeno
:lol:

I think we should go back to the good ole days when people sitting in first actually paid for it.

Flying benefits are one of the only perks of working in the airline industry.

Have you ever seen a (non-pilot/non-management/non-executive) airline employee paycheck?
Sadly every 2 weeks lol
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DLBeno
:Flying benefits are one of the only perks of working in the airline industry.
And flying non-rev in Y is a great benefit. I would have no problems with never getting upgraded again if I didn't have to pay for the ticket I'd even be willingto sit in the middle seat in the back row
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Curious how you can "spot" a Non-Rev over a revenue passenger...
Here's a hint for those on the lookout: when you arrive early into ATL & you get to an open gate immediately, try to spot the non-rev pax on board. And y'all thought it was just your lucky day when that happens.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL FO
The other day, I flew LGA-ATL. Was booked on the 7am flight, but got there early enough to switch to the 6:29am... but I only wanted to switch if I could sit in F (I had been upgraded on the 7am). GIDS show 1 unclaimed F seat. Only one GA working the flight (pretty empty in Y) at Gate 1, so right near the boarding door. Uniformed FA standing right next to GA. About 5 people asking if they could switch to that flight. She calls for backup from a redcoat. She processes one passenger's (a GM) ticket right then, telling him that only Y is available. He says no prob, and away he goes. GIDS still showing that 1 unclaimed F seat. Red coat shows up and walks me over to main counter to process me, and I tell him that I only want to switch if I can have the 1 unclaimed F seat. He tells me he sees the seat and that he will give it to me. When he goes to assign my seat, he tells me that F is no longer available. I tell him I hope it didn't go to a non-rev. He tells me it didn't. Right then, his radio goes off and someone tells him that 6D is still unoccupied. Original GA comes over and tells him that "6D is for a non-rev". He looks at me apologetically and tells the GA he's giving 6D to me, which he did.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I've got two surefire ways to get free drinks on the flight even if you're sitting back in 59Q, but I'm not about to post them publicly as to not lower the ax on A: My booze, and B: Booze of the other FF'ers who've also figured this out.

PM me if you want details.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Oh, and by the way:

I believe the policy for SDCs for Medallions is that if a non-rev has been cleared (into F or Y), then the Medallion is technically below him as far as priority because the non-rev has been accommodated and the Medallion is deciding to switch at the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.