Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:18 pm

The leaf in the wind analogy is a healthy and enlightened way to look at it, my friend.

It doesn't change the fact that, as I understand it, this is a lousy way to alert us -- at the moment, not before, the promotion begins. Do you really disagree?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:18 pm

Meanwhile I'm staying up until 3:30 EST or so in the hopes this will go live, although at this point I suspect it will be more likely 8 or 9 am mountain time since Skymall is based in Phoenix.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
The leaf in the wind analogy is a healthy and enlightened way to look at it, my friend.

It doesn't change the fact that, as I understand it, this is a lousy way to alert us -- at the moment, not before, the promotion begins. Do you really disagree?
Skymall probably doesn't need to do this promotion. Obviously it's profitable or they wouldn't be doing it again so soon. From a business standpoint building up the anticipation like this is ingenious.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy
I have to disagree in that the Grand Slam is even more lucrative if you can get some hits from normal travel or business travel. 100k US Airways miles could be had for around $300, which I think most on flyertalk would value quite a bit above 100k Delta skymiles. Also the promotion this time around seems much more iffy, i.e. if you want to be sure to get in on it you would want to wake up at 3am EST and stay up for the next 24 hours, since we don't know what time it will start.

But you are right about "the early bird gets the worm." I got 100k skymiles from this in september for a total cost of something like $400. That means roundtrip business class for me from the US to Europe is under $500 even after taxes; an amazing deal.

Still though this is an amazing deal and it seems Aaron and Skymall realize they need to leverage this to attract other people instead of it just being an open-ended offer.
I earned 315,000 miles for myself and another 55ish miles through the GS11 but I spent about 3x more for the GS than I did to get 325k miles for this promotion and the GS11 was an even bigger hassle.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
This will turn into one big ugly messssssss......
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Vacation time
This will turn into one big ugly messssssss......
People thought that last time. It was extremely smooth. No joke, Aaron is one of the best representatives I've dealt with, ever.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
I almost bit last time on this promo and did not pull the trigger and now we don't know what time it starts maybe 3 Am est. Which I am staying up till and only 1000 people can get in on this offer. I am sure there are alot of e-mails that will be sent like they said and by the time they read the e-mails the deal is gone.

I keep my fingers crossed that it goes smooth
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Vacation time
I almost bit last time on this promo and did not pull the trigger and now we don't know what time it starts maybe 3 Am est. Which I am staying up till and only 1000 people can get in on this offer. I am sure there are alot of e-mails that will be sent like they said and by the time they read the e-mails the deal is gone.
I think since Aaron is probably sound asleep this is not going to go live. You all should CALM down. Cheers!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
I think since Aaron is probably sound asleep this is not going to go live. You all should CALM down. Cheers!
^

Maybe, but who knows. Honestly it's a good promo even if it turns out it's kind of random who gets included or not. Can't fault skymall for that.

I'm still waiting.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
I just posted my SkyMall Analysis spreadsheet that I use to evaluate different scenarios. It includes several sample orders to give you a few ideas of what to order. I have a hunch that when you get a price match, SkyMall will only refund the difference between the retail prices (not the associated sales tax), so this spreadsheet keeps the tax amounts equal in the "Price Match Order Total."

Let me know if you spot an error.
great work, but it doesnt include paypal fees in addition to ebay (assuming you go that route)
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Lightbulb When?

Originally Posted by keirnna
I'm sure everyone already realizes the go live is most likely scheduled and would not require anyone to be in the office in Phoenix.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by coastalguy
I'm sure everyone already realizes the go live is most likely scheduled and would not require anyone to be in the office in Phoenix.
Of course, anyway. I'm stopping the speculation and look forward to the announcement.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:56 pm

I just posted my SkyMall Analysis spreadsheet that I use to evaluate different scenarios. It includes several sample orders to give you a few ideas of what to order. I have a hunch that when you get a price match, SkyMall will only refund the difference between the retail prices (not the associated sales tax), so this spreadsheet keeps the tax amounts equal in the "Price Match Order Total."

Regardless how people feel about the promo, this was a nice contribution. Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold

I am not sure how where you are seeing a resale value of $540 for galaxy tab? The average price on ebay is ~$480
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by kyunbit
I am not sure how where you are seeing a resale value of $540 for galaxy tab? The average price on ebay is ~$480
and with a thousand more on ebay tomorrow, probably will go less than that. good luck to all those who participate in this promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.