Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta picked me up in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only had the Porsche ride once. I was on a full Y fare connecting at JFK. Ironically, it was one of the super-cheap "Boxing Day" mistake fares.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
My only ride was on a day when my connection was especially long!
A Sunday morning, flying DCA-JFK-and then somewhere west.
Arrived at the RJ rat maze at T2; I was sitting in 1A and saw the Porsche and figured with the long connection it wasn't for me. But it was. I got delivered to the bus gate at T4 and went off to the Sky Club.
Riding around the gates was a neat experience, but of course I didn't get to climb the jetway stairs.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:18 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Saj8986
Interesting....You've been DM for years and zero Porche rides? Curious which hubs you are connecting in and out of. I've never had it in ATL, MSP, SLC etc... but got it in SEA and it wasn't a tight connection.
I was MSP based for most of the last several years and did most connections in ATL (to S. America) and LAX (Australia). I think the risk/reward payoff may not be worth booking tighter connections!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I just got picked in a Porsche in DTW- photos to follow. My first time was at MSP so this is second time

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Mar 12, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I just got picked in a Porsche in DTW
^
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Saj8986
Interesting....You've been DM for years and zero Porche rides? Curious which hubs you are connecting in and out of. I've never had it in ATL, MSP, SLC etc... but got it in SEA and it wasn't a tight connection.
I'm on year 5 and nothing. I've barely missed flights after running to them, too. I consider it the run-for-your-flight-slam-jetbridge-door-in-your-face-seat-gone-anyhow treatment.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Just had my 2nd ever, this one at LAX. Not really a tight connection, but a terminal change. I'm certainly no DL360, so it's a nice surprise.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
I've had two Porsches (within like 4 weeks of each other maybe 5 months ago now).

1st was flying in crazy snow PHL-DTW-BOS on a Thursday morning... Delayed leaving PHL and landed in DTW expecting to run trying to catch a flight that left in ~15 min. Porsche was there with my name and the agent asked if I wanted to try and make my earlier connection. Boarded just as the doors closed.

2nd was a Monday morning in JFK flying BOS-JFK-DCA. Agent picked me up from T2 and asked if I wanted a ride. I agreed. No tight connection. I was actually headed to the T4 SkyClub for my routine breakfast bagel. He dropped me right at the SkyClub in T4. He admitted it was a slow day so they were just looking for Diamonds with connections between terminals.

It's a great surprise to get! My little slice of being a VIP.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
I have had the privilege 3 times, twice at JFK and once at MSP. All 3 were in 2015 and nothing since. As the previous poster mentioned, I believe they must have been fairly slow days since I had plenty of time for all my connections.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Got two rides a month apart on MSP-YEG, both on Sundays. One time the agent had to route me up the jetbridge to the "next door" gate for a flight that was just about to board, which seemed to initially confuse the GA who was just about to let pax board to San Antonio!

Unfortunately, there were few other choices for me than those 40-45 minute connections for that route. Didn't know MSP had it, that was a surprise.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Got my first ride on May 11th. My wife and I had a 38 min connection in ATL. Weather was beautiful, so no concerns about lots of people missing flights. I tweeted while en route and asked if we might be "surprised and delighted" with a ride upon our arrival as it was our 10th anniversary trip (which it was) and we had a short connection.

We weren't sitting together because I had SDC'd back into first on that flight from an earlier departure. My wife got off first and walked right by the gentleman holding a sign with our name on it. I had to half yell at her to come back! She was quite confused as to what was happening when he opened the door to the stairs and asked us to follow him. (She is not a frequent traveler.) We were only going from B to A, but they drove around and took the long way so that the flight was boarding by the time we got there. Back up the steps and off we went!
Old May 31, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
First Porsche Ride for Me -- Yippee

My DCA-JFK flight this morning was delayed when the on-board computers on our B717 would not properly boot up. We ended up taking off about 35 minutes late.

When I got to T2 Gate 61, a Delta representative, Renee, had a sign with my name on it, and led me down the bus escalator to a beautiful black Porsche with that new car smell, leather seats, Sirius/XM radio, the works. I was with a couple headed for Aruba; Julio, our driver, dropped them off at their flight at the end of the B concourse, and then took me to a door which led to a corridor which led to an elevator which ended up on the T4 concourse just past the entrance to the Sky Club.

I am one happy camper this morning, even though I won’t get to my destination until 90 minutes after scheduled arrival.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I got my first ride today! I arrived at DTW and David picked me up in a red Porsche!

As I was walking down the aisle to the exit the aircraft, a flight attendant near the exit called my name. I answered, and she said, "Your chauffeur is waiting." I was like...what? When I stepped onto the jet bridge, a Delta Airlines agent was waiting for me with an iPad that had my name on it. We descended the steps to the tarmac, and he drove me from my arriving gate to my connecting gate in a Porsche Cayenne. The views and the ride were stunning. 😀
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I had a very tight connection today in ATL, and I tweeted a DM to @Delta asking if there was a chance I could be surprised and delighted, to which they replied "no promises but we'll let the team know." As it turned out, we had to sit on the tarmac for about 20 minutes to wait for an open gate. My phone rang at about T-15, it was the gate agent asking how close I was to T5! I told him "we're still waiting on a gate, so unless there's a porsche waiting for me, I'm not going to make it."

He said "look, I see you're already protected on the next flight, just call me back when you walk off the plane and I'll let you know, we might be a little delayed." I called him as I was walking off and he confirmed the door was closing on my flight but he went ahead and checked me in for the next one. I ended up having to walk to the plane train, no porsche for me today.

Anyway, I have not heard any similar stories of a gate agent calling a pax like this, I found it very surprising and quite impressive.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
I had a very tight connection today in ATL, and I tweeted a DM to @Delta asking if there was a chance I could be surprised and delighted, to which they replied "no promises but we'll let the team know." As it turned out, we had to sit on the tarmac for about 20 minutes to wait for an open gate. My phone rang at about T-15, it was the gate agent asking how close I was to T5! I told him "we're still waiting on a gate, so unless there's a porsche waiting for me, I'm not going to make it."

He said "look, I see you're already protected on the next flight, just call me back when you walk off the plane and I'll let you know, we might be a little delayed." I called him as I was walking off and he confirmed the door was closing on my flight but he went ahead and checked me in for the next one. I ended up having to walk to the plane train, no porsche for me today.

Anyway, I have not heard any similar stories of a gate agent calling a pax like this, I found it very surprising and quite impressive.
Dang I was hoping you got a ride. Would have given me hope as a PM.

Nice touch getting a call from the GA though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.