Redeye Rudeness - Pilot as Passenger

Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bennos
The part I am specifically addressing here is the assertion that people have a right to talk on planes. Airplanes are governed by FAA regulations and company policies. I am asking for a citation of a regulation or a Delta policy specifically enumerating the right to (or, for that matter, prohibiting) talk on planes.
When you find your regulation or delta policy addressing right to talk on planes, please post. I think you will be looking for a long time.

As long as people are talking at normal levels for conversation, then it's my responsibility to wear ear phones if I want silence. The same for people getting up to use the restroom. If someone uses it during a red eye, it might wake me up, but I can't blame a passenger for "having to go". I use the same standards on red-eyes as flights during the day. Just because I want to sleep on a red-eye doesn't mean fellow passengers have to sleep or have to be silent or whisper.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Why the first paragraph about your wife not taking your upgrade? You dont mention that the talking bothered her at alland she was sitting in Row 10 Since this post is all about how the talking affected you, Im not sure why its there Just an observation.

Sounds as though the passengers did eventually quiet down within 15-20 minutes of the FAs getting up, and not even necessarily as a result of your complaints to the FA.

Seems to me you made a bit more about this than necessary. That said, Im sure your fellow FC passengers enjoyed watching the glares and the throat cut and shhhhh charades Short word...Sounds like...Three letters...Pirates of the Caribbean...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Avis President's Club
It's your right to talk on redeyes.
It's your right to occupy the lav for 15 minutes.
It's your right to board with a bag of smelly greasy food.
It's your right on a day time TATL to keep your window shade up for the entire flt (there's always one in BE).
It's your right to make flying the _hit show it has become!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:13 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FrankC6
Exactly! Just like most airlines require all passengers to close window shades on redeyes (there goes one's right to look out of the window), I feel that airlines have a right, if not obligation, to require all passengers to respect that most pax will attempt to sleep on a redeye and any sounds should be kept to an absolute minimum.
Fortunately I have only been asked, not required, to lower window shades on all my redeyes. It really depends, and I know I am getting off-topic here. On long flights from Asia to the US that depart late at night for example, it is best to take a short nap very early in the flight then stay up the rest of the flight so when one arrives in the evening in the US, they are tired enough to go to bed and sleep soundly. Everyone who slept half the flight will have a much harder time with jet lag. The main reason I choose a window on such flights is so I can control the window shade. I lower it half way but having natural light helps in several ways to overcome jet lag.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Common Courtesy

If courtesy were common, everyone would have it.

Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by spartanflyer

Now THAT was the most insightful comment in this entire thread! ^
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
[1] Eyeshades
[2] Bose QC-15 headphones
Why 2 headphones?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fti
Fortunately I have only been asked, not required, to lower window shades on all my redeyes. It really depends, and I know I am getting off-topic here. On long flights from Asia to the US that depart late at night for example, it is best to take a short nap very early in the flight then stay up the rest of the flight so when one arrives in the evening in the US, they are tired enough to go to bed and sleep soundly. Everyone who slept half the flight will have a much harder time with jet lag. The main reason I choose a window on such flights is so I can control the window shade. I lower it half way but having natural light helps in several ways to overcome jet lag.
Hmmm, so it was you.....
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DaChief
Hmmm, so it was you.....
Yes it was. I was also helping you to overcome jet lag quicker. If you want the window shade completely closed, book a window seat yourself next time
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jrl22
gestured "Cut" and put my finger to my lips
I don't think many adults would respond to this kind of gesture as it is something that would usually be applied to a child by a parent, and he may have ignored you because of this.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I don't think many adults would respond to this kind of gesture as it is something that would usually be applied to a child by a parent, and he may have ignored you because of this.
Too bad the curtain wasn't up to protect the Loud pilot from the gesture.

I agree if someone made a sign like that to me I would prob ignore it.

Now if I was loud and someone glared at me, I would def quiet down.

But I would prob never be boisterous in a dark post-LAS redeye either
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by fti
A single window shade half open will lighten the cabin considerably, making it harder for others to sleep.

You chose to stay awake, fine. But keeping others awake via either loud talking or opening the shades is uncalled for.

You are being just as inconsiderate as the subject of this thread.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
That's what headphones are for. If I am a paying passenger and I choose to talk on my flight, I have a right to do so. Maybe he slept all day and was up all night? I understand that it should be at a lower volume but he does have a right to have a conversation.
I agree. Trust me I took a 7pm PBI-BOS flight in August a few years ago...the entire plane did not stop talking the entire flight.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
... Particularly on a red eye or a overnight long haul, you should keep your voice down because most people try to sleep. Of course you can talk, but talk so just the person next to you can hear, not the whole cabin. There is a huge difference. ... There is no reason to be loud and act like its your living room or office. This is exactly why I hope that there will never, ever be cell phone service on planes. ...
Originally Posted by bennos
... what we're left with is etiquette... ie: being polite to each other. On a redeye, common sense says that most people will want to sleep and therefore etiquette is to be quiet (keep conversation to a whisper). The same way that etiquette says circumstances of a movie theater mean you shouldn't talk above a whisper.
bingo ... +1 to both

Originally Posted by designflaw
If something bothered me this much, I would have asked the PAX politely to calm it down, I was trying to sleep.
that would have been difficult to do with boarding going on, during pushback/taxi/takeoff, and before the seat belt sign was turned off ... had I been in 10A rather than in 2 I would have spoken to him in a heartbeat

Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
Why the first paragraph about your wife not taking your upgrade? You don’t mention that the talking bothered her at all…and she was sitting in Row 10… Since this post is all about how the talking affected you, I’m not sure why it’s there… Just an observation. ...
have you read the multitude of posts on here with the multitude of opinions about whether to keep the UG or offer it to your spouse/significant other/boss ???

she had her iPod and iPad with earbuds, and she is perfectly capable of bringing another passenger's rudeness to their (or the FA's) attention (although probably reluctant to do either)

Sounds as though the passengers did eventually quiet down within 15-20 minutes of the FAs getting up, and not even necessarily as a result of your complaints to the FA....
true but irrelevant

Seems to me you made a bit more about this than necessary. That said, I’m sure your fellow FC passengers enjoyed watching the glares and the “throat cut” and “shhhhh” charades… Short word...Sounds like...Three letters...Pirates of the Caribbean...
most everyone else in F (at least those I could see in rows 3 and 4, and the other three seats in 2) had their eyes closed ... the gesture was only after about my fifth glare

Originally Posted by FrankC6
Exactly! Just like most airlines require all passengers to close window shades on redeyes (there goes one's right to look out of the window) ....
thanks for reminding me; that request occurred too (and it was barely dawn as we descended thru the overcast at 0615)

Originally Posted by spartanflyer
that was exactly my point -- "rather disturbing that a line pilot and another DL employee apparently didn't understand (or just chose to ignore) ..."
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jrl22
856 SAN-JFK, Fri night 10/28 --

I was on a revenue ticket, my wife (non-elite) was on an award ticket (i.e., no companion upgrade) ... she declined my offer to sit up front, saying she finds it easier to lean against the sidewall in coach (10A)

for about the last 5-10 min of boarding, throughout the entire pushback/taxi/takeoff sequence incl the safety video, and the first 10 min or so of climbout the passenger in 10C (who admitted to being a DL pilot on leave) carried on a very animated conversation with the passenger in 10D (and possibly 10E as well) at a volume level that I could hear fairly clearly in row 2 (I also think at least one of the other talkers was an employee because she spent a fair amount of time in the forward galley chatting with the FAs during the trip)

I glared back at him several times, thought there was eye contact, gestured "Cut" and put my finger to my lips ... no reaction, no change in volume ... as soon as the FAs were up and about I rang the call button and asked the lead FA to please nicely ask them to shut up ... it probably took another 15-20 min before the conversation was at a low enough volume that my second Woodford kicked in

neither my wife nor I can say for sure whether he was NRSA or a paying psgr, but it's still rather disturbing that a line pilot and another DL employee apparently didn't understand (or just chose to ignore) that most if not all pax on a redeye are more interested in sleeping than in listening to other conversations
Sooo... a passenger was talking while on board the airplane, you glared and made rude gestures, and you are surprised he ignored you?

Believe it or not, when people are glared at and rudely gestured at, perhaps the least noxious reaction is going to be to ignore the rude gestures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.