Wiki Posts
Search

E170 (all y) substitutes for E175

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Post E170 (all y) substitutes for E175

Kinda of a bummer to sit way back when I has a "confirmed" upgrade.

But, could be worse:

- The 34" pitch is noticeably better than the standard 30-31 you get on most delta equipment in coach
- at least I didn't get a middle seat.
- well anything is better than a CR2

- Gate crew seemed to handle it okay. They were a little flustered, but It looks like we will get out okay.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
34" pitch is not too rough. Especially if there's an empty seat next to you, raise the armrest and that's better than an upgrade.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:23 am
Original Poster

There was someone next to me.

So, they handed out these free "upgrade" certificates. Came in a nice red "our apologies" sleeve, and printed on ticket stock.

It says it is valid for "A free one class upgrade between any two cities on the delta system within the U.S. Excluding Hawaii or between any city served by delta and canada/mexico/bermuda or the carribean".

So, what's this cert good for? In domestic/canada travel, will it let me confirm an upgrade using different/better rules than a regular medallion upgrade?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
There was someone next to me.

So, they handed out these free "upgrade" certificates. Came in a nice red "our apologies" sleeve, and printed on ticket stock.

It says it is valid for "A free one class upgrade between any two cities on the delta system within the U.S. Excluding Hawaii or between any city served by delta and canada/mexico/bermuda or the carribean".

So, what's this cert good for? In domestic/canada travel, will it let me confirm an upgrade using different/better rules than a regular medallion upgrade?
Nice service recovery. My E175 flight yesterday was changed to an E170 and no one mentioned a thing about it until we got on the plane. Hearing your story now makes me more frustrated that no one acknowledged it. Edited: I also thought it was funny that the flight was fully catered as if it was the F breakfast flight that was scheduled. The carts were full of service trays. Needless to say, the 3 guys on the flight deck and the 2 FAs ate well...

Does the cert have any fine print on it? My guess is that it cleared into Z/G same as SWU but maybe it requires V/X. <shrugs>

Last edited by TTT; Nov 1, 2011 at 6:02 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Other than what I quoted above, the only fine print is that it's valid only on delta and delta connection, and it expires in a year.

There's this code "MSUPG" which might define what it is..
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM
The upgrade certificate is really a nice touch. I have been downgraded before and have only heard the stock line that upgrades are not guaranteed. Hopefully this is a new measure system-wide.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
At least the 170s have reasonable pitch at 34"

Not entirely sure, but that may be one of the "golden" upgrade certs which would normally get given to an invol downgrade from a paid F pax... meaning that they are usable without the G/Z availability restriction. Probably have to call to try to use it. I'd say try using it on JFK-SFO and see if it works.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NHFL9
The upgrade certificate is really a nice touch. I have been downgraded before and have only heard the stock line that upgrades are not guaranteed. Hopefully this is a new measure system-wide.
This. I've always been SOL on an equipment downgrade.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Just got downgraded. In fact still on tarmac at DTW waiting for a gate to open. Got nada.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by irfan23
Just got downgraded. In fact still on tarmac at DTW waiting for a gate to open. Got nada.
Write in to complain?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Other than what I quoted above, the only fine print is that it's valid only on delta and delta connection, and it expires in a year.

There's this code "MSUPG" which might define what it is..
I just got the same thing for a downgrade, but there is no information on how to use it and if it requires upgrade space inventory or can be used as a positive space upgrade?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Curious if these swaps are only happening on <750 mile routes? Otherwise Delta would be violating their claim of being the only US airline to fly two-class aircraft on all flights over 750 miles.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
According to SeatGuru, the E-170 fleet is two cabin, 9 in first and 60 in economy, versus 12/64 for the E-175. This thread must have started before they put F seats on the big regional jets.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Well, it IS a 2.5-yr old thread...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by akcae
Well, it IS a 2.5-yr old thread...
Yes, but it is the only thread mentioning this type of upgrade certificate. "MSUPG"

Can anyone comment on how to use them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.