FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   First Class Seating on A319 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1274865-first-class-seating-a319.html)

SighMN Oct 31, 2011 5:53 pm

First Class Seating on A319

I am travelling JFK-MSP as part of an international itinerary on DL160/DL161. I was booked to fly on MD-88s but without realising or getting any notification the aircraft have changed to A319. Does Delta not notify their customers when the aircraft type changes?

I've read on this site the A319 seat recline is huge and the tray tables for some unexplicable reason are still attached to the seat in front. So are the best seats still the bulkheads? Are there little foot cutouts so you actually get less legroom in the bulkheads? I know on the MD-88 there are no foot cutouts and the bulkheads seats are extremely cramped.

adamj023 Oct 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SighMN (Post 17368443)
I am travelling JFK-MSP as part of an international itinerary on DL160/DL161. I was booked to fly on MD-88s but without realising or getting any notification the aircraft have changed to A319. Does Delta not notify their customers when the aircraft type changes?

I've read on this site the A319 seat recline is huge and the tray tables for some unexplicable reason are still attached to the seat in front. So are the best seats still the bulkheads? Are there little foot cutouts so you actually get less legroom in the bulkheads? I know on the MD-88 there are no foot cutouts and the bulkheads seats are extremely cramped.

Can't comment as to best seating on an A319 since Ive only been on A320's in one class configuration.

davetravels Oct 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Does Delta not notify their customers when the aircraft type changes?

As far as I know, you only get notification when the times change. I checked all of my itineraries Saturday, as they have schedule changes almost every Saturday, and I found a TON of RJ flight number changes, but the times were all identical - and I received absolutely ZERO notification.

cfischer Oct 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 17368508)
As far as I know, you only get notification when the times change. I checked all of my itineraries Saturday, as they have schedule changes almost every Saturday, and I found a TON of RJ flight number changes, but the times were all identical - and I received absolutely ZERO notification.

correct.

I don't like the bulkhead on the A319/320s. I prefer row 2 but you will find many folkd who actually like the restricted legroom in row 1.

a7800 Oct 31, 2011 6:10 pm

There are cutouts and the legroom is very good in row 1. I am 6'5" and I choose Row 1. I used to spend a lot of time on A319s as a former NWA Plat.

cfischer Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by a7800 (Post 17368518)
There are cutouts and the legroom is very good in row 1. I am 6'5" and I choose Row 1. I used to spend a lot of time on A319s as a former NWA Plat.

nothing compared to 2 CD on the 752 or 1AB on the 753 ;)
It's not one of the worst bulkheads and if you are a row 1 guy then it might be ok; otherwise I find the legroom to be much better in row 2.

dldmfll Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm

On the 319 I always try to choose the bulkhead and I'm normally a bulkhead guy! Great room!!

rylan Oct 31, 2011 6:46 pm

Personally I prefer row 3 on the A319... can recline fully without worrying about smushing anyone. Although, the 319 does have more room than the 320 when the pax in front is reclining... not sure if its more pitch or less recline angle on the 319, but it feels roomier.

stevekstevek Oct 31, 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 17368508)
As far as I know, you only get notification when the times change.

I got a notification recently when my equipment change (744 -> 332). It also changed my seat assignment. It might be the seat assignment change that triggers the mail -- I'm guessing when they make substitutions where people's seats don't change (i.e one 738 variant for another, or one 752 variant for another), they probably don't want to send a million e-mails about it to people who wouldn't care or know that anything changed.

davetravels Oct 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by stevekstevek (Post 17368660)
they probably don't want to send a million e-mails about it to people who wouldn't care or know that anything changed.

Well, you know, it still seems a little silly to get an eMail that your arrival time changed from 8:57 to 8:58! I guess, if they DIDN'T notify us of a minimal change, we'd have a ton of threads complaining about that!! :)

designflaw Oct 31, 2011 7:45 pm

Nope, aircraft/equipment change does not prompt any email alerts. As for 319, row 3 has been my choice as well.

ND76 Nov 1, 2011 8:19 pm

I've sat in the bulkhead row on the 319 (MEM-BWI) and had no complaints.

The F cabin on this type of airplane looks odd, because the width of the interior is greater than the MD-88 or the 737 while the seat modules are similar to those on the MD-88 or 737. Therefore, the aisle through the F cabin is very wide.

JimboM1391 Nov 1, 2011 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by adamj023 (Post 17368483)

Can't comment as to best seating on an A319 since Ive only been on A320's in one class configuration.

Umm... Then why chime in?

Stripe Nov 2, 2011 3:25 am

I've read on this site the A319 seat recline is huge and the tray tables for some unexplicable reason are still attached to the seat in front.

The seat recline in the A320 is huge. So much that you can be looking straight at the top of someone's head. I have never noticed the recline on the A319 to be abnormal. The tray tables in the seat backs are a NW legacy that I cannot explain. I suspect it would be costly for DL to either replace rows 2 nd 3 or retrofit them with pullout tables.

Originally Posted by a7800 (Post 17368518)

+1, except for the 6'5" part. 1A or 1D on the A319 are two of my favorite seats on DL aircraft.

wbl-mn-flyer Nov 7, 2011 11:05 pm

The 319 is horrible. Aside from the TV dinner, it it almost like flying in coach.