Wiki Posts
Search

Help! AF Strike and DL screwing me!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Help! AF Strike and DL screwing me!!

I am booked tomorrow DEN-ATL-CDG-HAM (DL-AF-AF) in paid business class. My ATL-CDG flight was canceled due to the AF strike. I called my travel agent (AMEX) but after 30 minutes on hold I gave up (they have a message saying they are extremely busy due to NE weather and AF strike).

I called the DL Platinum line. They told me I can't be protected on a non-partner over the ocean, and literally the ONLY option they had for me was DEN-ATL-STR-HAM (DL-DL-LH). They said that DL and LH have baggage agreements and not to worry (for the record, I'm worried, but that's not why I'm posting).

I checked the seat map, and the ATL-STU flight is on a DL 767-300ER-G. 5 rows of BusinessElite with seats that ONLY RECLINE 60 degrees! Are you kidding me??? I paid in excess of $5,000 for just a one-way to HAM and there is NO WAY that I'm flying a long-haul in 60 degree recline seats. Not to mention, they told me they can't put me in J on STR-HAM because my AMEX fare is "special" and they can't see it.

I am currently back on hold with AMEX since DL told me to call them back, but does anyone have any suggestions? I have a fully refundable fare, so I could just cancel the entire ticket and rebook on a more expensive ticket on BA or LH directly (DEN-LHR-HAM or DEN-FRA-HAM), but then I won't get my SkyTeam miles (which was the whole reason I booked with skyteam in the first place).

Please help....any advice welcome!

I am now on hold with AMEX again to see
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I am booked tomorrow DEN-ATL-CDG-HAM (DL-AF-AF) in paid business class. My ATL-CDG flight was canceled due to the AF strike. I called my travel agent (AMEX) but after 30 minutes on hold I gave up (they have a message saying they are extremely busy due to NE weather and AF strike).

I called the DL Platinum line. They told me I can't be protected on a non-partner over the ocean, and literally the ONLY option they had for me was DEN-ATL-STR-HAM (DL-DL-LH). They said that DL and LH have baggage agreements and not to worry (for the record, I'm worried, but that's not why I'm posting).

I checked the seat map, and the ATL-STU flight is on a DL 767-300ER-G. 5 rows of BusinessElite with seats that ONLY RECLINE 60 degrees! Are you kidding me??? I paid in excess of $5,000 for just a one-way to HAM and there is NO WAY that I'm flying a long-haul in 60 degree recline seats. Not to mention, they told me they can't put me in J on STR-HAM because my AMEX fare is "special" and they can't see it.

I am currently back on hold with AMEX since DL told me to call them back, but does anyone have any suggestions? I have a fully refundable fare, so I could just cancel the entire ticket and rebook on a more expensive ticket on BA or LH directly (DEN-LHR-HAM or DEN-FRA-HAM), but then I won't get my SkyTeam miles (which was the whole reason I booked with skyteam in the first place).

Please help....any advice welcome!

I am now on hold with AMEX again to see
The fine employees of AF are on strike and you think Delta is screwing you? Seriously?

Cancel your ticket and fly somebody else.....

Or better yet, start another thread when AMEX tells you to pound salt as well.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Work with Amex since they are the ticket issuer.

Since the cancellation is outside of Delta's control I would not expect them to protect you on another carrier other than KLM or DL. Have you looked at DEN-MSP/ATL/DTW/JFK-LHR-HAM? The US-LHR will have lie-flat seats and they may be willing to put you on LH on LHR-HAM.

The cradle seats in BE, which Delta offered are not that bad - it is like sleeping in a Lazy Boy recliener. And they have 60" of pitch (distance between seats) not 60º of recline - they are more 160º of recline.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...te/seating.jsp
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:31 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
The fine employees of AF are on strike and you think Delta is screwing you? Seriously?

+1.

Either this is a bad parody thread, or you should reread and reconsider what you wrote.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT

Since the cancellation is outside of Delta's control I would not expect them to protect you on another carrier other than KLM or DL. Have you looked at DEN-MSP/ATL/DTW/JFK-LHR-HAM? The US-LHR will have lie-flat seats and they may be willing to put you on LH on LHR-HAM.

The cradle seats in BE, which Delta offered are not that bad - it is like sleeping in a Lazy Boy recliener. And they have 60" of pitch (distance between seats) not 60º of recline - they are more 160º of recline.
Thanks, this is good info. And the pitch info is a relief in case I still get stuck with this. I'm not sure if it's due to the strike, but Kayak is showing absolutely no availability on MSP/ATL/DTW/JFK-LHR.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
If your travel is not urgent = just cancel.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You absolutely have to work through AMEX. Until you have flown the first leg, DL should not be able to touch the ticket without calling AMEX and having it released (which they won't do). In addition, "special" fare likely means corporate discount. DL can't do anything about that either.

While you may be stuck on hold for a long time waiting for AMEX because of the two situations (N.E. weather + AF strike), that's your only option.

If I were you, I would not wait around. Between the two events, there are a lot of pax out there looking for TPAC space and once that's gone, it may take days to find a seat.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:09 pm

AMS is a hub for both Delta and JV partner KLM. You might try and ask for a reroute through AMS, and with that you could transit any one of Delta's domestic hubs, fly to AMS, and make an easy connection in AMS to a KL-operated flight to HAM (e.g. DEN-MSP-AMS-HAM).

It looks like KLM operates 5 daily flights between AMS-HAM.

Good luck.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

After waiting on hold for 1.5 hours, I decided to call delta again on another line. I spoke to someone who told me that all LHR flights on DL were sold out, likely bc of the strike. So, to avoid the LH connection in coach (and just in general), they found a DEN-DTW-AMS-HAM all in business (DL-DL-KLM). That's definitely a step in the right direction.

About to end the call, I though what the hell and asked the agent if there was any way to put me on another airline in DEN because of all the mess, the ...... 767 (another old one DTW-AMS) and just because I asked nicely. She said "we're supposed to put you on any other available DL or KLM flight due to the strike if they're available before looking to other carriers, but you're right, this is a little ridiculous. Let me see what I can do".

Long story short, I'm now on DEN-LHR-HAM on BA and I still plan to ask for my miles on DL after it's all done.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:00 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
After waiting on hold for 1.5 hours, I decided to call delta again on another line. I spoke to someone who told me that all LHR flights on DL were sold out, likely bc of the strike. So, to avoid the LH connection in coach (and just in general), they found a DEN-DTW-AMS-HAM all in business (DL-DL-KLM). That's definitely a step in the right direction.

About to end the call, I though what the hell and asked the agent if there was any way to put me on another airline in DEN because of all the mess, the ...... 767 (another old one DTW-AMS) and just because I asked nicely. She said "we're supposed to put you on any other available DL or KLM flight due to the strike if they're available before looking to other carriers, but you're right, this is a little ridiculous. Let me see what I can do".

Long story short, I'm now on DEN-LHR-HAM on BA and I still plan to ask for my miles on DL after it's all done.
Nicely done! Glad it worked out and glad Delta came through - well above and beyond, IMO.

You should be able to ask for original routing credit for your cancelled flights.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTT

IF it's DL coded, DL should protect him.
@OP. Have you asked DL to send you through AMS?
You could go through MXP and connect with an AZ flight?
Or DL to LHR and then some other carrier to HAM. Suggest options to the PM rep. Be POLITE and FIRM

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm Reason: Post superseded by OP's resolution.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:08 am
mdb

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

Seriously? It most likely DL coded and all the TATL flights are codeshared....
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
TATL is a jv between AF/KL and DL. Any claims that DL can't help on AF are bogus.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
OP, you might want to have the title of your post changed to:
Delta treated me like a king
or
Delta broke the rules to put me on non-SkyTeam flights... thank you!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

And hopefully Delta gives you a big fat nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.