Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Amex companion certificate -- no fares found but I can find some

Redeeming Amex companion certificate -- no fares found but I can find some

Old Oct 20, 11, 6:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 52
Redeeming Amex companion certificate -- no fares found but I can find some

This is my first year with a companion certificate from the platinum American Express Delta Skymiles credit card.

When I try to book for a set of dates, I get:

"The search criteria you have entered may not meet the Terms and Conditions for the Certificate you are redeeming, or the class of service required may not be available".

According to the terms and conditions, the only eligibility requirements I can find are "Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service", and that "most fares" require an advance purchase of up to 30 days, and a 3 night maximum stay.

All of this seems to be valid in my case, and an attempt to buy tickets directly yields T class fares.

What's going on?

Last edited by tj-traveler; Oct 20, 11 at 6:40 am Reason: fix typo
tj-traveler is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 6:55 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by tj-traveler View Post
All of this seems to be valid in my case, and an attempt to buy tickets directly yields T class fares.

What's going on?
If your purchased ticket search for two or more passengers yields a round-trip LUT fare, you have a very good question. LUT for one isn't sufficient.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 7:04 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Posts: 11,551
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
If your purchased ticket search for two or more passengers yields a round-trip LUT fare, you have a very good question. LUT for one isn't sufficient.
thatd be my thought as well. try a regular revenue search for two seats and see if theyre both coming up lut.
tkey75 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 7:09 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 13,081
Not too surprising. The Amex companion ticket search engine is about on par with the award calendar... ie horribly dysfunctional.

If you find two tickets through normal revenue search and the companion search refuses to give them as options, you'll have to call and have an agent try to help.
rylan is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 7:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Posts: 2,218
Had similar problems when booking reservations with AMEX Companion certificated.
Calling in got the problems resolved and the itinerary booked.
dd1612 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 7:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Posts: 242
agreed. the companion search tool seems to conveniently leave out a lot of LUT options... i've had this issue and called in and they took care of it. if you can find 2xLUT on a regular revenue search they should give it to you when you call in
gte157q is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 8:10 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 52
Yes, my regular search was definitely for 2 passengers. Sounds like I shouldn't trust the companion search tool and just call.

Thanks!
tj-traveler is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 8:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC with eyes on the world
Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Posts: 529
Dealt with this 2 days ago...

I was trying to book NYC-LAS using a companion certificate wanting to fly out of JFK (direct) and back through ATL (times/seats better).

When I searched as a NYC-LAS r/t, couldn't get the return flights I wanted (fare class wasn't a problem). They didn't show up by schedule or price. Searched by segment by schedule and found what I wanted with U outbound and T on the return.

Tried to complete the booking and use certs to pay (i.e. companion certificate). Doesn't work that way.

Start with companion certificate; check the box next to cert # and click continue. Now you can book a flight. That's my learning #1.

#2 You MUST fly r/t between the exact same airport - no co-terminals permitted. After speaking to the DM line, I was transferred to IT because I could see the flights I wanted and could not book. IT confirmed to start with the cert and start/end airports must be the same.

When I searched starting with the companion certificate, the search shows complete r/t only and it lets you select by flight if you want (i.e. "this outbound flight" within the total r/t). When I did this and started from JFK, only JFK showed as a return option despite LGA being an option with this flight on the previous screen. When I clicked LGA as the outbound, same thing with only LGA as a return option.

Ended up JFK-LAS, LAS-JFK direct flights and good seats, but not optimal (as we FTs always strive to achieve). Evidently they've removed the "split the PNR, join the upgrade list" loophole, so not really expecting that to happen even on departure day. Oh well...at least the cost worked out to about $170 pp AI. (Oh yeah... I get the MQMs, RDMs, AMEX bonus miles, AND hopefully my birthday bonus.)
Crackerpup is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 11:50 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,673
Originally Posted by tj-traveler View Post
This is my first year with a companion certificate from the platinum American Express Delta Skymiles credit card.

When I try to book for a set of dates, I get:

"The search criteria you have entered may not meet the Terms and Conditions for the Certificate you are redeeming, or the class of service required may not be available".

According to the terms and conditions, the only eligibility requirements I can find are "Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service", and that "most fares" require an advance purchase of up to 30 days, and a 3 night maximum stay.

All of this seems to be valid in my case, and an attempt to buy tickets directly yields T class fares.

What's going on?
Only a few L, U and T fares are valid. Most are not.

It is not just that any L, U or T fare is sufficient. Only a few sub-types of those are valid.

If you call the "companion cert support desk" they will tell you that, and that they spend their whole day explaining that to others, that jus finding an L, U or T fare does not mean you can use your companion cert. The fare needs to be a specific L/U/Txxxx type (which you can not see yourself online or anywhere), and, most L, U and T fare types are not eligible for companion certs, only a few designated fares are.

It's as simple as that..
RealHJ is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 11:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,673
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Not too surprising. The Amex companion ticket search engine is about on par with the award calendar... ie horribly dysfunctional.

If you find two tickets through normal revenue search and the companion search refuses to give them as options, you'll have to call and have an agent try to help.
Not an option. When one calls the "companion cert support desk" will tell you that the only way to book is online, if it doesn't show online then it's not "the right type of L, U or T fare" and that's it.

The online booking engine for companion certs is working perfectly and as designed. It is searaching only for a few very specific sub-types of L/U/T fares that are actually eligible.
RealHJ is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 11:56 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,625
Originally Posted by tj-traveler View Post
This is my first year with a companion certificate from the platinum American Express Delta Skymiles credit card.

When I try to book for a set of dates, I get:

"The search criteria you have entered may not meet the Terms and Conditions for the Certificate you are redeeming, or the class of service required may not be available".

According to the terms and conditions, the only eligibility requirements I can find are "Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service", and that "most fares" require an advance purchase of up to 30 days, and a 3 night maximum stay.

All of this seems to be valid in my case, and an attempt to buy tickets directly yields T class fares.

What's going on?
Are you booking travel that ends before the cert expires?
houserulz77 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 12:07 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LEX
Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Posts: 1,132
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Only a few L, U and T fares are valid. Most are not.

It is not just that any L, U or T fare is sufficient. Only a few sub-types of those are valid.

If you call the "companion cert support desk" they will tell you that, and that they spend their whole day explaining that to others, that jus finding an L, U or T fare does not mean you can use your companion cert. The fare needs to be a specific L/U/Txxxx type (which you can not see yourself online or anywhere), and, most L, U and T fare types are not eligible for companion certs, only a few designated fares are.

It's as simple as that..
This is the answer. 100% correct.
jtrue28 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 1:02 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 13,081
I would disagree... I've had some flights that would not show up online. Checked the fare on the ones that showed up vs did not, and it was the same (not just L... the actual fare code). I called and they booked it for me.
rylan is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 1:34 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,673
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I would disagree... I've had some flights that would not show up online. Checked the fare on the ones that showed up vs did not, and it was the same (not just L... the actual fare code). I called and they booked it for me.
Then you need to tell others here what is your secret, as no matter how many times I've called I've been told that companion certs are never, ever, ever, booked by phone and if it doesn't work online, then it doesn't have "the right type of" L/U/T fare and to "have a nice day, would you like some cars or hotel reservations even though you couldn't book your flights with us?"
RealHJ is offline  
Old Oct 20, 11, 4:47 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 13,081
Not sure what the secret is... I just said that I was trying to book a routing and it wasn't coming up, then the agent looked into it and said oh, its the correct fare so it should show up... please hold and I'll have it booked.

The other situation is with the Reserve companion cert for F. That one never seems to work correctly for me. It shows different flights with successive searches (randomly depending on the phase of the moon, temperature etc), then coughs up with some error code when I've tried to book. End up calling and they do it.
rylan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: