Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag and check in on Alaska codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Bag and check in on Alaska codeshare

I'm flying PDX to LAS on a Delta ticket, but on Alaska metal (codeshare) Couple of questions:
1. I have one bag to check, and it's heavy, about 57lbs. Will I get charged for this? I'm a Diamond FF w/plat Amex.
2. Do I still check in at Delta counter? Or just go to the Alaska counter?

Thanks for the help FT.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
YouR bag should be free as per DL and AS website, but they might not let slide the 7 extra pounds. You go to the AS counter.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:51 pm

You will check-in with Alaska.

AS waives the fees for the first two pieces for DL elites, but only up to fifty pounds. Unless you can shave off the extra weight, you will likely be asked to pay for overweight luggage.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:24 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Having flown AS a fair amount in recent years, I know they are very strict. Up to 51 lb is OK. More is a hefty charge.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree AS is rather strict. Do you have any connecting travel within 12 hours from LAS on DL?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: AS 75k
As others have said, you check-in at AS and get two free bags up to 50 lbs each. Overweight is $50, so it'd probably be worth it to get another (cheap) bag or box to check. Not long ago, PDX pax had to take their checked bags from the AS counter to TSA baggage screening after check-in. So when I had a heavy bag, it would weigh 50 lbs at check-in but mysteriously gain extra weight by the time I made it over to security. (I believe Delta at PDX is still that way.) Unfortunately, AS now takes the bags at check-in.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
update

Thanks. I did check in at the AS gate. My bag was over the 50lbs, about 53lbs total weight. The gate agent mentioned this briefly, then just seemed to let it go and I wasn't charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.