FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Any DL/SkyTeam loyalists jumping on the OneWorld MegaDo? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1269661-any-dl-skyteam-loyalists-jumping-oneworld-megado.html)

highflyer2 Oct 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Any DL/SkyTeam loyalists jumping on the OneWorld MegaDo?

Since I cannot find anything about a SkyTeam MegDo being in the works, are any DL/SkyTeam loyalists planning to hop on the OneWorld MegaDo in January?

firstglobal Oct 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I was at the OWMD launch party in LA last weekend and it seemed like the majority of people there were either AA elites (for obvious reasons) or *A elites (who have apparently enjoyed their own "mega dos" so much that they want to crash parties for other alliances!).

Skyteam seemed to be the least represented of all allegiances, although it sounds like you will be welcomed. As I said, many of the people attending will be loyal to *A and the representatives from AA seemed keen to win them over. Attendees who are elites on other airlines will apparently be given a chance to "challenge" elite status on AA (notably, without the fees that normally accompany AA status challenges).

Also, it is rumoured that a DL representative will be on the OWMD to get ideas for a similar upcoming Skyteam event, although no firm plans are in place yet.

Hope that helps!

ryandc99 Oct 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by firstglobal (Post 17284055)
I was at the OWMD launch party in LA last weekend and it seemed like the majority of people there were either AA elites (for obvious reasons) or *A elites (who have apparently enjoyed their own "mega dos" so much that they want to crash parties for other alliances!).

Skyteam seemed to be the least represented of all allegiances, although it sounds like you will be welcomed. As I said, many of the people attending will be loyal to *A and the representatives from AA seemed keen to win them over. Attendees who are elites on other airlines will apparently be given a chance to "challenge" elite status on AA (notably, without the fees that normally accompany AA status challenges).

Also, it is rumoured that a DL representative will be on the OWMD to get ideas for a similar upcoming Skyteam event, although no firm plans are in place yet.

Hope that helps!

Myself and ThePointsGuy were also both there. I have also heard that there is something in the works for skyteam.

rwoman Oct 17, 2011 4:26 am

I am looking into it in order to see if my schedule can work to participate - looks to be a great event.

I requalified for DM yesterday, so it's not like DL's lost a customer...but I like my AA status too!

:)

highflyer2 Oct 17, 2011 8:17 am

Unfortunately, I don't fly enough to build much status with two airlines. So, for me, it's one or the other. I do see the OW event as a way to get to know another airline better, and have a little bit of a jump on building status with them. However, if I were sure that there will be a SkyTeam MegaDo soon, I'd probably pass on OW.

MSPeconomist Oct 19, 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 17284361)
Myself and ThePointsGuy were also both there. I have also heard that there is something in the works for skyteam.

I was there too. My impression is that the AA people were more focused on recruiting from *A than DL.

firstglobal Oct 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 17300156)
I was there too. My impression is that the AA people were more focused on recruiting from *A than DL.

Agreed, although I don't know if that says more about AA's priorities or just the makeup of the audience. Anyway, Maya (president of the AAdvantage program) did explicitly say that top-tier elites on DL and US would also be eligible for the status challenge. Hopefully, we will all know more details soon.

MSPeconomist Oct 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by firstglobal (Post 17303496)
Agreed, although I don't know if that says more about AA's priorities or just the makeup of the audience. Anyway, Maya (president of the AAdvantage program) did explicitly say that top-tier elites on DL and US would also be eligible for the status challenge. Hopefully, we will all know more details soon.

If you recall, she only corrected herself and said DL too after I asked her "what about DL Diamonds" when she was talking about challenges for current 1K people.

ryandc99 Oct 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 17303666)
If you recall, she only corrected herself and said DL too after I asked her "what about DL Diamonds" when she was talking about challenges for current 1K people.

Exactly, I don't think they realized there were many DL elites there.

highflyer2 Oct 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Glad to hear that a number of DL elites were there. I definitely may consider attending a little more than I did at first.

highflyer2 Nov 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Any more rumors about a DL MegaDo?

AndyTLe Nov 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by highflyer2 (Post 17487475)
Any more rumors about a DL MegaDo?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...-do%e2%80%99h/

Frequent Miler Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 17487495)

Thanks AndyTLe!

xolinlevh Nov 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I'd never heard of the MegaDO, how does one get in on it? invite only?

highflyer2 Nov 20, 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 17487495)

Thank you, AndyTLe!