Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to limit SkyClub access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My suggestion: No one under 21 is admitted. Period. This includes babies, children with parents, young DMs, etc. The only "exception" for some people's minds is that pregnant people would be admitted, provided they are not in labor.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My suggestion: No one under 21 is admitted. Period. This includes babies, children with parents, young DMs, etc. The only "exception" for some people's minds is that pregnant people would be admitted, provided they are not in labor.
^ This would solve a lot of problems / complaints!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by AUDirt
I'm with you on the shoes part. Isn't that a health code violation?

Regarding dress code in general, I don't think you can do too much. As another poster said, where would you draw the line?

If I'm on my way to a vacation, I may be in shorts. Is that okay? It should be.
Maybe they should put up signs saying that people should be worn at all times and MAYBE people would get the hint???

I have nop roblems with jeans or shorts (in good taste) at all. But I have seen teens wearing t-shirts with sayings and logos on them that are in bad taste. Early this summer I saw a kid that looked to be about 16 with a t-shirt and a bottle of vodka on it that said "absolut condom". Another time I saw someone in wearing pants that looked like lounging type pajama bottom pants. Some restaraunts wouldn't allow those kind of clothes to be worn. Problem is how do you enforce it? What might be considered in bad taste to one agent but be ok to another. And I am sure you will have agents that won't want to confront people.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA Gold; Hyatt Globalist; HH D, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by donb25
I sure do miss the BE lounge in ATL terminal E! Not just because of the upgraded amenities but the people were classy, well groomed / dressed and professional.
....could not agree more! I always attributed it to international travelers, very few Americans, and virtually no grotesque Americans in shorts and flip-flops. And no, I don't give a crap if you just came back from Cancun, put on some pants, nobody wants to see your sunburned flesh!

I have watched the Crown Room & World Club deteriorate slowly ever since the merger, IMO, when DL tried to up the revenue by selling day passes. The B lounges @ ATL are a complete joke!

where is the DL rep on this issue, come on already?

PS I may be an fat American, myself, but at least I try and dress appropriately and act w/ some manners when in public (airplanes ARE public places too).
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:43 pm

This thread (and threads like it) really bring out some interesting thoughts and opinions...

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Maybe they should put up signs saying that people should be worn at all times and MAYBE people would get the hint???
My wife likes to wear slip on sandals... Sometimes she'll kick them off under the table when we sit down. Kick her out?

(By the way, I agree in general about bare feet (in restaurants, in lounges, and especially on the airplane! Bad form by many of these people. Check out this post from the Points Guy. I would be really disgusted if somebody did this on the plane... Is This Appropriate First Class Behavior?)

Last edited by LarkSFO; Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And herein lies the rub. We have a large number of people that think $350 is a lot of money. It isn't. For a reasonably frequent traveler, it is something like $15 per visit. And for this chump change, people want free food, premium booze, and unfettered space. What is more absurd is that these same folks also think that this $350 should give them access to a large, nationwide network of such clubs.

Honestly, in what world is $350 a lot of money? Why do people expect more than what they are getting? Frankly, $15 per entry is about right for the current DL lounge product, if not a bit low, "overcrowding" and all.
I can't remember what my first Crown Room membership cost but it was, probably, close in cost to the current membership fees adjusted for inflation. Keep in mind, back in the old days, for a similar membership fee, there were no AmEx cardholders, no ultra frequent flyers admitted free as a benefit for their status, there was (some) food, there was alcohol and the space was certainly more unfettered than it currently is and it was a profitable business for DL. All I think what most people want is some of the old time value back in the memberships. For me, I'd be happy to pay more for some of the exclusivity back in the club. People expect more because if you read DL's history of the Crown Rooms, the current SCs don't measure up to what DL originally intended the lounges to be.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I can't remember what my first Crown Room membership cost but it was, probably, close in cost to the current membership fees adjusted for inflation. Keep in mind, back in the old days, for a similar membership fee, there were no AmEx cardholders, no ultra frequent flyers admitted free as a benefit for their status, there was (some) food, there was alcohol and the space was certainly more unfettered than it currently is and it was a profitable business for DL. All I think what most people want is some of the old time value back in the memberships. For me, I'd be happy to pay more for some of the exclusivity back in the club. People expect more because if you read DL's history of the Crown Rooms, the current SCs don't measure up to what DL originally intended the lounges to be.
+1
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
^ Best suggestion I have heard yet. Would definitely mean the SC's wouldn't feel like romper room at times (although you have the drunk adults who act like kids sometimes LOL) and if people are travelling with minors that would mean none of them would enter the SC. I am really surprised Delta allows people under 21 in the DTW and other self service bar skyclubs to enter with grandparents, aunts and uncles, boy or girlfriends parents, etc for liability reasons Although the rules states if you are under 21 you must be with your parents I have seen that rule broken many times at the DTW clubs.

Or at least with the airports with more than one club, have one that won't admit anyone under 21 and have another one that is more family friendly.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I guess if someone is literally on your back about something, would that meet this requirement?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by FishH2O
where is the DL rep on this issue, come on already?
Are you kidding?

I don't represent DL, but I'll try to give what would be their canned response to this issue.

"Over the last few years we have spent millions upgrading existing clubs and opening new facilities. We believe the SC offers its members the most premium experience possible while still operating within the economic challenges that we all face. And with our longtime partner, American Express, we will continue to look at additional ways for more travelers to be able to enjoy the SCs.

We appreciate your interest."
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:02 am

We are flying BE transatlantic and I think the lounges from DL are getting worse and worse. Last year in Munich they even gave us a voucher to buy some coffee and sandwiches because there was no lounge access at all (now they let you use the BA lounge - that is what they say on their website - I will kno in November). The ATL lounges are too crowded and what they offer is very basic. If you compare it to the Business lounge from Emirates in Munich e.g. it is like comparing flying First Class International to flying coach. You really enjoy beeing there and the food and drink selection is outstanding. With DL I am always glad if I can proceed directly to the gate without waiting time.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I would be in favor of this. Beware that the "my children are angels" crowd may beg to differ.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club

It would definitely help with the overcrowding as I would let my membership expire. We take 4-6 family trips per year and like having a place to hang out. Besides, how many teens do you see doing something other than texting/gaming while in the club? While they take up a seat, they're not running around causing mayhem. Toddlers on the other hand...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
My suggestion: No one under 21 is admitted. Period.
An excellent suggestion!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As to overcrowding in the Sky Clubs:

7) In spite of the frequent posts here about SC overcrowding, FT intentionally risks enabling the exacerbation of the problem via this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...irst-post.html

This also risks a reactionary response from DL management whereby those of us who occasionally use our guesting privileges could see those privileges curtailed based upon a DL management claim that we all are GAMING the system.
I agree with this statement. They won't police this, but it definitely is cause for concern.

My wife and I both use our AMEX Reserve benefit, but we would pay the membership fee if we didn't get that benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.