Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to limit SkyClub access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I'll get bashed here probably, but I think DL should take away the free SC benefit for DMs. That will help alleviate some of the over crowding in the domestic lounges.

For NRT, they need to expand the clubs. They are full of paid J passengers with many flights departing around the same time.
^ I agree. As a DM I would be happy to pay a couple hundred $ if it means I can actually enjoy the product.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by stencil
Are they giving access to anyone these days? This is ridiculous.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but I always liked the quiet, exclusive feeling of the clubs. This is now a conflagration of insanity.
I hear you! I hardly have room to shave, let alone clip my toenails in the Sky Clubs any more. Plus, they're so loud now I have to practically shout whilst on a call to my buddies when I brag to them I'm on my 4th double Dewar's.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Originally Posted by yohanson
I hear you! I hardly have room to shave, let alone clip my toenails in the Sky Clubs any more. Plus, they're so loud now I have to practically shout whilst on a call to my buddies when I brag to them I'm on my 4th double Dewar's.
See??? They HAVE let the Kettles run loose. I just pray that I do not get captured on a digital camera in the SC by one of those loathsome Kettle children with a digital camera that they received by selling me magazine subscriptions for Forbes and Golf Digest for some pitiful school fund raiser.

One precocious 4 yr old actually had the nerve to look me directly in the eye !!!!!

Whatever happened to boarding schools ???
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Feather Man
I just pray that I do not get captured on a digital camera in the SC by one of those loathsome Kettle children with a digital camera that they received by selling me magazine subscriptions for Forbes and Golf Digest for some pitiful school fund raiser.
Hopefully you will be wearing your Diamond Medallion hat for all photos... (at least the ones that get posted on the internets...)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by 1bentley
...will not be renewing. ...I can be more comfortable in the terminal.
+1
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:36 pm

I usually fly DL, but prefer AMEX access instead of purchasing SkyClub membership partly because when I don't fly DL I can often still get lounge access. Which raises the point - AA and US accept AMEX, but are rarely crowded, in my experience. UA/CO does not accept AMEX any longer, but their clubs still seem to be crowded (at least the CO ones). So my guess is that the real problem is not the AMEX, but that DL has actually been successful in recruiting a lot of passengers, including those interested in entry to the SkyClub.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As to overcrowding in the Sky Clubs:

3) The current program of club remodeling is geared towards a more open floor plan that allows for the "attract the masses and to hell with the experience" paradigm that is in favor with DL management right now. The DTW clubs, for those of you who appreciate them, are scheduled to be similarly reamed out. Ask the staff there... they are concerned.
And concerned they should be. I detest the new design. Feels very cold adding visual white noise to the audio noise.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I have been a Crown Room/SC member for many, many years and I have watched the product be diminished year after year and am quite frustrated with the decline in what we get in return. Just completed my challenge to diamond with Hilton this week and have spent less with Hilton this year than DL and the Hilton executive lounges are frequently a much better product than airline lounges. I recognize it's a different product but the point is that the quality of the product can be maintained and apparently can be achieved at a relatively low cost per entry. I would like to see DL implement a stratified entry system. Paid SC members get first shot, followed by DMs, followed by paid day pass sales, followed by AmEx cardholders, etc. Most importantly, I'd like to see them begin limiting "lower" categories of entry as the clubs fill up. What's wrong with saying "this lounge is at capacity to provide an exclusive product, there's another lounge on the E concourse (ATL) you can try." That way you can keep the benefit out there for all but guarantee entry to those who pay for it and help with the overcrowding issue. If a ST partner lounge can disallow entry to a partner based on "overcrowding" why can't DL disallow entry to a partner (AmEx) based on overcrowding?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I have been a Crown Room/SC member for many, many years and I have watched the product be diminished year after year and am quite frustrated with the decline in what we get in return. Just completed my challenge to diamond with Hilton this week and have spent less with Hilton this year than DL and the Hilton executive lounges are frequently a much better product than airline lounges. I recognize it's a different product but the point is that the quality of the product can be maintained and apparently can be achieved at a relatively low cost per entry. I would like to see DL implement a stratified entry system. Paid SC members get first shot, followed by DMs, followed by paid day pass sales, followed by AmEx cardholders, etc. Most importantly, I'd like to see them begin limiting "lower" categories of entry as the clubs fill up. What's wrong with saying "this lounge is at capacity to provide an exclusive product, there's another lounge on the E concourse (ATL) you can try." That way you can keep the benefit out there for all but guarantee entry to those who pay for it and help with the overcrowding issue. If a ST partner lounge can disallow entry to a partner based on "overcrowding" why can't DL disallow entry to a partner (AmEx) based on overcrowding?
Because AMEX is much more than a partner. It is DLs financial backer. DL is getting a lot of money AMEX and in return it is expected to give something back. AMEX does pay DL per swipe in at the SCs. Also what do you think AMEX is going to do when it gets dozens of angry phone calls from customers stating they were denied lounge access, a benefit AMEX promotes heavily.

It really comes down to we cant have our cake and eat it too. We cannot have numerous Skyclub locations and free booze based solely on the fees from actual SC members. There needs to be alternative sources of revenue and AMEX is it.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50
I would like to see DL implement a stratified entry system. Paid SC members get first shot, followed by DMs, followed by paid day pass sales, followed by AmEx cardholders, etc. Most importantly, I'd like to see them begin limiting "lower" categories of entry as the clubs fill up....That way you can keep the benefit out there for all but guarantee entry to those who pay for it and help with the overcrowding issue. If a ST partner lounge can disallow entry to a partner based on "overcrowding" why can't DL disallow entry to a partner (AmEx) based on overcrowding?
Your solution is based on the idea that somehow many of the people that use the clubs are somehow doing so for free.

How do you arrive at who is a 'lower' category of entry?

If pax A pays $450 outright to use the club, does he have right of first entry? He has generated only $450 in income for the year to DL.

If pax B obtains access as a DM, does he have right of first entry? He has potentially generated tens or maybe hundreds of thousands dollars in revenue for DL, and granting him access as a small token of appreciation is a small price.

If pax C pays $50 for the day, does he get first right? He has paid more directly to the club than anyone else for a single use.

If pax D accesses the club via his AMEX PLAT or CENT card, and uses the clubs very often then he can possibly generate more revenue to the club directly than any of the others, and as a group (all AMEX access combined) definitely more than the others.

Your stratified system is built on a false premise that some customers are some how more entitled than others to use a product that they are all paying for.
This of course does not apply to guest access, and I think we can all agree that this is an area that needs to be addressed.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA nothing
Originally Posted by Buckshot
And concerned they should be. I detest the new design. Feels very cold adding visual white noise to the audio noise.

+1
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by ssk1127
Which raises the point - AA and US accept AMEX, but are rarely crowded, in my experience. UA/CO does not accept AMEX any longer, but their clubs still seem to be crowded (at least the CO ones).
DL and CO clubs = free alcohol
AA and US clubs = pay for alcohol (except cheap house wine in some US clubs at certain hours of the day).

Period!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
They should have kept the Biz Elite lounge.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
This is slightly off topic...

United / Continental just ended their relationship with AMEX Plat, and you can no longer access United Club with the Plat card or Priority Pass (Select).

I wonder if this has had a positive impact on overcrowding in the United Clubs?
Actually Priority Pass just expanded their relationship with United Clubs. PP members can now access almost ALL United lounges (all but KIX for whatever reason).
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by donb25
DL and CO clubs = free alcohol
AA and US clubs = pay for alcohol (except cheap house wine in some US clubs at certain hours of the day).

Period!
I think you are a bit out of date. UA and AA offer the same free alcohol as DL (Well liquor, wine and beer). This is why it is important to have other airline experience on these boards. You can be making decisions based on old data. A great example is the new Platinum tier at UA. Many folks still think a Plat match to UA will = Gold (Prem exec). Not so any longer. Not endorsing UA Plat as I have no idea how it lines up just making a point that this stuff is always changing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.