Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to limit SkyClub access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My suggestion: No one under 21 is admitted. Period. This includes babies, children with parents, young DMs, etc. The only "exception" for some people's minds is that pregnant people would be admitted, provided they are not in labor.
What a ludacris idea. I was under 21 when I first started traveling heavily for business purposes. I also had a DL reserve and DL plat in my own name. Why should I be denied access to a benefit that I paid for. There are other things besides booze that SCs are useful for. Also what about all the old guys yelling into their cell phones about how important they are, just because someone is under 21 does not mean they are going to cause problems.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
An excellent suggestion!
I imagine all in favor of not allowing anyone under the age of 21, doesn't have kids under the age of 21?

Not all kids are out of control. My 7 year old sits very quietly and plays video games. They're adults that are more out of control then some teens and children.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
They're adults that are more out of control then some teens and children.
Very true, and that should be addressed as well.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I imagine all in favor of not allowing anyone under the age of 21, doesn't have kids under the age of 21?

Not all kids are out of control. My 7 year old sits very quietly and plays video games. They're adults that are more out of control then some teens and children.
I agree there are some drunk adults that act out of control and if that's the case they should be told to calm down or leave.

My biggest complaint with kids in the SC, is someone can bring in ANY number of kids. Yet a businessman can only bring in two adult guests at a time? That is why I wish they would allow xx number of visitors a year. If they are going to limit it two guests for a businessman and then it should be limited to 2 guests PERIOD per visit for free regardless of age or relationship.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by donb25
US Air has the worst clubs in the system!
US Air's clubs are horrific (excluding the Envoy in PHL). They gave some elite's a "club trial" as a perk, and rather than convincing me to buy a club pass, it convinced me to not set foot in there again. Most backward club's I've ever seen...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jtrue28
I agree with this statement. They won't police this, but it definitely is cause for concern.

My wife and I both use our AMEX Reserve benefit, but we would pay the membership fee if we didn't get that benefit.
Well they have proven to me a couple times they won't police. When someone is asking how much a day pass is or complaining to an agent and a member at the counter offers to guest them in and the agent doesn't say a thing......

If they would limit the number of guests you can bring in a year instead of allowing unlimited family members or two adult guests, much of that would stop FAST. If someone is travelling alone, they aren't going to care about guesting in a stranger (and I saw it happen once at LAX and it really iritated me because the stranger the member guested in before I got scanned in got put ahead of me on the shower list). If you are limited to xxx number of guests per year, they are going to be a lot less likely to guest someone in that is a stranger. As crowded as the clubs are, I don't know why any member is guesting in strangers, it just contribues even more to the problem.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
We could all help reduce overcrowding by closing the Skyclub Meeting Thread from this forum.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I agree there are some drunk adults that act out of control and if that's the case they should be told to calm down or leave.

My biggest complaint with kids in the SC, is someone can bring in ANY number of kids. Yet a businessman can only bring in two adult guests at a time? That is why I wish they would allow xx number of visitors a year. If they are going to limit it two guests for a businessman and then it should be limited to 2 guests PERIOD per visit for free regardless of age or relationship.
That is not a good idea either. I have two small kids and a wife - which one should I leave out? Obviously, I am not suggesting make rules that work for me - just an illustration.
The reason your idea doesn't help is that your adult guests are inevitably going to be consuming club resources that my kids would not. WiFi, workstations, phones, alcohol, printed matter, plugs, etc. I would venture that most kids that are in the SC are glued to their battery operated entertainment devices and have headphones on. The most resources my kids would consume in a SC would be apple juice and biscoffs.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by runfit
That is not a good idea either. I have two small kids and a wife - which one should I leave out? Obviously, I am not suggesting make rules that work for me - just an illustration.
The reason your idea doesn't help is that your adult guests are inevitably going to be consuming club resources that my kids would not. WiFi, workstations, phones, alcohol, printed matter, plugs, etc. I would venture that most kids that are in the SC are glued to their battery operated entertainment devices and have headphones on. The most resources my kids would consume in a SC would be apple juice and biscoffs.
Simple solution. Joint membership with your wife, unless you think it isn't worth the $$$. My wife barely reaches FO each year, but I think the joint membership is worth it because she can use the SC when traveling to see me at my job sites.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runfit
Pay to guest the 2nd child in? Like I said before they should just give members xxx number of guest entries a year. If someone is travelling with their kids just a couple times a year or with a few business associates a few times a year and normally goes into the club solo the other times then it isn't a big deal. If Mike Brady is travelling every month with his six kids or a business man travels with 2 coworkers every week and guesting them in, that is contributing to the overcrowing. I wish in hub cities they would have one club designated for just adults and another one more "family friendly" (have things like toys at that one and no booze and more kid oriented snacks), the parents wouldn't have to worry about their kids being around drunk people and harsh language (I have heard cell phone conversations in the SC I wouldn't want my kids overhearing) and the people that wanted a more adult setting would have it. I am sure most parents wouldn't want a bunch of adults sitting around drinking in an environment for kids such as a playground.

There are adults that enter the SC that don't drink as well. I have seen kids use the outlets before for their portable DVD players and recharge their IPODS, etc. The kids also take up seats and room in the SC. And I have seen kids on the public computers before playing games and on facebook when I have just wanted to use it to print out my BP for the HOOU coupon. With the public terminals I wish they would block things like facebook and games, or at least put a timed limit on them for both adults and kids.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Simple solution. Joint membership with your wife, unless you think it isn't worth the $$$. My wife barely reaches FO each year, but I think the joint membership is worth it because she can use the SC when traveling to see me at my job sites.
If someone is married or has a partner, the joint membership can be a good investment.

Maybe they should sell a family membership for people travelling with a couple kids who access the club a lot of times a year? If you belong to the Y or gym you pay more for a family membership. Social clubs typically charge more for couples and family memberships.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

This was one of my earlier points. limit the number of yearly guests...

All be said, i am not totally against the under 21 crowd, but keeping the kids out may actually help to keep the annoying, irresponsuble parents out. After all, I don't blame the kids as they are merely a reflection of their parents....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
NOBODY should be allowed in , at all, period. That will solve the overcrowding AND make it the most exclusive club of any airline. Overhead will be reduced to almost nothing as all you need is a single dragon to stand at the desk and deny entry to...well, everybody. They can stock the best of the best (Dom, Ardbeg 25yo 1975, Opus one, etc) and never worry about running out..

Seriously the issue is DM. I am one for another 2 years and I would GLADLY pay for a membership if it cut down the crowds. I am now a RCC member and for years I have told people how much better the SC is/was. Now that the RCC has free booze and the you MUST pay...even GS members never mind 1K's so it is not nearly as crowded as SC's.

MAKE US PAY.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:23 am

I wish in hub cities they would have one club designated for just adults and another one more "family friendly" (have things like toys at that one and no booze and more kid oriented snacks), the parents wouldn't have to worry about their kids being around drunk people and harsh language (I have heard cell phone conversations in the SC I wouldn't want my kids overhearing) and the people that wanted a more adult setting would have it. I am sure most parents wouldn't want a bunch of adults sitting around drinking in an environment for kids such as a playground.
While that would be nice, how is a drunk, loud, harsh-language user worse than many kids?
I do agree with your first point - allow a certain number of guests a year. I have only brought one of my kids in to a club so far. Most of the time I do it solo, so something like that would work for someone like me.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
This was one of my earlier points. limit the number of yearly guests...

All be said, i am not totally against the under 21 crowd, but keeping the kids out may actually help to keep the annoying, irresponsuble parents out. After all, I don't blame the kids as they are merely a reflection of their parents....

And that is the fairest way of doing it. If someone brings in two guests every week, and I just wanted to guest in 3 associates a few times a year....The person guesting in two people a week isn't paying a dime but I have to pay to guest in one of the associates, even though over the course of a year I would be using a LOT less club resources.

I really don't have a problem with the under 21 crowd either (now screaming babies are another story LOL) if they behave, my complaint is that I am limited to bringing in two adults per visit when I usually only want to guest in 3 other adults a few times a year, while someone can guest in as many under 21 year olds as they want.

And they need to enforce it to ONLY the members ACTUAL kids. If people are going to guest in their grandkids, they should pay. If people guest in their adult kids and their adult kids minors, they should be limited to two people and pay the day fee for anyone past two relatives. The t&c clearly state that family is the MEMBERS spouse and the MEMBERS children, not other peoples children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.