Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Please help me better understand DL PNR...???

Please help me better understand DL PNR...???

Old Oct 15, 11, 9:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever I happen to be....
Programs: DL EOS...
Posts: 1,111
Please help me better understand DL PNR...???

Next week I'm flying DL/Pinnacle JFK-YYZ with 2 additional non-medallion passengers on my reservation. These 2 other passengers show in my seat selector.

My company purchased the tix and I'm told treated as one reservation (PNR?) but if I wish to be eligible for UG or do SDC I would need to separate the ticket. Current equipment is a CRJ so UG probably isn't an issue but I did change my seat assignment to a preferred seat up front. Which didn't seem to affect my traveling partners.

No plan to SDC on the depart but I've got time for the return day and I might wish to SDC in hope to grab a few extra miles and maybe snag a bigger chair on CRJ700/900, 319, 767 going through DTW?

My primary question is how does splitting a PNR affect other non-medallion members of my traveling party? I'm sure I would be fine but 'can't risk splitting-up my tix and find out later it messed with my travel partners/associates?

Also, does DL consider this domestic travel? Any differences regarding PM benefits that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance...
Ti22 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 9:41 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Splitting the PNR means you won't be rebooked as a group if there are irregular flight operations. It means your co-travelers won't get your elite checked luggage allowance.

SDC isn't a benefit that applies to a group; eligibility (and fee waiver) applies to the elite traveler only.

Canada is considered international for lounge access purposes. This is detailed in the access criteria in the SkyClub lounge directory.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ions/index.jsp
3Cforme is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 10:02 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever I happen to be....
Programs: DL EOS...
Posts: 1,111
3Cforme - nice to know about SC access, thank you! And good to know about the possible checked luggage complication too. I don't think they're checking any bags but will definitely look into that.

I understand non-status wouldn't be eligible for complimentary SDC. But I was thinking of splitting off and doing it on my own for the return but thanks to you I better understand the potential effects on irrop/luggage allowance.

OMT - if I do split the PNR is that something that must be done before the originating portion of the trip or can it be split during the middle of the itinerary?

'appreciate the good help!
Ti22 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 10:18 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
If you're going to split it, do it before the 5+ day Medallion upgrade window opens. (Don't play favorites and try to do a Companion upgrade if you have more than one with you on the same flights.)
3Cforme is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 10:33 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever I happen to be....
Programs: DL EOS...
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
If you're going to split it, do it before the 5+ day Medallion upgrade window opens. (Don't play favorites and try to do a Companion upgrade if you have more than one with you on the same flights.)
Current equipment is CRJ in/out no FC, 'don't think UG window's a concern.

But if I wish to split PNR in the middle of the itinerary to SDC my return is that possible?

I also noticed that International SC access allows me one guest but then I'm stuck playing favorites there too. LOL...

So many little details buried in all of this it's nice to learn from wise ones' here on FT. It took me a long time to figure out Transcon SC access, 'felt like quite the idiot when I realized all those hours spent waiting at a boarding gate with FC Transcon BP in my pocket...

Thanks again...
Ti22 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 12:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,703
Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post
Current equipment is CRJ in/out no FC, 'don't think UG window's a concern.

But if I wish to split PNR in the middle of the itinerary to SDC my return is that possible?

I also noticed that International SC access allows me one guest but then I'm stuck playing favorites there too. LOL...

So many little details buried in all of this it's nice to learn from wise ones' here on FT. It took me a long time to figure out Transcon SC access, 'felt like quite the idiot when I realized all those hours spent waiting at a boarding gate with FC Transcon BP in my pocket...

Thanks again...
If you or a colleague has a Delta AmEx card you can get a $25 SC day pass; the three of you could split the cost.
CarmenOM is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 5:37 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever I happen to be....
Programs: DL EOS...
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
If you or a colleague has a Delta AmEx card you can get a $25 SC day pass; the three of you could split the cost.
'nice idea, thanks. i gotta Gold Amex and actually forgot have a day pass so with time to kill this could work out good...
Ti22 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 7:03 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,267
As a DM I have never been upgraded on 20 segments of JFK YYZ over the last 2.5 yrs on the CRJ100/200. (No F seat to be upgraded to)

As PM you can bring in one guest to SC on the same international itinerary, same PNR not needed.

Same PNR- they will get your companion benefits such as baggage allowance.

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 15, 11 at 7:19 pm
tentseller is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 10:32 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wherever I happen to be....
Programs: DL EOS...
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
As a DM I have never been upgraded on 20 segments of JFK YYZ over the last 2.5 yrs on the CRJ100/200. (No F seat to be upgraded to)

As PM you can bring in one guest to SC on the same international itinerary, same PNR not needed.

Same PNR- they will get your companion benefits such as baggage allowance.
Thanks, it looks like the non-stop is always CRJ100/200 so I figured UG was moot. But I do have time to spare for the return trip and was looking perhaps SDC myself through DTW with CRJ700/900 service and then A319 and 767 to JFK.

Doing that might also snag a few more skymiles/MQM's? And in addition, the current return flight looks pretty full so DL might appreciate if I freed up a seat with SDC?

Need to split the PNR but if it's just the baggage allowance my companions will lose, I don't think they will be checking any bags?

I appreciate the good info, thanks again!
Ti22 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 11, 11:16 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,267
Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post
... But I do have time to spare for the return trip and was looking perhaps SDC myself through DTW with CRJ700/900 service and then A319 and 767 to JFK.

Doing that might also snag a few more skymiles/MQM's? And in addition, the current return flight looks pretty full so DL might appreciate if I freed up a seat with SDC? ...
You will definitely be able to get on a earlier or later YYZ JFK on the same day however SDC at YYZ you need to factor in the YYZ CATSA and CBP process which during busy US bound hours can be 2+ hours.
Perhaps you can let me know your YYZ JFK flight info, where in the city are you getting to the airport from and method of airport transfer I can advice timing required. You can PM me if you do not want this info posted in public.

Depending on your fare class or routing SDC onto a different itinerary like what you suggested might not be possible.
tentseller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: