Have you ever gotten sick on a flight?

Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My first trip overseas, in high school JFK-MAD on Pan Am, someone nearby got sick and the smell combined with some old lady's perfume and made me sick. Spent some time in the lav, luckily the crew did a nice job cleaning up from whoever it was, once the smell subsided I was OK.

The worst time was not from being "ill" but terribly hung over and an early morning flight to catch. I barely made it through the flight SLC-ORD-DAY.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Gold), Marriott (Platinum), IHG (Gold), Hyatt (Gold), Avis First
Well, my closest experience about getting sick was my wife not feeling well this weekend. We were going ATL to SYR, get all seated in and she couldn't do it. She started sweating all of a sudden and felt suffocated. Needless to say, we had to jump off the plane and catch the next one. Thanks to Delta folks, they didn't say anything to us or charged us anything (I am only Silver). All is good now.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL KM
Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Food poisoning can happen within an hour of the time of ingestion.

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
while that is a cute story, food poisoning doesn't happen for at least 12 hours after you ingest the suspect food. So my guess is that you had something that wasn't up to speed before you boarded the flight.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Food poisoning can happen within an hour of the time of ingestion.
It can happen that quickly. But if it does, then it isn't some viral or bacteria-related problem, it's due to actual poisons (i.e. chemicals). If one of these toxins made it into a catered meal, everyone who ate the meal would be sick.

Could a crappy meal make you feel sick in 30 minutes, sure. But the type and severity of the symptoms that were described, and the fact that only one person experienced them, suggest that an earlier meal (prob. at least 8 hours earlier) was contaminated.

Anyone who has had food-safety training will tell you: if a customer calls at closing and says they got food poisoning from the dinner they had a few hours ago, you are probably safe. If you served them lunch (or dinner the previous night) you better worry.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: DL KM
While that might be true for some pathogenic microorganisms, it doesn't cover the gamut of possibilities that the OP might have experienced. We don't have enough information to make an informed opinion on his/her specific situation.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/F.../ucm071342.htm

Remember, the OP originally stated that the symptoms started at the 10,000 ft bell, so the food had not been served yet. His/her problem started before they got on the plane. Could have been a last minute meal, or a violent reaction that is specific to the OP. What the rest of the passengers on this plane experienced are not relevant to this discussion.

Originally Posted by houserulz77
It can happen that quickly. But if it does, then it isn't some viral or bacteria-related problem, it's due to actual poisons (i.e. chemicals). If one of these toxins made it into a catered meal, everyone who ate the meal would be sick.

Could a crappy meal make you feel sick in 30 minutes, sure. But the type and severity of the symptoms that were described, and the fact that only one person experienced them, suggest that an earlier meal (prob. at least 8 hours earlier) was contaminated.

Anyone who has had food-safety training will tell you: if a customer calls at closing and says they got food poisoning from the dinner they had a few hours ago, you are probably safe. If you served them lunch (or dinner the previous night) you better worry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.